1st Annual Pittsburgh Run

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea Ed. That would be a REAL Pittsburgh run and allow folks to really see the city. A group bike shoot from the West End Overlook with the Golden Triangle in the background, a bit cliche and overdone, but would look cool nonetheless.

Opening up on Rt 66? We have no idea what you're talking about. :biglaugh:

Yea next year let's do a full Pgh tour, like Grandview ave on Mt. Washington as well as the Strip on Southside. Just some ideas for things to see that are uniquely Pgh. That is AFTER we spend the day tearing up the roads thru the mountains around the Burg. Just something to think about for next time. It was a blast opening up the beasts alittle on the highways too. Anyway back to polishing... Thanks, Ed

I'm not sure what Your talking about I never mentioned rt 66, that's nowhere near pgh. I just said Mt Washington and Southside and roads around pgh. But wherever anyone decides is fine with me. It's too bad it's only once a year to get together but next year I'd like to do the Johnstown run as well as others within a few hours of here. Ride Safe everyone and take care, Lifes way too short as it is. And remember "All you touch and All you see is all your life will ever be" Ed

I just did the math on my fuel mileage for this trip, and I averaged 39.22 MPG!

thats awesome. i hit 42 for one tank! mostly around 38-40, its awesome what happens when you get the FUCK out of boston driving bullshit!

on another note it was awesome, once again. wouldn't be complete without a full brake swap on a bike!

i think i shall name this the 'red roof inn run'. much catchier than p'burgh!

Yeah no shit, full brake swap then try to total the damned thing flying into a Jersey barrier at what, 110??

I'm still pissed about scuffing the bottom of the can. :bang head:

--

What happened?? I remember yins talking about Devins brakes at lunch in Ohiopyle but I missed the whole Jersey barrier thing.

Hey there Ed! Yeah, it kinda went something like this.

We swapped the calipers and wanted to take it out to see how things felt. Bill was leading, I was next then Garrett was third. We hit the ramp and everyone's machines were running great; I was totally stoked. We raced to the next exit and on the way back I really let it eat. I wasn't paying attention to just how fast I was going while still in that sweeping right hand turn getting back on to the highway.

The head shake started at the end of third but I was hooked on the accelleration so I stayed in the throttle and reached for forth. Once that shift occurred, the shake became completely uncontrollable. Though I was still having to stay in the turn, the more I leaned the worse it got. Even though I knew I couldn't get out of the throttle, I had no choice. I was drifting left and the ass end felt like it was trying to pass the front end three feet at a time. I don't know if it was really that bad or not, but the closer I came to the barrier the more I wondered if I was going to be thrown into on coming traffic on the other side of it. All I could think about was that I was about to total my bike just after having put a set of calipers on that was so graciously given to me, and I was pissed.

About the time I didn't think I was going to stay on the bike any longer, and as I continued to hurdle toward the barrier, BOOM... I finally hit it. Thankfully it happened during the right phase of the oscilation and it set me upright and slowed me enough to regain control.

I definitely saw the bike's performance envelope tear that night. I'll be sure to stay a little further back from that point from now on. Unless I can get some radials, at which point all bets are off. :biglaugh:

In all seriousness though, I thank God Himself for His hand keeping things in check. I'm pretty sure I should have gone down during that one.

--

We swapped the calipers and wanted to take it out to see how things felt. Bill was leading, I was next then Garrett was third. We hit the ramp and everyone's machines were running great; I was totally stoked. We raced to the next exit and on the way back I really let it eat. I wasn't paying attention to just how fast I was going while still in that sweeping right hand turn getting back on to the highway.

The head shake started at the end of third but I was hooked on the accelleration so I stayed in the throttle and reached for forth. Once that shift occurred, the shake became completely uncontrollable. Though I was still having to stay in the turn, the more I leaned the worse it got. Even though I knew I couldn't get out of the throttle, I had no choice. I was drifting left and the ass end felt like it was trying to pass the front end three feet at a time. I don't know if it was really that bad or not, but the closer I came to the barrier the more I wondered if I was going to be thrown into on coming traffic on the other side of it. All I could think about was that I was about to total my bike just after having put a set of calipers on that was so graciously given to me, and I was pissed.

About the time I didn't think I was going to stay on the bike any longer, and as I continued to hurdle toward the barrier, BOOM... I finally hit it. Thankfully it happened during the right phase of the oscilation and it set me upright and slowed me enough to regain control.

I definitely saw the bike's performance envelope tear that night. I'll be sure to stay a little further back from that point from now on. Unless I can get some radials, at which point all bets are off. :biglaugh:

In all seriousness though, I thank God Himself for His hand keeping things in check. I'm pretty sure I should have gone down during that one.

--

Holy crappola matey!!! You were really crowding "Angel Country" with that one! :surprise:

Sure glad the outcome was as good as it was! :punk:

--

knowing my bike couldn't keep up with bills with a braced swingarm and radials (scrapping pegs @ 110 on a turn on an on-ramp) i stayed back a bit around 85 or so i think thinking to myself damn devins got faith in his machine. no sooner than i thought that i saw him go into his death wobble. it was as bad as one i've ever seen both in person and on youtube and shit. he would have gone over the bars had it lasted a second longer......

for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHsgAX3TBY

it was about the same as that and right as this guy hits that roped off area is when devin slammed into the barrier and it kicked him upright.

sweet jeebus that must have looked freaky from behind garrett as it must have been heart stopping for magnum. glad to hear you got out of it.

Yeah G, seeing that video made me piss a little bit just now... it felt a lot like what the video looked like.

Thanks tugla, I appreciate that!

--

yup. as it old the folks there, i was already reaching for the brakes and my phone.

J...J...Jeebus Crumpers Devin, these things are nortoriously awful on entrance ramps!

I'm thinking we need an award for COPRUNNER for his 'Driveway Driving' during BR/10 and now your 'Jerzey Barrier Correction' during the P'Burgh/10 Run!

Both incidents chock full of an abnormally high amount of driving skill and an astronomical amount of pure shithouse luck!! :biglaugh:

J...J...Jeebus Crumpers Devin, these things are nortoriously awful on entrance ramps!

I'm thinking we need an award for COPRUNNER for his 'Driveway Driving' during BR/10 and now your 'Jerzey Barrier Correction' during the P'Burgh/10 Run!

Both incidents chock full of an abnormally high amount of driving skill and an astronomical amount of pure shithouse luck!! :biglaugh:

+1 on that man, definitely some highly skilled riding going on... oh ya and a few strategically placed horse shoes always helps

Can't really fnd an appropriate award for these types of activities....

"Event Organizer" might work except there was no prior notification....:biglaugh:
"Purple Heart" was damn near the one....but luck prevailed.....:biglaugh:
"Hello There Officer" was lurking close by too....:biglaugh:
"The DOH Award" This may be the most appropriate, but is kind of an insult to the participants!!....:biglaugh:

So "Honorable Recognition" & "Driving Excellence" may have to do guys!! :rofl_200:

I'm just really glad these things turned out like they did!! :worthy:

I'm still hitting them with the lawnmower Rov!! :rofl_200:

gonna have to get tim to bring some files to fix all your mower blades for you :rofl_200:

maybe make up a new award for them, something with driving skill/horseshoe's/ check the pants after heart restarts :rofl_200:

Danny and Rov... Yeah, I'm definitely going with the "pure shithouse luck" thing in this particular case. All I really did was hold on. God did the rest!

--

I agree with all that a new award should be measured up, scrutinized, sent to a committee of some sorts because these sort of saves don't happen just everyday.
I'm submitting a golden horseshoe (upright of course so the luck won't run out) as the symbol and using the aformentioned Horseshoe Award as it's official name. The tag line could be "For those that have looked over the ragged edge and lived to tell about it!"
Good job on getting one over on the devil you guys!

Last edited:
I like it Brian, but I'm afraid y'all are giving me far too much credit for "saving" anything!! Hehehehe!!!

--

Back