Bend over grab ankles..... No vaseline either

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Well this is the final result on my jet kit install with my local dealershit.

I bought a 2007 VMAX that had UFO 4 into 1 with no carb work so I decided to install a jet kit and bought it from Sean at Morley's Muscle.

I called the dealershit first to make sure they could install a jetkit other than dynojet, of course they said sure.

Dropped my bike off Tuesday night and as of Friday they couldn't get it to work.

Friday Sean overnighted some needles and also ordered a needle that he didn't have from DynoJet and they overnighted it to the dealer because he thought he needed the needles.

Sean also sent him new Yamaha slides to put the bike back to stock in case the needles didn't work. Tell me that Sean doesn't stand behind his products and I'll call you a ball face liar !!!!

This was the dyno run before they touched my bike

first_run.jpg

About $600 later

last_run.jpg

As you can see for the $600 I lost HP but my A/F got much better....​

This is what the mechanic said ( NOT ME )

He called me today and said " That kit is offically shit" once I got the needles that I could adjust the set up got 1000% better so the kit without the needles like DynoJet is crap!" He also said the airbox that Sean designed give a large quanity of air but the volocity of the air is slow which is one reason he says the loss of HP.

Rememeber that is a quote from the mechanic not me, I personally think the mechanic doesn't know what he is doing.

I can see the A/F look better than they did before the kit was installed and that is what the mechanic says I should be happy about because at the way my A/F was before it would cause so much heat it would melt my pistons.

I have the option to have him put my bike back to the way it was before he did any work on it and use the $400 new slides that Sean sent, to be honest I DO NOT think they can get my bike back to the way it was so I WILL NOT waste the new slides that Sean was nice enough to send.

I'll ship them back to Sean.

My bike feels different, not a good different just "different" The things I notice are

1. Seems the rpm's go up faster, I find myself having to shift sooner than I did before

2. In 2nd gear at 4000 rpm's @30 MPH I notice a skip or kinda surge, it's just not a nice even feel. The mechanic says that he can adjust the needle to make it leaner to help with that, he says it will take about 15 minutes so I guess I will let him and see what happens.

3. On deceleration I hear more rapping out of the pipes, not sure if this is normal with the kit or just another side effect from the install.

I want to make this very clear,

I DO NOT blame Sean's kit for the problems with my bike, I now believe it's the mechanic. Am I pissed? you bet I am but not at Sean, he did everything he could to help this mechanic and did more than he had to. My next purchase from Sean will be a new front and rear seat. I figure if I have to ride my bike the way it is now at least I can be comfortable doing it :rofl_200:

what have I learnt from this experience, stay the F%&k away from dealerships..

It really sucks to spend $600 and have less than what I had before spending it.. I'm sure I could have corrected the A/F for far less than $600

Ron

Going leaner on the needles is gonna make the surge worse. Normally a surge at part throttle means it too lean IIRC.
What did they do to make it better than before? What jetting did they end up with?Your still waaaay lean near peak hp. Fix that and you'll have your hp back if not better.

maybe the word "Surge" is the wrong word.. it just acts like a quick loss of power and then it comes right back...I can't explain it in words...

That would describe a surge pretty well. Quick loss in power, then back, then loss again and so on. Not as quick or definate as a dead missfire. When running rich, the throttle input feels "fluffy" or lackluster. It will run pretty smooth(as long as its not TOO rich) at steady throttle but when you open the throttle a little it will softly respond or it can even slow down(or bogg) when opening the throttle.
If it were me, I would go richer on the needles, not leaner. I would also wanna figure out why its lean up top. Happen to know what jetting they ended up running?

I'll find out all that Tuesday, he finally got it to perform where the dyno sheet indicates. he said to take it ride it over the weekend and then tell him what I think, he was closing the shop and said it was his birthday and wanted to get out of there so I didn't ask many questions.

It sucks because they keep telling me he is losing money because he has 12 hours on my bike and if he had the needles it would have taken 2 hours so now they are trying to get rid of me..

I have little to none options.. Whatever I say he blames it on Seans kit

it just sucks

That would describe a surge pretty well. Quick loss in power, then back, then loss again and so on. Not as quick or definate as a dead missfire. When running rich, the throttle input feels "fluffy" or lackluster. It will run pretty smooth(as long as its not TOO rich) at steady throttle but when you open the throttle a little it will softly respond or it can even slow down(or bogg) when opening the throttle.
If it were me, I would go richer on the needles, not leaner. I would also wanna figure out why its lean up top. Happen to know what jetting they ended up running?

It's is the slightest surge if it's a surge, it's not often I would ride my bike at 4000 rpm's in 2 nd gear and doing 30 mph but I still notice it because I was looking for things.

On my way home when I bought the bike in the top gear I would hit the throttle and it flew now it doesn't have that same power.

Just another reason to not let the dealer mess with your bike. For them to think for even a minute that they know more about the vmax than guys like Sean (and several others on the forum) is a joke.

These modern day mechanics have no clue about carb work anyway. There used to that "fool injection" and if it's not plug and play they are baffled.

I think from the way it sounds your in the same boat as me and need to shim those needles a bit. My bike acts rough at full throttle from 4-6k. Is that where your seeing it?

I'm going to ride again tomorrow and pay close attention and will get back to you on where I notice the problems. Today I was so pissed off I parked it.....

I'm going to ride again tomorrow and pay close attention and will get back to you on where I notice the problems. Today I was so pissed off I parked it.....

I know that feeling! Just keep your bike away from those jabroni's and tell this forum what's going on. At least you'll get good advice and it's free!

I did forget to tell you that you would not need to pay for the diaphrams as long as you sent your old ones back here (it's not like they are old anyway).

Sean

Already had that long road trip..........lol I bought the bike in Kansas City MO
Wish I knew of Sean back then...

Perhaps I missed it somewhere but how come I have not seen the name of the offending shop/dealership? Is there some unspoken rule about omitting it when you are slamming them ? It is not slanderous talk, it is factual documention and statements from the dealer themselves. I think everyone that has a bad experience should post it loud and clear just like a certain someone mentions their bad experience with COO every chance he gets. There is even a thread for this kind of stuff isn't there?:bang head:

I did forget to tell you that you would not need to pay for the diaphrams as long as you sent your old ones back here (it's not like they are old anyway).

Sean

I don't know what you sent him, I remember you saying the needles and new slides..

I'm still fighting with myself because I do not like the way the bike feels and if what he wants to do next doesn't help my only chose is to go back to stock.. BUT can he get it back to stock ??

I would like to see some of your opinions

Ron

Yes I know I can go back to stock but I wonder if he does that will he be able to get it back to where it was. he has had so much trouble doing what many of you have done without a dyno.. it's not a question of if it can go back, it's can eh do it?

New update:

I had my meeting with the GM at the dealership where I had my VMAX and the mechanic was unable to get Sean't kit to work. After discussing the whole thing, the time spent on the bike the way they treated me etc it ended that the GM said I didn't have to pay anything and I could bring my bike to someone else and see if they can install this "Internet guy's " kit......lol

The want so bad to blame Sean's kit but the most important part is I don't have to pay the $300 for them trying to install it.

I took it to another shop in town who has a dyno and this guy looked at the duno charts from the last run and told me the same exact thing Sean told me the other day when he saw it. That made me feel good about this mechanic, he sounds like he knows his stuff, he called Sean and Seanw as nice enough to take the time to talk to him and compare notes, I think this will end good...

Wish me luck

Thanks again Sean for all your help!!

Ron

You should install it yourself. It's really not too bad and at least you know it's done right!

+1

It's not that bad at all. The actual installation of the kit is easy. The hardest part is the tuning. I'm about to tackle that this Saturday. The only thing you'll need that's not a regular tool is the tamper-proof torx(i think it's a torx, not positive) to be able to get the covers off where the slides are located. Other than that, there are plenty of step-by-step directions on this site as well as pictures to help you out. If anything, get whichever friend you have who's the most knowledgeable when it comes to working on things and have him help out. A second pair of hands always comes in handy! If you run into a problem or have a question, post it up here and someone will have it answered before you know it!

Latest posts

Back