a different 2nd gear problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okievmax

Reaction score
I know 2nd gear is jello on these bikes. Mine is just fine until i am getting on it. But it dont pop out of gear though. I always miss 2nd gear when im hot rodding. If i slow down shifting it goes kust fine but if i try and hurry it it just wont go. Can anything be adjusted or is 2nd gear just going out?

May have the dogs starting to round off. You could have the starting of a pin failure in the shift segment as well (redesigned in 1999). Easily updated once you pull the clutch out of the way.

Sean

I know 2nd gear is jello on these bikes. Mine is just fine until i am getting on it. But it dont pop out of gear though. I always miss 2nd gear when im hot rodding. If i slow down shifting it goes kust fine but if i try and hurry it it just wont go. Can anything be adjusted or is 2nd gear just going out?

:punk: Hey, Try adjusting your shift lever and linkage. Could be that simple. Good Luck, Spurs

Same thing corrected most of the missed second gear shifts for me Spurs...
It was set too high on my 94... Doh, finally figured it out myself...:bang head:

How do i go about adjusting it?
OK, what you want to do is lenthen the shifting rod, which will lower the shifter height. Rod is at the engine end of the shifter.
- There are two 10 mm nuts on the rod, the bottom nut normal threaded, loosen it a turn or so,
- The upper nut is reverse threaded, while loosening the upper nut, use a pair of pliers to hold the rod to ensure it does not turn, loosen the upper nut.
- Mark the rod before you adjust, black Sharpie or something,
- Turn the rod only 1/2 turn counter clockwise...this actually moves the shifter a good amount.
- Hold the rod with pliers, tighten both nuts up.
Go for a ride and see what she does. May require another adjustment. Lets us know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back