2nd gear problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headwork

Reaction score
Hello all. I am the third owner of a '93 vmax that started having 2nd gear slipping issues last year. I did some research and found that this was a common problem on early vmax's and ventures, but couldn't find to much info on the newer ones having issues.

I am about to get dirty and rip into this thing myself and just wanted to know if there is anything that i can do to prevent this from happening in another 19,000 miles or if it is just the hard shifting into second that causes this and something i will have to live with if i want to ride hard.

Also, since I am going to have the motor in half anyways, should I consider having anything else done to it as far as maintenance? Also looking into streetable mods for hp. It already has a Stage 7 jet kit with Supertrapp Slip ons. Vboost is no longer around (not sure, but i thought this is a side effect of the Stage 7 jet kit???)

Thanks for the help.
Josh

I have one of the same year. No problems though. Is it poping out of 2nd gear into N or is it when you shift, second gear isn't there allot of the time ?

Does it happen at normal shifting or just when your getting on the throttle ? What about down shifting, what happens then ? Does it go away when it fully warms up ? or not ? How many clicks on the clock ?

Does it seem to be getting worse every day ?

More info if ya can please. :confused2:

I feel that back cutting the gears that you already have is a better solution than replacing them again with new stock ones.It makes them go in easier and stay in more positively.Price wise it is probably about the same money.I had Fast By Gast backcut mine.They needed to be welded then backcut.2nd and 5th gears,I think.

I have seen about a dozen trannies now that Rod at Pro Chassie Racing has done.I really like the look of his and he will be doing any of mine that need done from now on.I feel that he has an even better and stronger way to cut them than mine from FBG.His prices are better too.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't had any problems with the tranny except for second gear. It started by only slipping out and engaging right away under hard power, kinda of a stutter, no grinding or anything of that nature. I thought it was the clutch slipping...soon realized it wasn't, cause it didn't do it in anything but second.

It progressed to actually jumping out of second and grinding under power. As soon as you would back off the throttle, it would go back in. And even now that second is pretty much useless, if you really baby it...it will stay in. (but what the f'in fun is that???)

Downshifting really hasn't presented any problems. Temperature or amount of riding doesn't seem to effect it. And it has been getting worse over time. I'm right at about 19,000 miles, probably started noticing symtoms around 17,000 miles or so...buts that in hindsight.

As far as the backcutting goes.....what are the downsides??? What is the range in price that I'm looking at?

Thanks

We do back cutting and reworking transmissions too. It sounds like the dogs are definetly rounded off and is why it won't hold into gear. Depending on options (We have an overdrive 5th gear option) the cost runs around $300 plus shipping and $30 per gear that needs welded (you will probably need 1-2 done).

Haven't found any downsides other than getting the gears out and time to get it fixed up.

Sean Morley

Hello,
This Is Rodney From Pro Chassie,
Shawn Is Right About Buying New Gears In,it Will Just Do The Same Thing.we Undercut All The Gears And All Work Is Done In House,we Never Send Anything Out Anywere Eles.never!!!

Does anyone know where the link for further info on the 2nd gear popping out is?
Mine is doing the same thing... as soon as it hits 6000 rpm it slips back into N.
Ive got a 96, does the motor have to come out and case split or is there any other access points? Just doing my research before I head to the dealer for some pricing.
Any info is helpful!

Does anyone know where the link for further info on the 2nd gear popping out is?
Mine is doing the same thing... as soon as it hits 6000 rpm it slips back into N.
Ive got a 96, does the motor have to come out and case split or is there any other access points? Just doing my research before I head to the dealer for some pricing.
Any info is helpful!

Yes, the motor has to come out and the cases are split. Personally, I would talk to either Sean (one2dmax) or Rod (doctorfj1) on this forum about getting this fixed rather than getting fleeced at the dealer. Also the dealer may say your bike is too "old" to work on. I found most dealers don't like working on bikes that are 10 or more years old.
I'll see if I can find the 2nd gear link for you.

update: here is a good link here although it is on the Venture, everything still apllies: http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=001006&id=250

Yes, we do offer the undercutting service (which is done through fast by gast). I don't know Rod or how he does it but I am sure I can offer something he doesn't which is an exchanged transmission! I have a few sets of trannies on hand that I can ship in for you and have them worked up in advance. Then all you need is a weekend and you are back on the road with very little downtime. Also, we offer an overdriven fifth gear which lowers rpm's in that gear by close to 25%. Basically you can cruise at 80mph at only 4000 rpm. 60mph is 3000 rpm and even 100mph is only 5000 rpm.

Sean Morley

Thanks for the info, I just bought a 93 with this as a known issue. I am planning on waiting till the winter though as it only does it at very specific throttle openings and rpms I can avoid it beign a problem for a few months.

Hey all,

Just wanted to do a little update on my 2nd gear problems. After putting in 15 min. here and 15 min. there......I finally got my '93 Max back together. I had the tranny backcut by Rod at Pro Chassie Racing and everything is awesome. Tranny shifts great and is a lot smoother than I remember before having the work done. Rod was great to work with and the turn around time was stellar. (Even with the unplanned vacation that Rod took due to his appendix bursting!)

This was the first time I really did any work on a bike. With that being said...I didn't think it was all that bad. I refered to the service manual and the Clymers manual for pretty much all the info. The only reason it took me so long was the lack of spare time on my part. One nice lesson learned....check the starter clutch while you have the flywheel cover off! Got everthing back together.....hit the start button, and all i heard was the whirl of the starter NOT turning over the motor. So now I'm starting the process of getting the flywheel off, which I hear is a real treat. I hope to get it done tonight so I can mosey on down to a local car show. Only time will tell......

If anyone has any questions, I will gladly try to help...although I am no where near an expert on anything.

Have a great one,
Josh

Back