1st gear problem...i think..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my-86

Reaction score
Ok, I've been on here a few times and it's been a tremendous help in many of my ventures with my '86 max. I have about 65k miles on it and recently found that when I really romp on it in first gear there is a VERY noticeable jerk/slam/pop/clunk/thunk type of noise and feeling in the bike. Sorry, my description sounds very strange, I'm sure. It feels like the bike slips out of gear for a split second and then slams back into gear, or as if it loses spark for a split sec. And if I stay on the throttle hard it continues to do it repeatedly every tenth of a second or so until I back off of the gas. Also the revs are around 5k-7k and it only happens when I really crank on the throttle. When I go easy on the gas, it never happens. I've tried looking on here for anything similar and haven't found anything even close. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

what ever it is doesnt sound good, something in the tranny or clutch it sounds like. id give sean morley a email and go thru it with him, for sure he will be able to help you.

Anything that goes jerk/slam/pop/clunk/thunk type of noise is not good. Maybe you will find something wrong further down the line of the drive train bad like splines on the driveshaft or differential problems, which would be a much cheaper fix than an engine teardown...........

It does sound like a trans problem but i'd suggest to check the clutch first. If it's the clutch it usually shows in the higher gears first and doesn't bang in and out of gear. Worn gear dogs can do what you describe.

Sean

Thanks, guys, for the responses. Sean, again it's only in first gear and only when romping on the throttle. I replaced the clutch with a new PCW earlier this spring and it's been a vast improvement since then. This issue just started within the last few weeks. I was also thinking maybe it loses spark for just a split second. It also almost sounds/feels like if you could pull in the clutch and let it snap out all within .10 seconds, that's what it would be. But it's all good if I grandmother it in first, then romp from second gear up. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but no pro for sure. But I'm almost leaning toward spark. Any thoughts??

Try everything first but it sounds like trans to me. Could be spark though off for it to be relegated to a single gear.

Sean

Actually. I'd also say to check the rear diff and make sure it's not broken (look at the end the shaft installs into as it's common for that end to break). It will still allow for you to ride it but can make some clunking noises and could I suppose do the popping too.

Sean

Well thanks again for your input. I'm gonna tinker with the voltage and check the rear diff. And if I can't figure it out, I'm gonna ride it till it blows and then tear it all down and send you the motor/trans for a 1570 upgrade. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back