2006 black rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Stock rims on 06 are black with a red pinstripe. My question is; are they painted or powdercoated from the factory?

There's a seller on ebay that has 17" and 18" rear rims listed and when I asked him about the black ones, he said that they were painted, I emailed a couple of the buyers on his feedback how bought these rims (ie; quality, weight, etc...) , but did not get any response from them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Last edited:
Stock rims on 06 are black with a red pinstripe. My question is; are they painted or powdercoated from the factory?

There's a seller on ebay that has 17" and 18" rear rims listed and when I asked him about the black ones, he said that they were painted, I emailed a couple of the buyers on his feedback how bought these rims 9ie; quality, weight, etc...) , but did not get any response from them.

Mike

I have an '06 and they look to be powder coated. Most mfg's are doing this for EPA reasons.:thumbs up:

There's a seller on ebay that has 17" and 18" rear rims listed and when I asked him about the black ones, he said that they were painted, I emailed a couple of the buyers on his feedback how bought these rims 9ie; quality, weight, etc...) , but did not get any response from them.

Mike

Max...

Are you talking about the ever present: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeightsnuff

I have a new 2007 Busa front wheel (not from that seller, just stock busa factory wheel), and it is painted, badly I should include. My rear FZR 1000 wheel (NOS) was also painted from the factory. You can tell easily by the burns from the welds when the new center was added by Tom from COO.

EPA and Asia dont go hand in hand...just look at the 37 billion toys recalled this summer from over there due to lead ;)

:cheers:

Neil

My 2003 SV1000S wheels were Powder coated. I had them blasted and the blaster told me that paint chips right off where as P/C peels off. He said mine peeled... The P/C on my stock wheels was flawless! Just the wrong color.:whistlin:

Max...

Are you talking about the ever present: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeightsnuff

I have a new 2007 Busa front wheel (not from that seller, just stock busa factory wheel), and it is painted, badly I should include. My rear FZR 1000 wheel (NOS) was also painted from the factory. You can tell easily by the burns from the welds when the new center was added by Tom from COO.

EPA and Asia dont go hand in hand...just look at the 37 billion toys recalled this summer from over there due to lead ;)

Neil

Neil, that is the wheels that I was looking at. The price is very good on the 18" black centreline style rim. But wondering if too good to be true? Also wondering how painted rims will hold up over time, paint chips, tire changes, etc....

Mike

Last edited:
Check out this thread before buying those wheels off ebay.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1165

I did have a look at that thread and your rear wheel definitely looks like it's off center, but ROB06 says his was ok. I have also read that some people have had issues with the Maxdaddy wheel and with Carrozzeria ones (from one of 4gasem's replies - but they fixed it) and others. Obviously, good after sale service is important. Did you ever talk to this guy about the issue with your wheel? If so, how did he respond?

Reason I asked if 06 wheels were powdercoated is when a cleaned them (before winter storage) with a degreaser, I noticed red paint residue on my cleaning cloth? I would not think that powdercoat would do this.

Mike

Neil, that is the wheels that I was looking at. The price is very good on the 18" black centreline style rim. But wondering if too good to be true? Also wondering how painted rims will hold up over time, paint chips, tire changes, etc....

Mike

Mike...

Different people have different things to say about those wheels. Maybe he has figured out that the offset was wrong on his original batch of these :confused2:

If I had not gone with a cycle one off wheel from Tom: http://cycleoneoff.com/V-max-wheels.html

RC components would have my money right now for a matching set of Slash wheels: http://rccomponents.com/wheelselector/vmax.htm

And they still might, since they are making Hayabusa wheels now.

Neil

Well I have the winter to decide which way that I'm going to go - just doing research right now.

Mike

P.S. Neil thanks for the links!

I did have a look at that thread and your rear wheel definitely looks like it's off center, but ROB06 says his was ok. I have also read that some people have had issues with the Maxdaddy wheel and with Carrozzeria ones (from one of 4gasem's replies - but they fixed it) and others. Obviously, good after sale service is important. Did you ever talk to this guy about the issue with your wheel? If so, how did he respond?

Reason I asked if 06 wheels were powdercoated is when a cleaned them (before winter storage) with a degreaser, I noticed red paint residue on my cleaning cloth? I would not think that powdercoat would do this.

Mike

The pin stripe IS paint...

Carrozzeria had AMAZING after the sale support! I can't say that enough about them. If I bought another set I would go to them first! :thumbs up: They only make one style so if you don't like the MotoGP style then they aren't the wheel for you...

Mike
I didn't talk to the guy I bought the wheel off of, just turned around and sold it on ebay. I really liked the look of the wheel and would buy another one if the new ones are centered. The paint didn't look the greatest, but that can be fixed easy.

Back