1300 venture block with max heads

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about this build I'm in the middle of, and would appreciate the forums input. This motor is going into a max.

1. can venture rods be used? I know they are the same size as the max but are the max rods better?

2. what should I use for head gaskets?

3. would it be better to use the venture or max transmission? I can combine the two.

4. venture or max rear end?

5 venture or max flywheel?

Thanks for your input

May check around, should be a thread or two about this...think comp ratio is lower for one...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I'll try to get you more input later this evening when I have some time

Attached is an excel spreadsheet I did for the gearing & tire sizes on Ventures & Vmaxs.

2nd sheet is where the ratios are listed for each bike in all the gearing.

It may provide some useful info.

Change the bike model and final drive in bike fields. It is defaulted to a Venture.

You might want to get the block milled if it all apart to help compression. Sean said .040" was good which is what I did to my 1300.

Gary

Attachments

• Gear ratios rev B.xls
    35.5 KB · Views: 20
The overall effective compression will be the same with the Vmax heads installed.

The venture rods are heavier then the Vmax rods but we've used the short block cores with those rods and not had any issues with them. The Vmax rods technically allow for higher RPM's due to the lighter weight.

Stock Venture Gaskets or Cometic (I sell both). Either way I suggest some of our ARP head studs to clamp them down with.

Vmax transmission most of the time is going to be more durable. The gear widths and engagement design of the 2nd gear are improved on the Vmax. Again we've used the Ventures without any major issues.

Venture rear diff for cruising and Vmax for accelerate. There is a 10% difference between the two.

Vmax flywheel for quicker rev's. Venture flywheel for smoother running engine. BUT, you need to make sure the right year flywheel is used. You can look at the raised sections on the edges of the flywheel to see what the trigger is going to use. The older style will have 2 raised sections vs a number of them on the newer flywheel.

Sean

many thanks for all the replies and info.
Gary, the spreadsheet is great.
Sean, are all venture flywheels the same and would it be worth it to have the block milled?

TIA

The flywheels changed depending on the year (analog vs digital and Dingy will know the years for sure). They are all very heavy though so the only time we have used them is for blower engines to reduce surging. They could be used in a drag situation too to help maintain rpm's on the launch.

Milling the block raises the compression which will help make more power. But, the intake and exhaust will be a little more difficult to line up since the spread changes a little bit. If you have a good block you aren't taking all the way apart it's not worth milling. And even then it isn't worth milling if you are getting new pistons.

Sean

Attached is an excel spreadsheet I did for the gearing & tire sizes on Ventures & Vmaxs.

2nd sheet is where the ratios are listed for each bike in all the gearing.

It may provide some useful info.

Change the bike model and final drive in bike fields. It is defaulted to a Venture.

You might want to get the block milled if it all apart to help compression. Sean said .040" was good which is what I did to my 1300.

Gary

Cool Excel sheet, I played around with it for a while but my Vmax doesn't match the stock settings. At 4000rpm in 4th I'm cruising at 100kph, rear tyre is a 180/55-17. Excel says I should be doing 87kph

The only way I can get it close is to select the Venture final drive - I wonder if it's something the PO did or something to do with it being a 3UF motor :confused2:

Last edited:
Hi Toolman

I'm just a stone's throw away from you, in Saint John, N.B.
I have a friend, John, that knows you, and has described you as "The Sean Morley of Canada".....Impressive!..... I'll have to ride down and meet you sometime.
BTW, if you ever have a compatible Venture pumpkin to fit my Max (86-93?), I'd be interested.
Cheers, good luck with your build
Miles

Back