9 year old

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel sorry that the kid lost his mother but it should still be the riders right to choose. Riding without a helmet is a known risk, but so are many other things in life.

Personally, I always wear mine. A previous helmet I owned is the only reason I am able to type this message today.

Fatal accidents often cause > 1 fatal trauma-causing "insult," but the survivable accidents, a helmet prevents worse injuries. Not trying to insult the 9 y.o., but why wasn't she wearing one? AGATT. She should have worn her helmet regardless, a bad choice, yes, in hindsight. Palm Beach Co. is bad for fatal accidents. I understand the do-rag H-D riders need to 'keep-up their image,' but anyone who wants to maximize their chances in an accident wears one.

On the job and on a mcy, I've owed my health to a good helmet, on a bicycle too.

Fatal accidents often cause > 1 fatal trauma-causing "insult," but the survivable accidents, a helmet prevents worse injuries. Not trying to insult the 9 y.o., but why wasn't she wearing one? AGATT. She should have worn her helmet regardless, a bad choice, yes, in hindsight. Palm Beach Co. is bad for fatal accidents. I understand the do-rag H-D riders need to 'keep-up their image,' but anyone who wants to maximize their chances in an accident wears one.

On the job and on a mcy, I've owed my health to a good helmet, on a bicycle too.

I totally agree.But I found out in the past that these kind of post always sparks a huge,long firestorm that resolves nothing but getting everyone peed-off.Another subject that does that is gun control.seems like both subjects are something like TABOO!

I totally agree.But I found out in the past that these kind of post always sparks a huge,long firestorm that resolves nothing but getting everyone peed-off.Another subject that does that is gun control.seems like both subjects are something like TABOO!

Might as well add healthcare and religion to the mix :punk:

Might as well add healthcare and religion to the mix :punk:

Ya,your probably right.I am for helmets and pro gun but I find these two subjects cause a lot of conflict and find myself sorry sometimes that I ever got envolved with the thread.

When I'm in charge of the world ALL helmet and seat belt laws for adults will be immediately repealed. That being said one would hope that she would have cared enough about her family and her own safety to use readily available safety gear, but it was still her choice and natural selection reigns supreme once again.

She taught her son the importance of safety gear and probably very effectively so. Helmets are still an excellent idea but laws for it, serious governmental intrusion and overreach, a terrible way to spend tax dollars.

When I'm in charge of the world ALL helmet and seat belt laws for adults will be immediately repealed. That being said one would hope that she would have cared enough about her family and her own safety to use readily available safety gear, but it was still her choice and natural selection reigns supreme once again.

She taught her son the importance of safety gear and probably very effectively so. Helmets are still an excellent idea but laws for it, serious governmental intrusion and overreach, a terrible way to spend tax dollars.

+1
Totally agree with the "I don't need laws to protect me from myself" approach... If someone knows the risk and the possible consequences and aren't going to hurt anyone but themselves then let them make their own choice, as dumb as it may be.

If someone knows the risk and the possible consequences and aren't going to hurt anyone but themselves then let them make their own choice, as dumb as it may be.

Problem is, She may have been only thinking about herself in this situation. Not thinking about her 2 sons and husband. Chances are, If she was thinking about them, She most likely would not have been on the back of a bike in the 1st place.. BUT, With that said, you tend to limit your own freedoms and thrill seeking, when it comes to protecting your family. Many people give up riding, once they have a family to care for.

Freedom of choice is a great thing.
Maybe a limited freedom of choice is an option??
Helmet required if children are involved??
Don't shoot me.. JMHO. :ummm:

Problem is, She may have been only thinking about herself in this situation.

Freedom of choice is a great thing.
Maybe a limited freedom of choice is an option??
Helmet required if children are involved??
Don't shoot me.. JMHO. :ummm:
No you're wrong... my opinion is the only right one:biglaugh:

I definitely think she was only thinking of herself and I absolutely think she should have had a helmet on, I just don't think she should be told to have a helmet on. I think the govt intervention should be to the extent of informing people of how dangerous it is to not wear a helmet/seatbelt so that when they choose not to, there's no question as to how stupid the decision was. I just don't think that, generally speaking, laws should be replacing common sense decisions (IF you won't hurt anyone else). Yes, she had a family to think of (and it is sad about the kid), but she chose not to and as someone said this provides a great example for others of why people should choose to wear a helmet. I guess I'm getting pretty idealistic but I think people should be allowed to take risks (even really stupid ones) and deal with the consequences, rather than being coddled (and forcing everyone else to be coddled) and never learning the hard way.

.... He said stepping down from his soapbox.

I just don't think that, generally speaking, laws should be replacing common sense decisions (IF you won't hurt anyone else).
Conman, I understand your POV, and I agree.
The only thing is, is that many times, the term, "common sense" can be a misnomer.
Simply because, most of our "common sense" is derived from personal experience. Not to mention, "wisdom" that can be gleaned from another persons misfortune.

So, when it comes to some individuals, in order to protect them, they may be forced to to so, by enacting a law.. Too bad these same individuals makes it a burden on those who has "Common Sense".

When you look at the statistics at the amount of fatalities that has declined, right after the wearing of seat-belts were made into law. Those numbers don't lie. Yes, the introduction of airbags are helping greatly.

Some people require a smack in the face to know it hurts.. Some, can see others get smacked, to know it hurts.

Conman, I understand your POV, and I agree.
The only thing is, is that many times, the term, "common sense" can be a misnomer.
Simply because, most of our "common sense" is derived from personal experience. Not to mention, "wisdom" that can be gleaned from another persons misfortune.

So, when it comes to some individuals, in order to protect them, they may be forced to to so, by enacting a law.. Too bad these same individuals makes it a burden on those who has "Common Sense".

When you look at the statistics at the amount of fatalities that has declined, right after the wearing of seat-belts were made into law. Those numbers don't lie. Yes, the introduction of airbags are helping greatly.

Some people require a smack in the face to know it hurts.. Some, can see others get smacked, to know it hurts.

But that's just it, its not that she doesn't know helmets save lives, its that she decided to take a risk and paid the price for it, which frankly I don't have a problem with.
As I said I think its great that the govt puts out facts and figures about helmets/seatbelts/smoking/etc so that people can make an informed decision.

You don't like helmets 'cause they aren't cool? Fine. You want to eat Mcds every day? Go for it, but the ensuing brain damage/heart attack aren't a result of being uninformed, they're the result of someone deciding its worth it.

And as you said, some things, like the dangers of smoking, aren't intuitive, but that's where the govt should, and did, play its part and say "hey, this is what could happen if you decide to do this, so fair warning, what you're doing is dangerous".

Like i said before, IMO the govt should only offer advise to people, rather than protect them from themselves. Making informed decisions is a crucial thing to be able to do and I think that that should be left to the individual, so that a trend isn't set that puts more ridiculous laws into effect, like Bloomberg's law preventing the sale of 2 liters with meals (or whatever the deal is with that no-big-sugary-drinks-law). That goes back to what you said about people becoming a burden.

Just because some people don't have self control and shirk the blame to the 2 liter rather than accepting that they need to decide to eat healthier doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to have a kiddie pool full of soda with my pizza if I want.

The seatbelt law is less of an issue for me because there arent really any down sides (aside from that lost 3 sec haha), but the problem is that that law and the soda law follow the same thought process of "the public isn't responsible enough to make this decision, so we must mandate/ban/outlaw this for their own good".

I think if people adopted the mentality of "bummer... guess you shouldn't do that any more huh", rather than assuming their burden/problems (cough... obesity as a disability... cough) then we'd be hearing a lot less about the laws previously mentioned.

NY has a helmet law but maniacs still manage to kill themselves and others just as easy. I say wear one to help make the mess of brains on the roadway easier to clean off the road. I'm looking after you firemen/ems guys!!!

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from.. when they ban this and ban that, where does it end? it doesn't. I just cant help thinking about those children left without a mother in their life. and how that plays a huge roll, in the development of those children..
As I was growing up, it was more than just the parents raising you, it was the teachers and other parents in the area.. you started acting up, they would discipline you. Not like your parents would, but defiantly stop you getting further into mischief. As times go on, I see the YEUTS, of today in serious trouble. lack of guidance, lack of self worth, and a serious lack of how precious life really is.
many of them grow up into monsters. that's where I'm coming from, when I say what I said.

Back