any experience with ohlins springs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrizog60

Reaction score
as title says...
need to get the front fixed and try to cure the high speed cornering wobble(all rest is ok,just stock vmax frame and suspension) and can get ohlins.

i am from portugal and progressive springs wiil be at the same price or more but i dont know any feedback from ohlins springs...

are is some data from their site:
http://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52932/

thanks

do you have any frame stiffeners? i.e. frame braces or solid motor mounts, I think those will cure your wobble in the turns, that's caused from your frame flexing under load

Springs and shock didn't help the tail wagging feel in hard corners.
Solid motor mounts did a bit. A braced swingarm did a lot

Ohlins is owned by Yamaha and they are very well designed and if you have found a VMax listing, you can be sure it's going to work for you. I'm unsure if they have straight wound or variable would springs. Use their website and choose something for your dressed out weight and if you ride w/ a passenger frequently. I still use the pneumatic fork stock on the VMax and find that a bit of experimenting w/different pressures across the allowable range listed in the owner's manual makes a big difference. I don't know if the aftermarket springs call for no additional air pressure but I would say, ride the bike and if you find it's nose-diving still under braking for your style of riding, use some air pressure and keep tuning until you get the handling you want.

I have RICOR Intiminator cartridge style wave washer stacks and Race Tech springs, and still use air pressure. I am very happy w/the handling. You might also check the torque on your engine mount bolts, back them off and re-torque in steps. Same for the swingarm pivots. There is also a method of tightening the front forks including the steering head bearings which will help if the fork has been misaligned by a previous owner or shop not doing it correctly. All these things will help to boost your handling.

bike has 8000km so i dont think its been messed with.

ohlins springs looks to be straight wound,but when times comes i will ask.

some of the bad feeling i bet is the front oem tyres,on regular use i found it normal but a little vague.
when passing road stripes the bike feels funny,guess is the tyres.

on another note when reinforcing the swing arm is it possible to keep the center stand?

thanks

I would put money into a 17" wheel before a braced swing arm! That 15" bias ply tire will flex more than the frame + swing arm ever will - especially if its under pressurized

I agree. For my $ & in my experience, changing to radial tires is the #1 best improvement you can make.

I would put money into a 17" wheel before a braced swing arm! That 15" bias ply tire will flex more than the frame + swing arm ever will - especially if its under pressurized

i know that but in portugal i have to stick with the sizes that are in the bike registration,cops around here check for that.

so frame and swing reinforcements are needed,but i would like to keep stock center stand and exhaust if possible...

Try using a Shinko Tour Master 230 rear with a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front.
That is the Best BIAS ply tire combo I have ever used on my Vmax since I bought it 2001.
The difference when cornering vs. the OEM tires is Amazing, my Vmax sticks to the road like glue when running that combo.

Also aftermarket fork springs and Frames Braces should help a Lot as well.
I've had Progressive Springs with 10 wt. fork fluid in my forks for a few years now and my Vmax is much smoother on the highway and tightens up quickly in the curves.
I just installed the RMSprortmax Weld on braces and they tightened my VMax up a LOT.
http://www.rmsportmax.com/rods.html

The Ohlins Fork Springs in the link look straight wound, so I'd assume they offer different rate Springs like Racetech's, which you would have to match to your weight.
If not, I'd get Racetech or Progressive fork springs.

Last edited:
Check tire pressures, check if they are balanced and not cupped. Check steering bearings torque. All that is freeish

tyres would need to be change,the rear is almost worn and i dont like them...
they are well inflated.

is there any distibuter of progressive or racetech in europe?

Not sure if there are racetech or progressive distributors over there but I would not hesitate to buy from ohlins.

If you really want progressive I'm sure Sean Morley could send some to you.

Shipping cost and customs would kill the price...
How can i calculate the spring force?i am 1.75 tall and wheight 75kg.
Wildweasel:do you know what is used in europeus as springs up front?

Thanks all for responses

Back