Brake light Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job I like it.

I would try to used led 1157 bulbs if you can find them.
The standard bulbs pull a lot amps. just my thoughts

All my lights are leds and my front head light is like a led light. My volts with the fan running 14.2 when fan kicks on 13.7 then jumps 14.2

My rear brake light leds is around the cateye light.

With all lights on brake and high beam head lights fan and the added lights 7. My volts just check 14.2 to 14.4 I have R1 rectifier that has 10 gauge to the battery and 12 gauge wire to the stator. And my 30amp fuse holder stock replace with New 10 gauge 30 fuse holder that runs to the battery and main red wire. All my connects are not solder together I just always clamp the female connect almost closed and push the male end hard. This is me mind you, I just like pulling things apart I have to.

Attachments

• P1050969.jpg
    P1050969.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P1050968.jpg
    P1050968.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 57
  • P1050966.jpg
    P1050966.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Great mod,

I`m all LED also
except my 6 inch head lamp
maybe this winter $240.00 :damn angry:
I hyde a 2`` digital volt-meter near-by my fork neck
and yes you can see fan or hight beam draining some volts

LEDs are the way to go. i have the cbr taillight mod and an led trailer light out back and stock fitting switchback leds up front with a HID headlight.

LED Headlight.jpg
How does this LED Headlight bulb compare to the light output of the stock headlight bulb?

View attachment 45154
How does this LED Headlight bulb compare to the light output of the stock headlight bulb?

It does ok. I have 2 bulbs in my vrod headlight mod & have them both wired to come on at the same time, making it much better. Being that there LED it draws very little amps with both on

Honestly I think they are for day light running

Attachments

• 20140320_190846.jpg
    20140320_190846.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140320_190830.jpg
    20140320_190830.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 31
I was wondering more in the lines of, how much light that LED bulb can throw to the road in front of you vs the Stock bulb. I find that LED's are great for attention getters, which is why I used them on the turning signals and brake lights. If you can post a night time pic of the LED Headlamp and how it lights up the road in front, that would be great.

When I update my R/R I'm going with HID light like I had before, much better lighting IMHO. I went through 2 ballast shorting out because the stock R/R any way I'll try & take some pics for you this weekend

+1 on the HID its the way to go. everyone i ride with and those i work with always comment on how bright my headlight is and how far away they see me coming, even in broad daylight. plus at only $35 for the 35w hi/lo beam from DDMtuning you cant go wrong. i have only had mine for 6 months or so and for longevity i believe some folks on here have had theirs for years with no problems.
at one point i thought i had a bad balast when my switch got dirty and the headlight quite working. when i contacted the company they were quick to respond, they gave me a few checks to make before i shipped the part back but were very willing to replace defective parts. i have no complaints about their leds as well. im running their switchbacks in my front blinkers on my max and have leds in my wifes jeep reverse lights and the license plate lights, cargo lights and reverse lights in my dodge and i love all of them. more juice for the battery.....

+1 on the HID its the way to go. everyone i ride with and those i work with always comment on how bright my headlight is and how far away they see me coming, even in broad daylight. plus at only $35 for the 35w hi/lo beam from DDMtuning you cant go wrong. i have only had mine for 6 months or so and for longevity i believe some folks on here have had theirs for years with no problems.
at one point i thought i had a bad balast when my switch got dirty and the headlight quite working. when i contacted the company they were quick to respond, they gave me a few checks to make before i shipped the part back but were very willing to replace defective parts. i have no complaints about their leds as well. im running their switchbacks in my front blinkers on my max and have leds in my wifes jeep reverse lights and the license plate lights, cargo lights and reverse lights in my dodge and i love all of them. more juice for the battery.....

Hy,
I can`t tell if HID are all the same but my Friend `Speedcostsmoney` VMFN member had a PAIR of HID in it`s cyber-max front head. (one=low.....two=hight)

His first trouble came from the handle starter switch mechanism.
That coper made mecanism turn the headlight off whyle starter is on and then back on when starter switch relieve. (it came all pited, from enormous courrent draw)
Hight/low swirch on the left handle came pited also (in fact, the first clue came from that switch)

So, i fit two BUSCH relay ; one for the head light and one for hight/low beam on a fused bigger wire directly from the batery.

At this 2010 new year garage wrenching good Buddy time :biglaugh: i did read out how much amp those HID are draining out. Remember that was hight but can`t tell how much

Those HID draine so much courrent and VMax givng so low, LED tail and front/position/flasher mod is a good to help to alternator/control box system.

Regards

Last edited:
A real hid kit should come with ballasts and actually draw less current than a halogen bulb. I think something was going wrong on that bike.

A real hid kit should come with ballasts and actually draw less current than a halogen bulb. I think something was going wrong on that bike.

Oups!
maybe something missing there, was that realy HID (as you say)
Do have any info to replace my stock bulb to HID without draing that much courent
i would appreciate
thanks

View attachment 45154

I went through few led type head lights some suck, Some work better than others. It's hit or miss.

The head led light I have through out a nice beam to the front and ground - hi beam only is what I use at night. The low beam is on a switch I can turn off and on. The low beam is bright enough for a running light only day riding.

Some gp racer's has lights like this on there bikes.

If any 1 trying to up grade the head light to led type - you must do some reading on reviews, People that install them on the bikes.

Some led brake lights 1157 are brighter than others and that go's for the led head light to.

Some of the HID lights I seen are kinda high in price I think.

I plan to look into a good LED (Maybe Cree LED), to replace the stock Headlamp. One thing though. When using the stock bulb, when you go from normal to high beam, you're energizing another filament. So, unless I'm missing something, the LED upgrade only has the 1 diode emitter. So, how do you go from running beam to high beam if you need too?

I'd skip the LED headlights for now. They are really bright to look at, but don't actually send as much light down the road.

Latest posts

Back