A good head scratcher

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee4DFW

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Here's a bit of a stumper. When the bike ignition is turned on, the following happens:

The headlight does not light up [fuse good] high beam or low beam. Signal lights work, horn works.

When the button is placed to run:

1. The Vboost mechanism does not actuate
2. Nothing happens when a hit the start button. The starter does not turn.

Howdy all,

Here's a bit of a stumper. When the bike ignition is turned on, the following happens:

The headlight does not light up [fuse good] high beam or low beam. Signal lights work, horn works.

When the button is placed to run:

1. The Vboost mechanism does not actuate
2. Nothing happens when a hit the start button. The starter does not turn.

its almost like your run/off switch is stuck to off and your starter button is stuck 'in'. hahah

no kidding. I would think it's the battery but I actually took it out and wired in a car battery to see if the headlamp would light but no go. It might be something perfectly obvious. The bike was running fine yesterday but I did notice the head light was kind of flickering before I shut it off. PLus it was missing a bit. It rode fine up until I rode it into the garage...could be the aliens :ummm:

Sean,

That's the first thing I checked. I have a spare reegulator. Going to swap that out this weekend.

Mine happened overnight.

Sounds like Starter button.....happened to my '85 around X-mas time...good thing I had a couple days off...had me stumped.
I just started pulling stuff apart.....even checked the switch twice...finally
Took the switch apart again...little sandpaper and wd and was set....after exhausting all other reasonable possibilitys.

i would think that were a possibility but my headlight is off as well?
When I hit the starter button it lights up the oil pressure light which is whaat I would expect.

Update: The problem is fixed and it was obvious. It was a loose cable at the ignition switch. Becasue I park my bike with it's wheel to the left [OCD] thing] I didn't think to turn the wheel which got the headlight to go on and the bike to start up. I took that plastic key cover off and found that the cable had been crimped so I juggled the wires a bit to give it more slack and that fixed it. I had relooed at the starter switch per all your suggestions which made me look at the ignition connections.

Thank you all.

Back