10% ethanol is CRAP!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaboom

Reaction score
I think I have discovered my problem.....

Symptoms.....have to babysit it during warmup......once warm a bog or hesitation just as you tip into the throttle......it idles and revs fine but just as you start to turn the throttle it will bog.....and it is burbling more on deceleration....

We just recently changed over to the alcohol "enhanced" fuel here......any suggestions??

Anyone else experience these symptoms or am I missing something??:confused2:

are all grades available laced with 10% eth? if not, step up one octane for some that isn't...

the eth is actually a cleaner, as well. may check your fuel filter and drain the float bowl into a clear container... see what you find and see if the fuel is discolored. if it has a little too much yellow or orangish tint, it may be the eth cleaning rust, etc from the fuel system. should pass in time. i had a bear of a time after pulling mine from long storage with the eth fuel breaking loose every grain of rust or anything that wasn't belonging in the tank/lines. :bang head:

hate the 10% crap sure does make the bike run different and not in a good way. can you find any station with reg fuel kyle??? might have to take the truck and a drum to get filled, set it up at your house hahaha sounds extreme but gotta do what ever you gotta do to keep riding.

have you tried a little seafoam lately???

10% ethanol will run just fine in the vmax, my 85 puts out 112 hp and Im getting 37 mpg running the 10% mix. Although it will plug your carbs when you let the bike set up for 2/3 weeks

hate the 10% crap sure does make the bike run different and not in a good way. can you find any station with reg fuel kyle??? might have to take the truck and a drum to get filled, set it up at your house hahaha sounds extreme but gotta do what ever you gotta do to keep riding.

have you tried a little seafoam lately???

All 10% now......All the different brands of fuel out there......the trucks all come from the same place......at least around here....

I'm going to add a little seafoam the next couple of tanks.......

It's time to start thinking about winter storage....spring should be fun with this shit....:damn angry:

In FL we've had 10% ethanol (only) forever since I've owned my Max, so I don't even know how it would run without it.

Gotta say it runs absolutely fine, but yea, if it's gonna sit for any length of time you do need to put some Seafoam or BG or similar fuel treatment in there. If not, it'll absorb lotsa water and make a mess of your gas, then run like complete shite.

Kyle, get a can of BG 44K, run 1/3 can thru in each of the next 3 tankfulls, then some Seafoam or something similar and see if it clears up. Sounds like dirty idle circuits.

If that doesn't work do the shotgun and/or peashooter.

I don't understand why people run low octane fuel ??:ummm:
I run 93 octane and often mix with racing fuel.I never trusted that low octane crap I think they might piss in it and call it a new additive :biglaugh:

just my two cents

usually because the max doesnt need high octane so spending the extra cash for guys is not worth it. actually will be down on power from the slower explosion of high octane. Your mix sure would have a better smell to it then the low crap i agree:punk: prob has a wicked nervous idle also ey?

kyle, winter storage..... come-on man its not even sept yet, was riding into nov last year, dont give up yet man

I battled the Ethinol Crap for a year and a half. I replaced and or cleaned everything in my fuel system. I ran all the proceedures to clean the carbs and fuel system. I ran Carb Cleaner and everything else. I found a place to buy Non Ethinol and finally got the bike to run right. I went on a ride with Central Florida VMOA and had to fill up with ethinol. As soon as the fuel got to the carbs, it ran like S**T. When I got home I dumped all the fuel in the tank and put some of my stored Non Ethinol I have in. As soon as it reached the carbs it ran perfect. No one wants to believe me but Ethinol is GARBAGE and as long as I don't absolutely have to use it, I won't...........

I like to run 91-93 BP premium and ad some 114 race gas. about a 50/50 mix

but if i can't get to the fuel stop that sells the race gas.(have to take a can. won't let you ride up and fuel) then i add some of the Blendzal. Boosts the octane a bout 3 points.
and smells like race gas. also displaces moisture.

I battled the Ethinol Crap for a year and a half. I replaced and or cleaned everything in my fuel system. I ran all the proceedures to clean the carbs and fuel system. I ran Carb Cleaner and everything else. I found a place to buy Non Ethinol and finally got the bike to run right. I went on a ride with Central Florida VMOA and had to fill up with ethinol. As soon as the fuel got to the carbs, it ran like S**T. When I got home I dumped all the fuel in the tank and put some of my stored Non Ethinol I have in. As soon as it reached the carbs it ran perfect. No one wants to believe me but Ethinol is GARBAGE and as long as I don't absolutely have to use it, I won't...........

I believe you!

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

The diff between 100% gasoline and the 10% corn squeezin's shiite is NIGHT & DAY. All fuel here in MO is at least 10% ethanol trash. When I go to Arkansas to ride and fill up with 100% grade A dino fuel, it's like having an instant tune up.

I first did battle with Ethanol sickness back in the early-mid 80's when Quick Trip first began adding it to their sales (no labeling required then) without informing the public. EVERY VEHICLE in my garage suffered similar symptoms of the disease. Slight hesitation coming off idle. Car, truck, Yamaha XS1100, and the freakin' boat. I spend hundreds of bucks for carb jobs on the car (Datsun B210), truck (1974 GMC 1/2t w/350) and the f'ing V6 Chevy boat. Did the carb job on the Datsun TWICE. Nothing helped. It was like no work was ever performed.

I finally got a clue when on vacation in Colorado, I noticed the car suddenly didn't have the symptoms any longer. They returned when I got back home. I explored buying gas from elsewhere in my home town, and viola, the problems were gone. I went to QT and began asking questions. BS answers regarding the benefits of the alcohol, but basically, QT did it for the $$$$$$$$$ savings because, as I recall, the Fed was subsidizing its use in those early days. Manditory labeling followed sometime the next year or so as it's use started becoming more widespread and it's pitfalls were becoming more and more evident to more and more people.

If you don't have carb problems directly related to the use of Ethanol, (fuel injection systems seem better able to self-adapt to its' use) AT THE VERY, VERY LEAST, you will suffer fewer miles per gallon. That is just a FACT surrounding its' burn/BTU statistics.

On my boat my mechanic has me take the gas line off right where it meets the engine and run the engine till it runs completely out. I do this every time if I am not going out in a few weeks as the ethonal causes more problems and can easily gum up the carb.

Works well doing this. I do have to run my V Max at least every 2-3 weeks even if it is just for a ride around for a few minutes. If you just keep the gas in the tank you will need for a 2 week period, then add gas as needed it helps. The longer you keep the gas in the tank the more it gums up.

usually because the max doesnt need high octane so spending the extra cash for guys is not worth it. actually will be down on power from the slower explosion of high octane. Your mix sure would have a better smell to it then the low crap i agree:punk: prob has a wicked nervous idle also ey?

kyle, winter storage..... come-on man its not even sept yet, was riding into nov last year, dont give up yet man

I didn't say it was time to do it....just THINK about it.....Find out what needs to be done differently this year......that's all:biglaugh:

I like to run 91-93 BP premium and ad some 114 race gas. about a 50/50 mix

but if i can't get to the fuel stop that sells the race gas.(have to take a can. won't let you ride up and fuel) then i add some of the Blendzal. Boosts the octane a bout 3 points.
and smells like race gas. also displaces moisture.

Smells like RACE GAS?!?!?!?!?

I'm finding me some of that!!!!!!!:punk:

Back