A/F Pilot needle Screw Adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Looked but could not find a How To Adjust A/F pilot screw. Does anyone know where in the tech area or how to area I could find a pictorial and verbage on how to adjust it. Got a new one installed in carb 3 and would like to adjust it properly for idle mixture. Thanks.

The problem is the only way to really adjust them correctly is to take the bike to a dyno that has a proper A/F ratio sniffer and will tell you where it's at.

But, 2.5 turns out is usually a good start. Also you can see where your other ones are by screwing them all the way in (carefully and gently) while counting how many turns it takes to get to the all-in stop. Then turn them back to where they were, and if they're all in the same area then install your new one with the same number.

On my old '86 I found they seemed to be happiest around 2 1/4 turns out, but each bike varies.

Looked but could not find a How To Adjust A/F pilot screw. Does anyone know where in the tech area or how to area I could find a pictorial and verbage on how to adjust it. Got a new one installed in carb 3 and would like to adjust it properly for idle mixture. Thanks.

Buster gives a good description of how to set the a/f's. The only thing I can add to that is a good sync first, then I turn my idle down a little (just for the setting) to get the best response from each carb. It does take a trained ear. People with this good ear skill are prolly older than most
rofl_200.gif

. It used to be the standard before all the nice electronic equipment was available. All the a/f's won't necessarily be set exactly the same. This isn't an issue.
Steve-o

Buster gives a good description of how to set the a/f's. The only thing I can add to that is a good sync first, then I turn my idle down a little (just for the setting) to get the best response from each carb. It does take a trained ear. People with this good ear skill are prolly older than most
rofl_200.gif

. It used to be the standard before all the nice electronic equipment was available. All the a/f's won't necessarily be set exactly the same. This isn't an issue.
Steve-o

I tried the 'by ear' adjustment, maybe I'm just not old enough, but I couldn't hear a change! I guess with 4 cylinders it's hard to hear a change adjusting just one of them..
So, the only real difference was it conked out when a screw was in all the way. I gave up and set them at 2.5, then over the following months experimented between 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 with a lot of riding :clapping:

Thank you for all the useful information. I can go ahead and start the process.

Back