‘09 Sitting Since ‘12- Issues and Fair Price?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
I’m checking out a 2009 Vmax with 1500mi that’s supposedly in showroom condition and has been sitting in a temp controlled garage since 2012. Owner seems competent (lots of toys) and says they changed oil and brake fluid and bring it to operating temp every so often.

I’ll be taking it for a spin this weekend, but are there any things I should be weary of on a vmax that’s been sitting this long?

Also, what’s a fair price for a showroom-like 2009 with 1500mi and no accessories that’s been sitting as described? My guess was $8200.

That would certainly be a steal at $8200. I'm not really plugged into the Gen II prices, but I'd say that the mileage dictates the price more-than the age. I bet he could sell it for $10,000 if he's willing to wait. If it starts right up and has no issues, I'd say $10K is possible. When you asked him, what did he say about price?

It’s been sitting at $9900 for going on 6ish months now (several newer and very nice examples under 5k mi in my area in the $9500 to $10500 range)

It’s been sitting at $9900 for going on 6ish months now (several newer and very nice examples under 5k mi in my area in the $9500 to $10500 range)

It's how-bad he wants off of it. $10,000 isn't doing it. I think if he really wants to get off it, your lowball could work. I've been leery of those "I'll give you half of what you're demanding" posts. I suppose it only has to work once, on a bike needing nothing major, for it to be worth the time spent. If someone offered me 1/2-price, I'd just say, "no thanks." Your offer is > 80% so maybe...see how it is and operates, maybe you're gonna win. Always check your offered title against the frame VIN, and if you see anything funny, don't walk, run!

Run the VIN with a dealer and see if it has any outstanding recalls. I know some 09s had oil pump issues, and there was a recall for the wiring harness.

I’m checking out a 2009 Vmax with 1500mi that’s supposedly in showroom condition and has been sitting in a temp controlled garage since 2012. Owner seems competent (lots of toys) and says they changed oil and brake fluid and bring it to operating temp every so often.

I’ll be taking it for a spin this weekend, but are there any things I should be weary of on a vmax that’s been sitting this long?

Also, what’s a fair price for a showroom-like 2009 with 1500mi and no accessories that’s been sitting as described? My guess was $8200.

$8200 would be a steal for a Gen 2 with mileage that low. Keep in mind there is not a single change to the bike from 2009 - 2018, so you are getting the same bike that is sitting in a showroom somewhere albeit with some miles and no warranty. They don't break so the warranty isn't much of an issue.

My big concern is the integrity of the seals and the (probably original) tires. Would you guys ride on decade-old tires? I'm on the fence.

And I'm after a great condition bike more so than a low mileage one (because as you guys have said, seems like gen2's are bulletproof), so if he doesn't budge I'll keep looking. Seems like a very nice sub-$9000 bike can be had with patience.

Tires and be very sure you check on that oil pump. The 09-11 were bad and will blow the engine. I'd estimate new tires and pump into the final price.

$8200 is a bit low, but not much really. We have been seeing Gen2's in the sub 9K category quite regularly lately. Since those tires don't last long anyways, I'd ride on them for a few thousand miles, you'll need a back one by then anyways.

Turns out “showroom” condition means scratches on the exhaust end caps and a scratch on one of the scoops. And he’s being obstinate about a test ride up and down the street since the registration/inspection/insurance expired 5 years ago. Looking at the dust on this thing, it hasn’t rolled more than 20’ in the last 5 years.

Damn, "$7500, and you're lucky I'm offering that!" Does it run & rev stationary OK? Did he ride it for you to observe? I believe that there should be a record of the oil pump being repaired/replaced, whatever was the factory 'fix' on-file through the dealer was, into their factory database for that VIN. In 'the old days,' something significant like a factory recall being done would earn a punch into the engine or on the frame somewhere, to signify that the factory repair was performed.

From the description of defacement, it doesn't sound like more-than a stationary tip-over rather than a crash underway.

Yeah, I plan to hit him with $7500 pending the ok from the dealer after I have them check the vin for the oil pump recall.

It drives me crazy when people describe things as flawless or as-new or pristine only to get there and spot damage immediately.

Yeah, I plan to hit him with $7500 pending the ok from the dealer after I have them check the vin for the oil pump recall.

It drives me crazy when people describe things as flawless or as-new or pristine only to get there and spot damage immediately.

What? You don't agree it's not, "minty?"

So in a few days when I test drive this, what should I look for? I think this has been sitting in the same spot since 2012-13 and has only been brought to operating temp occasionally. I don’t think it’s moved at all and I imagine it has vintage gasoline in it right now. Will fuel and brake system issues be obvious on a test drive and upon looking in the gas tank? My big concerns are the fuel, fork seals, and brake system.

Anything I should be on the lookout for when test driving? Never ridden a gen2 before so can’t compare to a known healthy one.

One thing you will notice is the ABS light will be on at start up but should go out when you get above six mph. It’s normal.

So definitely check the forks after the ride to see if they're wet.

I wouldn't worry much about the hydraulics, you may want to change out the fluids if you purchase it though.

As far as the fuel, the bike obviously should not miss, backfire or stutter after reaching operating temperature. If it does then it could have old gas. The V4 is not as smooth as an inline 4 so a little roughness in inherent, but it shouldn't do anything like described above. You cannot see in the tank but you can take a whiff, stale gas smell pretty bad

Brakes should feel very strong (fronts that is, rear one is not that great).... don't be afraid to grab em hard they are antilocks.

Don't give it the beans until you get used to it. The Gen 2 is NOT like the gen 1 it can scare most people if not used to it.
If the gas isnt crap and he has started it now and then then I bet she runs fine. Don't overthink it, It is a new bike that has been sitting.
my $0.02

As usual, you guys are the best. I like to ask as many questions as possible before pulling the trigger. I’ve paid dannymax and others a lot of money because I’ve uncovered some ugly truths after buying.

Latest posts

Back