Air Intake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04modwrx

Reaction score
I have an 07 Vmax. I have owned fuel injection bikes for years, but this is my first carbed bike. Everything is stock. I have been told the most inexpensive HP improvement is to let the bike breathe. that i should get rid of the stock airbox. is this the best and least expensive option?
By the way, i dont have $1000 for aftermarket pipes

this bike seems so much slower that my 07 GSXR 1000. but i just can not handle bending over that much any more. Any inexpensive suggestions?
thanks for your input.
Mike

Keep an eye out for used exhaust systems on here, you can usually get one for a pretty decent price and pair that with either a Morleys Muscle kit or a Stage 7 kit. Id got with the Morleys kit so you can retain the air box to help block hot air from the motor and keep the velocity stacks.

A Stage 7 kit is a waste of money unless you also add an FULL after market exhaust system.

Mike,

I have never heard too much about actually changing the airbox as opposed to changing the air filter to something like a K&N for a bit better breathing. Getting more air just allows you to burn more fuel which is more power. If you don't change the pipes so you can get rid of it just as fast As you suck it in then it's not actually going to be much, if any of a noticeable change.

The GSXR 1000 is a very fast bike and the "feel" of the inline 4 to the V4 is very different, but your Max shouldn't be much, if any slower. Does it seem to be running properly? Have you Synched the carbs? ( VERY important) Is the V-boost operating?

Also, before I upgraded my pipes I did drill out the baffles with 5 1/4 inch or 6mm holes which with the K&N filter not only seemed to help with power but I really liked the sound.
There are a couple of vids on Youtube and I think on this forum on how to do it.

Matt

A Stage 7 kit is a waste of money unless you also add an FULL after market exhaust system.

+ 1 on the stage 7 & Comparing a Max to a GSXR is like apples to oranges completely 2 different bikes. A GSXR will flat suck the paint off a Gen 1 Max with a good rider maybe not off the line but by 2nd gear the GSXR should be gone

Hi Mike,

Untill you get a full exhaust system, you can get a bit more out of a stock piped bike by removing the "Y" on top of the air box or better yet just raising it about 3/8 to 1/2" with a spacer ( like a stiff foam) and longer screws. Then trimming the opening of the K&N filter to it's max and matching it to the air box opening and the "Y". Also tie a couple of coils on the big spring on the carb diaphram up with some very thin wire. Of course a proper sync helps.
Drilling out the mufflers really dosen't help but it does sound better if the center baffel is drilled out. ( IMHO )
Good luck
Lew

Latest posts

Back