Anyone got a spare ignition???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
I stick my key in my bike and get ready to ride...just to find out my ignition is taking a shit.I turn the key and nothing.
After shaking the key a bit the lights come on and it can be started so long as I dont touch the key because it will turn everything off again.

Both the big bike places I called near my place wanted about $135 for a replacement.I dont want to spent nearly $150 on somthing that cost $10 to make.

Anyone have a spare lying around? Ill gladly pay you for it if you want.

And will a newer V-Max ignition fit in my 85 or are they year specific?
Thanks guys.

The ignition switch is the same for all years but there isn't a lot that is interchangeable. I have a few but I try to sell them as complete sets. I probably have an ignition only I would sell but I won't be as cheap as the other guys on here would be. Email me if you don't have any luck. Usually about 1/2 of retail (currently a little over $150). A locksmith may be able to repair yours but not sure.

Sean

I had the same problem a while back and ended up biting the bullit for a new one. The copper contacts inside usually wear out and fail. I didn't want to chance being on the road a have the bike die out in traffic.

Have you attempted to take it apart and clean it up? I have been able to take mine apart all the way down to the key cylinder. Best way to clean and lube it!

Let me know if you would like any assistance. I have a spare that I can take apart & document if need be.

Kent.
VMOA #778

Back