0.5 volt drain issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkyle187

Reaction score
I have 97 max stock everyting. Ive got a .5 volt drain on system not running. I have traced it to a med size black wire. See picture attached. If you are sitting on your bike it will be the left side. The black wire going up the frame has continuity the frame. The black wire going down the frame does not have continuity to the frame. If I unplug this connection the .5 volt drain goes away. Can anyone tell me what this is going to or what for? also there is a connection behind this back wire. Blue on black wire going into a white wire...is this correct? I will add more pics in a min

Attachments

• PICT0043a.jpg
    PICT0043a.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 29
  • PICT0049.JPG
    PICT0049.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 26
  • l_7f2e63c91d41560b7fc0fa7196bdb9e2.jpg
    l_7f2e63c91d41560b7fc0fa7196bdb9e2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Go To A Yamaha Website, And Order A Original Yamaha V-max Shop Manualfor Your Year Bike !!! They Are Great !!! About $40.00 , And The Wiring Diagrams Are Great, & Will Show You Exactly Wear Those Wires Go , Also Has Great Trouble Shooter Sections !!!

I have already looked at those. They are supplements for the service guide. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the VMX12J model? Thank You

I have 97 max stock everyting. Ive got a .5 volt drain on system not running. I have traced it to a med size black wire. See picture attached. If you are sitting on your bike it will be the left side. The black wire going up the frame has continuity the frame. The black wire going down the frame does not have continuity to the frame. If I unplug this connection the .5 volt drain goes away. Can anyone tell me what this is going to or what for? also there is a connection behind this back wire. Blue on black wire going into a white wire...is this correct? I will add more pics in a min

Only blue on black wire used on a '97 goes to the fuel pump. Only white wires go from the stator to the r/r. That's assuming someone didn't modify the harness somehow.

I would try and trace the wire route and verify where it starts and terminates. With the connect removed start the bike and see what isn't working.

Mark

I have already looked at those. They are supplements for the service guide. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the VMX12J model? Thank You

I have some wiring schematics, I'll take a look at them. Can you get a better picture of the connector it goes into?

here u more pics. Thank you so much for the kind help

Attachments

• PICT0051.JPG
    PICT0051.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0052.JPG
    PICT0052.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 18
  • PICT0053.JPG
    PICT0053.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 16
  • PICT0057.JPG
    PICT0057.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Are you the original owner of the bike? If not did the owner before you try his version of the t-boost? I also agree with Maleko on the unplugging and see what isn't working ie. the fuel pump ticking and v-boost test at startup, flashers, lights...etc. Also it worked for me on my draw I once had in my truck, being all my fuses are labeled, I put my meter on the fuses and soon as I found the draw, I found where to look. in that case it was the memory tach.

I am the second owner. The first owner has passed away, so I cant talk to him. I have disconnected the blue on black wire..Nothing happens..everything clicks and ticks. Thank You!

Last edited:

The link that is a 30MB file is the WHOLE service manual, the first 30 or so pages are just supplements but it's all there.

On the subject, I have never seen a service manual online that was for the late model bikes. All the ones I've seen still show the wrong number of pickup coils for late model bikes including the one on Vmax outlaw.
I wouldn't place a ton of faith in wire coloring in any service manual from one model year to the next but I have found the wiring diagram in that manual to be VERY accurrate as far as chematics and layout go...."Cept for that coil thingie.....

OK, I found my full colour wire schematic for the VMax. Now what colour wire is causing the draw, is it the black wire or the black/blue wire? Black is usually used for a ground on the bike, so voltage on that opens a whole new kettle of fish. If it is the black/blue wire, it shows one between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump and one from the right handlebar switch to the left handlebar switch with a blue feed spliced in feeding the gauge cluster and the lights in the speedo. None of the connections to the black/blue show a white wire and the connections at both handlebar switches go into a 9 wire cluster connector.

The black wire is causing the drain. the blue/black to white wire i just found trouble shooting the drain. Any ideas where this black wire goes to? thank you for help

The black wire is causing the drain. the blue/black to white wire i just found trouble shooting the drain. Any ideas where this black wire goes to? thank you for help

All the black wires are used as the ground except for one that goes between the igniter unit and the pick up coil.

Back