Anyone try this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
I have been looking at using a hydrographic water transfer process to "paint" a couple of my airsoft guns in CADPAT and am wondering if anyone here has used this process? Saw a couple of examples of motorcycles, including what I swear is a Vmax faux tank, and camo guns that look amazing! My one concern would be durability on either Toxic or my guns. If you have any experience with this process please post it here!

Wow!! that is a neat process. Ive heard of it but never really looked into until now. It appears that it is questionable as to the long term durability of the process. I mean its basically printing directly onto whatever so the durability would greatly depend on the actual finish work (clear coat) neat though. It would be great for parts that never see impacts or too much touching.

Apparently they use an automotive grade clear coat once the transfer drys. Talk about being able to have depth and dimension to a paint job!!! Might get some of Toxics panels done this way too as it is cheaper than a paint job.

See the pics on our Facebook Jim. It's the same paint as auto paint and if done right the same durability.

I have had the front and rear mudguards, side panel's, scoops and faux tank re-finished in carbon effect using the Hydrographic process.

I'm delighted with the effect and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The pictures in my album (bar one) show the bike post hydrographicalised (is that a word?).

I can send you close ups if required

I have been looking at using a hydrographic water transfer process to "paint" a couple of my airsoft guns in CADPAT and am wondering if anyone here has used this process? Saw a couple of examples of motorcycles, including what I swear is a Vmax faux tank, and camo guns that look amazing! My one concern would be durability on either Toxic or my guns. If you have any experience with this process please post it here!

Yeah I ask Sean to use some on my bike :eusa_dance:. looks pretty cool.
vmaxcarbonfiber.jpg

Resampled952011-10-059517-09-119.jpg

carbonfiberswing.jpg

Just found out that you can get a kit to apply it at home as well! Am going to get one and the film in the camo pattern I want and do my airsoft guns first, just to see how they come out, and then if successful I will probably do my own body panels for Toxic. The films are actually very reasonable if you buy a stock pattern (~$20/sq yd). If I can do all the work myself in my basement I can do a pretty sick looking job on Toxic too!!!!

New updated pic of the arm. We had it redipped to better match the other parts and get more clear on it for protection.

Sean

Attachments

• Carbon Swingarm.jpg
    Carbon Swingarm.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 30
New updated pic of the arm. We had it redipped to better match the other parts and get more clear on it for protection.

Sean

That looks incredible!! Was wondering how you did that when I first saw it a while back. Will have to talk to you about what your guy can do. Was thinking a "Toxic landscape" theme for Toxic's body panels.

That looks incredible!! Was wondering how you did that when I first saw it a while back. Will have to talk to you about what your guy can do. Was thinking a "Toxic landscape" theme for Toxic's body panels.

Jim,
You will love the affects of it. There are litterally hundreds of different styles of the film to choose from. The more complex the part the more pain in the ass for the dipper. The swing are has many areas of different angles, so they had to dip mine twice.( A stock one would be way better than a braced one). Meaning there will be a visible seam and more than likely not noticable unless you are looking hard. If you look at the picture of my swingarm that Sean had posted there is a line or appears to be a seam running the length of the arm. Last time they did it you could not see the seam they put it as far down on the tubes they could. This time I am sure it will be the same. :clapping:
G

Jim,
You will love the affects of it. There are litterally hundreds of different styles of the film to choose from. The more complex the part the more pain in the ass for the dipper. The swing are has many areas of different angles, so they had to dip mine twice.( A stock one would be way better than a braced one). Meaning there will be a visible seam and more than likely not noticable unless you are looking hard. If you look at the picture of my swingarm that Sean had posted there is a line or appears to be a seam running the length of the arm. Last time they did it you could not see the seam they put it as far down on the tubes they could. This time I am sure it will be the same. :clapping:
G

The seam is barely noticable, and having built lots of carbon fiber parts it is not unusual to have a seam or two depending on the size and shape of the part is. That swingarm is sick looking for sure!!!

The seam is barely noticable, and having built lots of carbon fiber parts it is not unusual to have a seam or two depending on the size and shape of the part is. That swingarm is sick looking for sure!!!

Well then there you go.... It is obvious that I don't know much about carbon fiber work... :rofl_200: LOL

G

Just found out that you can get a kit to apply it at home as well! Am going to get one and the film in the camo pattern I want and do my airsoft guns first, just to see how they come out, and then if successful I will probably do my own body panels for Toxic. The films are actually very reasonable if you buy a stock pattern (~$20/sq yd). If I can do all the work myself in my basement I can do a pretty sick looking job on Toxic too!!!!

Can you post where you found this do it at home kit? I'd like to give this a try on one of my son's airsoft guns too.

Will post up pics of my M4 SPR airsoft rifle once I get it dipped. Am entertaining the thought of trying to find some gold carbon fiber for Toxic.....

Back