AR-15 Pistol? Opinions?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
FFL dealer friend of mine called
me and told me about the following.

It's an Olympic OA-93 AR-15 pistol, 6.5, Pre '93 Pre-ban mfg..

From what I can out find these were the very first AR-15 pistols and what makes them "special" or different is that unlike all the other AR-15 pistols you can build or buy, the OA-93 does not use a conventional AR upper.

Specifically they use a redesigned upper to move the buffer/recoil assembly to the top of the receiver in order to get rid of the ugly buffer tube sticking out of the back that all the other AR pistols I've looked at have.

Any body have an opinion on these or AR platform pistols in general?

I've had plenty of Olympic conventional AR's in the past and they shoot as good as anyone else's so I'm not worried about the brand itself.

I don't know anything about that specific model, but I do know ARs pretty well. I had a few ar pistols myself. My plan was to eventually convert them to SBRs (after BS paperwork and BS tax stamp). I never actually wanted to have just an AR pistol. I eventually sold my pistol uppers and reused my lowers for rifles.

Just looking at the pistol, the first thing I'd find out is, do they still make parts for it? Looks like a completely proprietary design. If it were me, I'd pass just for that reason. I don't like owning a gun that if something happens, parts are non existent. I actually have a Norinco 84s that I don't shoot because I only have one magazine and the magazines cost $75-$100.

Edit: Gunbroker search returned zero parts. But the pistols are selling for $950-$1050, so if you got it cheap enough it may be a good investment.

Personally I'd stick to mil-spec, a whole hell of a lot easier to replace things when something simple wears out.

However at the right price, its always fun to acquire a new toy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

The upper is proprietary and not available at all for sure.

Did figure out the lower is 100% typical
lower so worst case scenario Icould build a "regular" AR pistol out of it with the pokey outtey buffer if it failed bad enough.

Maybe I should just buy an AK pistol for half the money.

Thanks guys.

The upper is proprietary and not available at all for sure.

Did figure out the lower is 100% typical
lower so worst case scenario Icould build a "regular" AR pistol out of it with the pokey outtey buffer if it failed bad enough.

Maybe I should just buy an AK pistol for half the money.

The Zastava PAP pistols are awesome. I don't have the pistols, but have 3 Zastava rifles, awesome build quality, especially for the price.

I have 2 O-PAPs and 1 N-PAP rifle.

HOOT ... have one - don't like it a bit. It actually belongs to my father or I'd sell it to ya cheap. Note that the one I have is .223 - not .556.

The reason I don't like it is it's reliability - anybodies guess whether or not the "second" shot is gonna happen as planned. Pops only has metal mags of questionable origin so I have it so that I can take it out and try it with some of my mags to see if that fixes the cycling problems.

HOOT ... have one - don't like it a bit. It actually belongs to my father or I'd sell it to ya cheap. Note that the one I have is .223 - not .556.

The reason I don't like it is it's reliability - anybodies guess whether or not the "second" shot is gonna happen as planned. Pops only has metal mags of questionable origin so I have it so that I can take it out and try it with some of my mags to see if that fixes the cycling problems.

Some of the springs in this metal mags are a bit too cheap and can easily cause feed errors. Not to mention being metal they can often get a small bend or dent that also affects performance.

If he is using steel cases ammo that can also cause huge issues for feeding on AR platforms since they each have a thin cost of wax to prevent them from rusting before usage, the wax then sheers off into your receiver during the ejection phase causing nasty buildup quickly.

Magpull and other composite mag manufactures are the way to go plus always use brass (if you start reloading it will be the same as the steel crap).

AR pistols are a fun novelty, but I prefer full size short barrel versions instead.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think they're all probably novelty items. Just "fun guns". .

The ones I see em building on AR15.com are mostly guys waiting on an AOW license for SBR, that would be awesome to have but not a red tape jungle I'd want to wade through.

Pass on it.... thats all I ll say.....

Todd

Haha,

You're the guy I was eagerly waiting for a valued opinion from.

Was hoping you'd say more though,

Is it anti AR pistol generally, anti Olympic, or because of proprietary and unavailable replacement part for the OA-93 specifically?

Oh, I did just find out it is not a pre-ban, although being post ban (2007 mfg.) it has all the same features.
The best thing about being newer (in my mind) is that it has a straight gas tube instead of the pig tail gas tube that went around the barrel 3 times that I've read was subject to failure. Plus it's 15 years out from the early 90's Olympics that had a poor reputation.

If I really want a toy pistol in this genre of guns what would you recommend?

I really don't want one with the pokey outtey buffer tube.

How about a Keltec PLR-16?

I have been shooting a lot of AR-15 Pistols. Generally, I don't care for Olympic anything. I do have one Oly lower that just seems to hang on and on though. It was made a long time ago though. Here's a real AR-45 Pistol, gas operated too. Much better than 5.56 IMHO. don't cost a lot more either...

GlockDI143.jpg

45ACPARPistol.jpg

I am just not a fan of not being able to get parts for proprietary items. Not unless you have the ability to fix , fabricate or buy easily.

They aren't the best, but not the worst either.

Todd

Thanks guys. Appreciate your valued opinions.

I may look at the Rock River version since I see now that they also make a buffer tube free version as well.

Just an update on the AR pistol question.

I DID buy the weapon right after this original post, sat in my safe since then till this week when I had the opportunity to shoot it.

I ran a little over 300 rounds through it, cheap Eagle brass ammo, not cleaned during any part of the shooting session.

It ran flawlessly with Zero malfunctions so I am pretty pleased. I used some P-Mags, and two different types of steel magazines of no name origin. (at least not hat I can tell)

With the 6.5" barrel and a regular A2 style birdcage flash hider the muzzle blast is pretty ridiculous and I will be looking for a more effective flash hider for it for sure....it's definitely range toy though......at least till I get some decent sights on it...

Thanks again for all ya'lls input

I think the point is if it breaks good luck with parts to fix it.

I think the point is if it breaks good luck with parts to fix it.

Well I found out that Oly still supports the gun. Just won't be as cheap as buying "commodity" AR parts.

Not really different than most other guns, the AR and the 1911 are about the only guns I can think of that about a billion folks make cross fit parts for.

Just about every gun in my safe except AR's you'd have to go to the manufacturer for parts too

I'm willing to take that risk in order not to have that god awful ugly ass effin buffer tube sticking out the back of a "so called" pistol like most conventional platform AR pistols.

I don't see the point in an AR "pistol" with the "knot on a dogs ass" buffer tube UNLESS you going for an SBR stamp

While I do like the Stoner design rifles, I would not wish for a handgun version.
Just my personal taste on that. I can get many other handguns which fit my desires better.

Now, if we were talking about the AR-10 based rifles, maybe rechambered for the .300WSM round, then you would have my FULL attention.

While I do like the Stoner design rifles, I would not wish for a handgun version.

I get that, an AR pistol isn't exactly a practical handgun by any means.....But it makes a hell of a fun novelty and with the correct sights or laser system makes a hell of a good PDW or a long range pistol, although 5.56 isn't exactly a great PDW round either.....and a scoped revolver makes a better long range gun (although the scoped desert eagle in .44 I have surprised the hell out of me in the long range department shooting 3 MOA as easily as my revolvers)

In the end it's a fun toy...:eusa_dance:

Now, if we were talking about the AR-10 based rifles, maybe rechambered for the .300WSM round, then you would have my FULL attention.

458 SOCOM and 300 AAC Blackout have become rpoplukar conversions that can be done on the conventional AR platform, 458 SOCOM would make a pretty interesting pistol no doubt!

Back