Another Newbie!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxing

Reaction score
Well, I just traded an old dirtbike for a '91 Max...bike is a little rough though. Was stored by the ocean for a few years (like 7) so all the aluminum is oxidized, the bolts are rusty, ect. I am gona paint it all flat black and gloss balck the frame and the wheels. I really dont care about aesthetics anyhoo. I do have some questions though as I am new to the Vmax (not to street or dirtbikes).

1. My front forks have a strange way to air them up. There is a schrader valve on the left leg at the top with a cross over tube to the right side. Is this the normal setup? I ask because I see in the owners manual that there should be a valve on top of the forks under the cap.

2. I have a low speed wobble of death I have to fix. The previous owner mounted the tire backwards and that could easily be the spurce, but at about 25 when slowing with no brakes the bars will almost rip out of out of my hands...YIKES!

3. What parts are needed to convert from a cartridge syle oil filter to a regular spin on type? If the cases are the same for the later years, then I assume the factory has the parts.

4. I want to open the exhaust up a tad, also the stock pipe has bubbled and rusty chrome. The header pipes are a little rusty too. I don't want to spend a shit-ton of $$$ though. So what might the options be? Are aftermarket header pipes better as far as performance goes? Or maybe I pull the stock header pipes, get them re-coated, then add a set of slip-ons?

5. The bike is fast...I am comming from a Harley most recently (have had tons of sportbikes in the past, but been a while).

Thanks in advance for the help and comments. I am psyched for a new project (just sold our rally car).

Welcome!

1. In 1993, Vmaxes had air valve under fork caps. You might have a different year manual than your '91.

2. I would remove the front wheel, forks and check your steering bearings. They probably need to be replaced.

3. You need a late model cross brace which is curved. Early models brace is straight. Then, you need to buy a spin-on adapter kit. Contact these guys:http://www.cycleoneoff.com/ They use to offer one but can't find it on their website.

4. The stock front headers are double walled. Personally, I'd find a good used aftermarket header system....either Mark's, Walker's or HMF. Otherwise, contact Sean Morley at [email protected]. He might have some stock headers lying around. From there, you can get Supertrapp, Kerker, Dale Walker, etc. for slip-ons.

5. Yeah, best Harley could do was a Vrod....which they didn't even design. The Vrod is getting better....but a stock Vmax would still spank it.

Mark

as mark pointed out:

1 - 85-92 had smaller forks and had a crossover valve to keep the air pressure even. If you thicken the fork fluid, get progressive or racetech springs with emulators, then you run no air pressure (which actually makes the fluid foamy thus decreasing handling).

93 and on were larger forks and better brakes (I have a few sets available which are bolt on) and have the air valves you are referring to. They are the same in that running no air and better components is better.

2 - Probably time to change the bearings but before you resort to that you need to swap the tire (maybe even get a new one since bad wear is already happened). Then adjust the steering head bearings (they are too loose right now). You want the handlebars to fall slowly with a slight nudge and not bounce when they hit the bottoming out stops (with the font wheel off the ground while the bike is on the centerstand or otherwise held up). If you get them too tight the bike will not want to keep going in a straight line and you will need to loosen them up slightly.

3 - see marks comment but I recently bought one on ebay if you don't have any luck look there. Also you can look for the same kit for the early ventures as they are the same. 96 and newer have the spin on from the factory but they are entirely new cases and nothing swaps except the entire engine if you went that way.

4 - he is right, an aftermarket set will make more power (not just slip-ons), and I do have a few nice sets of stock pipes around.

5 - Welcome to the fastest "Cruiser" bike around!

Sean Morley

Just put first LONG ride on the bike...about 200 miles...WOW! Has ALL the power even for a short-shifter like me. The handling...well not so nice, but with some new front rubber and maybe some suspender dialing in I think it will get close. I really am not a canyon carver anymore and for what the bike lacks on the curves it makes up for in the straits. I was surprised by the ergos...quite comfy yet still able to crank it into the corners.

I deffinately want to get some headers, but am confused about your "stock" headers you have. I allready have the stock set up on the bike, so what benefit will "stock" headers net me? There is a set of NEW Supertraps on ebay right now for $290 in black...slip on only, are these worth picking up OR does anyone have something used...I am a cheap bastard so I am cringing at the $290 price.

I also now have a slight leaky fork seal, so either a rebuild is in order OR maybe one of the upgrade sets Sean mentioned. Let me know...the brake upgrade sounds nice too!

Thanks again,

Rem

Nice, informative forum ya'll have here. :thumbs up:
I am the new owner of a 1992 red v-max. I bought it from the original owner and it only had 4300 miles on it. He said he bought new tires for it 3 years ago and stored in cold storage every winter but the tires have cracks on them (dry rot?). I ordered new V rated Avons yesterday. The next upgrade is the seat, which feels like sitting on a log compared to my old Honda Sabre. But the ol' Sabre didn't have gitter-up-n-go like this bike does.:biglaugh: Next summer I'm thinking a full Super Trap exhaust system will be in order.
Once I get the Avon's installed I think I'll give my brother's FZ-1 a good look at the max's tailpipe! At least through 2-3 gears! :rocket bike:

I tried to upload some pics (.JPG) into the Garage but was not sucessuful. :hmmm: I will try again from home....

Back