Any chance I can get a Metzler 880 rear by Friday?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Just curious... would like to do a few hundred miles this weekend. My rear is right on the wear indicators.....

Anybody have any ideas how I could get an ME880 rear by Friday (preferably sooner so I could get it on the bike) ?

Yeah since I dont your location but USA it makes it hard. I would do a search using google . com and type in motorcycle tires and start looking for a place close to you. You can always pay the extra 45+ dollars for next day air. It's 2008 and most people want there shit yesterday, the question is are you willing to pay?

I've got one on hand but not sure you would like it! It's a white wall!

Sean

just put one on 2 weeks ago,..310 dollars Canadian installed.But much better tire than the Macadams,...they wear like butter.

Just curious... would like to do a few hundred miles this weekend. My rear is right on the wear indicators.....

Anybody have any ideas how I could get an ME880 rear by Friday (preferably sooner so I could get it on the bike) ?

Depending on where you live. www.DennisKirk.com ships out the same day the order is placed via UPS. They will also honor any competitors tire prices. Good Luck!

Again, not sure if there is one near your. But there are two cycle gear stores here in houston and they both had them in stock when I called, so did the local Yammy dealer(at stealer price though). Got if for like 150 from cycle gear. Pick up the phone and you will get one buy Friday easy. I started looking on a Thursday and had it on the bike Friday night, couldn't get to the store afterwork Thursday, but they held if for me.

So. Utah - if that helps with finding the right shop...

I'm going to look around/call right now....

(Sean, thanks for the help..... can't use a whitewall tire right now, though....)

Dennis Kirk has the rear but no front. Yeah, I could get it here fast, if I want to pay $150 for shipping:

UPS Three Day Select $56.45 Guaranteed Delivery: Friday, October 03
UPS Second Day Air $89.26 Guaranteed Delivery: Thursday, October 02
UPS Next Day Air PM $132.44 Guaranteed Delivery: Wednesday, October 01 - Afternoon Delivery
UPS Next Day Air $139.90 Guaranteed Delivery: Wednesday, October 01
Priority Mail (No Tracking) $39.45 Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, October 07 thru Wednesday, October
FedEx Two Day $97.55 Expected Delivery: Thursday, October 02
FedEx Standard Overnight $142.41 Expected Delivery: Wednesday, October 01 - Afternoon Delivery
FedEx Priority Overnight $153.91

Local shop (45mins away) has Dunlop Elite II or a Bridgestone G702. I've run the Dunlop Elite IIs on my XS1100 and they were a really good tire. Have been set on the ME880s for a while now, though....

Try Harley shop, they used to use that size on some of their older beasts.

Sean

I know you said you wanted the ME880 but you may want to look at the Shinko rear tire. I just installed a new Shinko 230R TOURMASTER BW - 170/80V15 83V REAR that I ordered from Tires Unlimited and received in 2.5 days. It cost $100 delivered to my door. I just ran it for 900 miles this weekend over every surface you could imagine (almost) and it worked great. I even ran it in the rain at 75 + mph with total confidence. I only had it up to about 130 mph so far, no surprises, tracked great and cornered well. I will be able to tell more now that I am back home and hit some of the more familiar twisties so I can test the cornering limits.
I know you were looking for the ME880 but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. I hope you get your new tire before your ride!

I know you said you wanted the ME880 but you may want to look at the Shinko rear tire. I just installed a new Shinko 230R TOURMASTER BW - 170/80V15 83V REAR that I ordered from Tires Unlimited and received in 2.5 days. It cost $100 delivered to my door. I just ran it for 900 miles this weekend over every surface you could imagine (almost) and it worked great. I even ran it in the rain at 75 + mph with total confidence. I only had it up to about 130 mph so far, no surprises, tracked great and cornered well. I will be able to tell more now that I am back home and hit some of the more familiar twisties so I can test the cornering limits.
I know you were looking for the ME880 but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. I hope you get your new tire before your ride!

Thanks for the info Brian. I've seen that some on here are trying out the Shinko brand.

Either way, the local shops have the tires I don't want. I think I'll cancel the "long" riding this weekend and just do a lot of short riding on the main roads. Hopefully next week or weekend I can run on new tires.

I've got a set of straight forks from an '88 Max to install also (to replace the "machine-shop-straightened" forks on the bike right now) so maybe I should do the front tire and fork swap at the same time.....

I would choose a Shinko any day over a Metzler and even more so a Dunlop!
I am glad some of you are smart enough to try and run this tire its not only much cheaper its an awesome all around tire on the VMAX.

I have 60ft 1.53's on the track with this tire which is just about as sticky as a drag slick.
I have ridden in the rain at speeds up to 90MPH.
I have ridden this tire well over the 155 mark on the speedo with Nitrous.Tire wears well for the VMAX.
I have scraped pegs on turns, all in all you cant beat a Shinko.

I would choose a Shinko any day over a Metzler and even more so a Dunlop!
I am glad some of you are smart enough to try and run this tire its not only much cheaper its an awesome all around tire on the VMAX.

I have 60ft 1.53's on the track with this tire which is just about as sticky as a drag slick.
I have ridden in the rain at speeds up to 90MPH.
I have ridden this tire well over the 155 mark on the speedo with Nitrous.Tire wears well for the VMAX.
I have scraped pegs on turns, all in all you cant beat a Shinko.

Thanks for the good info, Lankee. Will try out the Shinkos at some point.

So. Utah - if that helps with finding the right shop...

I'm going to look around/call right now....

I'm a little late on this one, but Wright's Motorcycle - State Street - Downtown SLC usually has the best selection and price on Metzlers.

My rear ME880 from Dennis Kirk showed up last Friday while I was on my trip.... That's good service.

Back