4 into 1 vs 4 into exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the help all, I have since decided that Im quite fond of hiding the exhaust all together, and as such have been entertaining the idea of custom building my own 4 into 2 (or 2@2 into 1) long tube equal length headers followed by a high flow perforated cross tube style muffler making it essentually a 4-2-1-2 setup. Any input on this idea would be greatly appreciated.

I heard what I thought was a dragster, and looked everywhere trying to get a glimpse, and a 1985 V-max pulls up next to me with a Kerker 4-1. I could feel it in my chest. I couldn't believe that motorcycle sounded like THAT! I had never seen a V-max in real life, nor any bike that made me FEEL power. Although my little 350 had a 4-1 and an almost open exhaust... it now seemed silent under the rumbling thunder of the AWE inspiring (I was literally in AWE of) Mighty Max. Riding home afterwards, my bike sounded like a model airplane engine. And every other bike did as well. And most cars too!

^^^ Thats why I ride a 85 max with stage 7,kerker 4 into 1 and comp baffle.
It says what it has to say,with a blip of the throttle.

Well, the trigger has been pulled, the genie will not go back in the bottle, and Pandora's box has been officially opened. The Kerker 4-2-1 is chrome has been ordered from my enabler - I mean Sean Morley - and I will gain the power I am currently lacking, plus hopefully a good chunk more.

Sean's airbox mod will arrive around the same time, and I sprung (no pun intended) for some Progressive 444 11.5 inch Shocks in back and 1 inch lower front springs. The goal is to keep the thing pointed where I want it to go, and maybe dial in some control.

I'm going to try to squeeze in a "before" dyno run at a local shop this weekend if they have the time, so I can see the difference as well as feel it.

I'm with Miles in that I like symmetry of looks from one side of the Vmax to the other. The sound a kerker 4/1 puts out is a sweet sound for sure, but I'm kinda partial to the sound of a Mark's 4/2 system. I picked up another set of cans from Mark of the 12" long with 2.75" opening but did not get a chance to install them yet. I'm guessing they might be a touch louder than my 12" long 2.25" opening cans I have now!
On a dirt bike the symmetry does not come into play for me though, so I'm not a complete fanatic of the symmetrical look, sorry Miles.:confused2:
I also can attest to the fact that Miles does indeed get the looks from nearly everyone that lay their eyes upon him, and yes some just cannot look away!:eusa_dance::biglaugh:

I also can attest to the fact that Miles does indeed get the looks from nearly everyone that lay their eyes upon him, and yes some just cannot look away!:eusa_dance::biglaugh:

Thanks, Bud.
So THAT'S what chicks find fascinating about my face - the symmetry!
As God's gift, I'll just have to learn to live with all the stares.
Cheers!
p.s., Borg - please find those 4 by fours a good home, and I'm sure the Kerker will be sweet!

I have two bike one with Kerker other with marks....I find the overall power band smoother and more linear with the marks 4-2. Plus it sounds awesome and looks wicked....I love the Kerker,tons upper power and sounds tough but I think you would enjoy the marks 4-2.....

I'm old, bald, fat, half blind, and my hearing is going. I did a lot to my '85 this year... Paint, exhaust, electrical upgrades (MOSFET conversion). The bike is definitely looking better than I am. We still get the eye from lots of people on the road and in local saloon parking lots.. Sadly, I'm sure most of the people are wondering how that geezer got such a cool bike..

However, there were at least two times, back decades ago, that the Max actually did get me laid..

Good times, good times.

kerker here/ no slip on loud as a f18 lol... still looking for a slip on for it

I thought a lot about the Mark's, but while the Mark's sounds like a hopped up muscle car, the Kerker sounds like a Dragster. Mark's makes me smile, but the Kerker induces that inner giggle you get from a private joke, one that only a few know of. That, and the knowledge that several car guys are looking for a hot car and can't figure out where it is! lol

Exhaust, baffle, shocks and springs arrived. Shocks are mounted, exhaust is off the bike. Tonight I cut the tabs and then start the Kerker mounting ceremony. A little Stevie Ray for music, and a bit of finesse on the pipes...

My garage faces towards my left neighbors. I am SO happy that they're (literally) deaf. But they might still FEEL that comp baffle!:hmmm:

Latest posts

Back