A Little Help For A Newbie Purchase

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogmason

Reaction score
I have been reading post for a awhile now, and have been looking for a Vmax for a long time. I have found one, that is a few hours from me. I just wanted to know what you fellas thought of the bike. It is a 1998, with 13k miles, Kerker Slip-ons I think, Stage 7 Jet kit, Air box removed and K&N Filter replaced. New Tires, Drag bars, Shorty Signals. The owner claims that the bike is in perfect condition and was dynoed at 120hp to the rear wheel. All electrical works with no problems. What should I know about the stage 7 kit? Like I said I am a newbie to the vmax, but have had lots of bikes in the past, including building a chopper and selling it if you know how hard that is.... Any help would be great. The asking price was $5,250, but I offered $4500 and he was cool with that. I will try and post pictures as well. Thanks Fellas

VMAX 004.jpg VMAX 005.jpg VMAX 006.jpg VMAX 007.jpg VMAX 008.jpg

Looks like it's in damn good condition. The drag bars aren't that much of an upgrade as far as value goes. The Stage 7 and the kerkers are worth a little in value.
Not sure about seeing anything behind you with those mirrors.
But as long as it runs as good as it looks, I'd say it's a good deal for $4500.

Have you ridden it? Or any other VMax before?

T Dog,Looks like it would be worth $4500.Don't be afraid of the stage 7 carbs.Go bring it home!

No I haven't riddin this bike and no I haven't riddin a Vmax before, but I am have owned an R1, a VTX1800, a vulcan 800, a Honda Shadow, and a Big Bear Sled Chopper. I know what to look for when Test Riding so I do agree with both of you, if it rides as good as it looks I will buy it. I also agree with you on the mirrors, that will be the first thing to come off the bike. Thanks for the help fellas...

Stage seven and the kerker slip-ons don't normally agree with each other well but it can be tuned in for them. Try and eventually get yourself a full header (brand is not really important) and you will see a drastic improvement in power.

The kerker slip-ons I think are discontinued and you should be able to get a reasonable price out of them. Now you could also get comp baffles for the slip-ons and that would sound very good. Still won't give you maximum tuning but it would sounds great.

Sean Morley

If it rides like it looks it oughtta be a good deal I think.

I gave $5200 for a 'pristine (at the time:biglaugh:) 99 with 9300miles on it 3 years ago and felt like I stole it.

As hard as these bikes are to find, finding one in really good shape is worth something in my book. I live in the Houston area (3 million people or so in the metro area) and still had to drive across the state (Ft.Worth) to find what I wanted.

I sealed the deal before I saw it, contingent on the guy having told me the truth about it's condition and not being a liar and me finding out after I drove up there.

Rusty

I have been reading post for a awhile now, and have been looking for a Vmax for a long time. I have found one, that is a few hours from me. I just wanted to know what you fellas thought of the bike. It is a 1998, with 13k miles, Kerker Slip-ons I think, Stage 7 Jet kit, Air box removed and K&N Filter replaced. New Tires, Drag bars, Shorty Signals. The owner claims that the bike is in perfect condition and was dynoed at 120hp to the rear wheel. All electrical works with no problems. What should I know about the stage 7 kit? Like I said I am a newbie to the vmax, but have had lots of bikes in the past, including building a chopper and selling it if you know how hard that is.... Any help would be great. The asking price was $5,250, but I offered $4500 and he was cool with that. I will try and post pictures as well. Thanks Fellas

View attachment 2555 View attachment 2556 View attachment 2557 View attachment 2558 View attachment 2559

I bought my 98 in 2002 for $5500.00 Bike had 7K on the odometer in mint condition. Only add on was some crappy Cobra Slip ons which were taken off the first week of buying it.
I love my 98 besides going through 4 engines.

I bought my 98 in 2002 for $5500.00 Bike had 7K on the odometer in mint condition. Only add on was some crappy Cobra Slip ons which were taken off the first week of buying it.
I love my 98 besides going through 4 engines.
how many engines did you o through

looks nice i bought my 99 in jan for 5300 has about 3k in extras just turned 10k never been in the rain the person i bought it from was very anal retentive on it the tank had a scratch so he had the whole bike repainted . stage 1 kerker 124.4 at tnt performance even on their website .billet mirrors mini blinkers hidden taillight progressive shocks Sportmax seat new Metzler ME880 tires 170 rear Lower temp radiator fan switch ect. everything i wanted .really cool bike paid a bit more then i wanted but knowing how it was taken care of made it worth the price . had to make a few changes to fit me bars normal controls

Attachments

• 6774_3.JPG
    6774_3.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 121907 016.jpg
    121907 016.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 12
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 9
Stage 7 is overkill for lowly slip on exhaust. Stage one would be a better match but I would rather have the stage 7 set up and change exhaust and really get some Ponies. Why haven't any of you V Max veterans warned him about the aftermarket addiction he will suffer after the purchase? Sometimes life's lessons are best learned by one's self! Enjoy! PATMAX

Tdog, Blue book on a 98 is $4440. So I would say if it is in as good as condition as the pictures show, snatch it up.
If it doesn't have any corrosion or pitting on it, then it's in excellent condition, so It's a good deal.
You'll be hard pressed to find another one that looks that good.

Stage 7 is overkill for lowly slip on exhaust. Stage one would be a better match but I would rather have the stage 7 set up and change exhaust and really get some Ponies. Why haven't any of you V Max veterans warned him about the aftermarket addiction he will suffer after the purchase? Sometimes life's lessons are best learned by one's self! Enjoy! PATMAX

I was going to warn him about the Vboost, but with a Stage 7, that's moot, because he needs to be warned about that puppy takin off without him if he doesn't hold on tight.
The VMax is NOOO "Sled" TDOG!
:punk:

Oh, I realize that the Vmax is no Sled, but I have owned an R1 so I think I might be able to handle it, and the vtx1800 was not a turtle by any means. I did get the VTX in the low 11's at the drag strip, that was my favorite bike to date. And you fellas don't worry about the PAS (Post Aftermarket Syndrome) I have suffered from that on all the bikes I have owned. It would be safe to say the I have spent as much money on aftermarket goods as the bikes themselves. Thanks for the help, I will be going to pick this bike up tomorrow, and I will keep you posted with pictures and mod's after I get my hands on it. Tdog

I thought it might be cool to show you guys some of my other bikes....

A BIKE 1.jpg screensavers 118.jpg screensavers 628.jpg bike.jpg

Back