Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm living proof that surviving a VMax as your first bike is possible. Like you, I always wanted one, and just couldn't bring myself to buy a VTwin.

Actually, I still think that if you're a mature guy and don't try to carve canyons, the Max is a mild-mannered suburban bike - if you want it to be.

Good luck with it!

That's definately reassuring. I do like carving canyons... but, in my car. I'm pretty sure that my car would whoop a Vmax ass carving the canyons. That being with me as the driver of both. I do have total respect for the p/w ratio of the Max. It seems like most of the warning is of the Vboost. In your experienced opinions, would it be a good idea to get a Tboost and switch the Vboost off while learning? Was also wondering if the bike would get better mileage with the Vboost off.
Thanks again,
Dale

It seems like most of the warning is of the Vboost. In your experienced opinions, would it be a good idea to get a Tboost and switch the Vboost off while learning? Was also wondering if the bike would get better mileage with the Vboost off.
Thanks again,
Dale

Hi Dale-

I was pretty cautious of the Vboost as well when I first bought mine. I just took it easy 'til I got the feel of what it could really do. My advice is simply this. Make your actions smooth and fluid. Until you get comfortable, this will let you enjoy the power (as you see fit) without fear of the rear tire coming out from under you. In higher speed turns, try not to rush yourself into testing out how close to the edge of the tread you can go until you get use to the wobble (if you're on a stock Max).

All in all I really like mine now. It took some getting used to the feel (I came from sport bikes) but now that I have about 10K miles in this saddle I'm happy with what it does. Swapping the stock handle bar for the drag bar is what did it for me. It put me in a much more comfortable position with regard to the wind as well as WOT runs.

Hopefully you'll come to love yours too.

All the best!

I gotta say it isn't just the V-boost you have to pay attention to, these things have some torque. Although I am only a 170 pounder so she doesn't reallty know I'm there but breaking the back tire loose at 10 MPH is pretty easy to do. I'm considering stretching it a bit, but Im not sure if I want to go that route just yet. I will certainly be modding the suspension so she has better manners in the turns. I love this thing!

You'll be fine Dale. You're going about this in the right manner. The fact that you are expressing your concerns on this forum tells me you're a cautious and smart guy who's not going to put himself in a bad situation through carelessness. It's the ones who start out trying to show the world how a v max should be ridden that run into trouble.
IMHO you'll do just fine, enjoy your new v max, that's what it is all about. :clapping:

dan

You'll be fine Dale. You're going about this in the right manner. The fact that you are expressing your concerns on this forum tells me you're a cautious and smart guy who's not going to put himself in a bad situation through carelessness. It's the ones who start out trying to show the world how a v max should be ridden that run into trouble.
IMHO you'll do just fine, enjoy your new v max, that's what it is all about. :clapping:

dan

+1

BUT! It is fun to twist the throttle isn't it! I agree your going to be fine.

Agree with the above posts re: VBoost. You don't need to disable it. Until you're really ready, just stay out of the 6k+ RPM range. With the torque the Max makes, you can ride your ass off without ever getting into VBoost range.

That's definately reassuring. I do like carving canyons... but, in my car. I'm pretty sure that my car would whoop a Vmax ass carving the canyons. That being with me as the driver of both. I do have total respect for the p/w ratio of the Max. It seems like most of the warning is of the Vboost. In your experienced opinions, would it be a good idea to get a Tboost and switch the Vboost off while learning? Was also wondering if the bike would get better mileage with the Vboost off.
Thanks again,
Dale

Hello Dale
Like everyone else said you will be fine. I think we just wanted you to take it easy at first, until you get used to riding. Feel it out for you. I don't care what kind of car you have but it most likley would not keep up to the bike.
These bikes were designed to eat muscle cars ect. The roads are so busy these day's and the bike speeds up so fast you could get in trouble real quick. Don't be scared of the bike. Get some experience before you go all out hog wild. The Vmax we have is not my first bike but the fourth I ride.
It suprises me how fast it excellerates. I am just learning this bike as well.
It is loads of fun. I just choose the right places to giver. You are the rider, the bike will do what you ask to, you have the controls. Have fun!

Grant

Hello Dale
Like everyone else said you will be fine. I think we just wanted you to take it easy at first, until you get used to riding. Feel it out for you. I don't care what kind of car you have but it most likley would not keep up to the bike.
These bikes were designed to eat muscle cars ect. The roads are so busy these day's and the bike speeds up so fast you could get in trouble real quick. Don't be scared of the bike. Get some experience before you go all out hog wild. The Vmax we have is not my first bike but the fourth I ride.
It suprises me how fast it excellerates. I am just learning this bike as well.
It is loads of fun. I just choose the right places to giver. You are the rider, the bike will do what you ask to, you have the controls. Have fun!

Grant

Sometimes she does alittle more than I ask.. Like spinning the tire! lol They are awesome machines!

Hello Dale
I don't care what kind of car you have but it most likley would not keep up to the bike.

Grant

My car, 96 neon, runs 10.10's in the 1/4 so....... j/k:biglaugh: I was refering to carving the canyons though. I know the Max, or just about any other bike for that matter would eat my ass in the straits. I beat a 250 rebel lol. But all of everyones comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and not taken lightly. I can't wait to go pick her up! :clapping: Dammit, I'm 38, but I feel like a little boy getting his first bicycle!:eek:h yeah:

Dale

My car, 96 neon, runs 10.10's in the 1/4 so....... j/k:biglaugh: I was refering to carving the canyons though. I know the Max, or just about any other bike for that matter would eat my ass in the straits. I beat a 250 rebel lol. But all of everyones comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and not taken lightly. I can't wait to go pick her up! :clapping: Dammit, I'm 38, but I feel like a little boy getting his first bicycle!:eek:h yeah:

Dale

Be sure to hook us up with some pics of the new toy. :)

Re: New VMAX Owner in VA

Hey Graham...welcome..... crazy good info here...you're in the right place.
As far as color goes, each year the Yamasaki marketing folks switched up to keep appeal and interest in the bike. You'll see variations of colors on the scoops, seats, tanks/fenders, hell even the engine and engine covers.
Mine's a 1997 with Silver tank and fenders, my scoops are two tone half black, half clear coat silver, with silver painted on the "Yamaha".
No such thing as a low end Max........
Good luck with it!
Andy
ps.... I love the all black scoops!!!

Re: New VMAX Owner in VA

Hey Graham...welcome..... crazy good info here...you're in the right place.
As far as color goes, each year the Yamasaki marketing folks switched up to keep appeal and interest in the bike. You'll see variations of colors on the scoops, seats, tanks/fenders, hell even the engine and engine covers.
Mine's a 1997 with Silver tank and fenders, my scoops are two tone half black, half clear coat silver, with silver painted on the "Yamaha".
No such thing as a low end Max........
Good luck with it!
Andy
ps.... I love the all black scoops!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome Andy! I love the clack scoops to, In fact I haven't found anything I don't like yet lol. Accept maybe the tail, I like it butI like the "sport tail" mod.

:clapping:I too am a new vmax owner. 1992 Seems to be in great shape but I never have rode a vmax before. The bike runs fast like I have heard and I love it !!
But im not sure if the vboost is working... What is the best way to know for sure that it is. I know it is 6500 or so that it comes on. Just not sure!!

Thanks for any advice.

:clapping:I too am a new vmax owner. 1992 Seems to be in great shape but I never have rode a vmax before. The bike runs fast like I have heard and I love it !!
But im not sure if the vboost is working... What is the best way to know for sure that it is. I know it is 6500 or so that it comes on. Just not sure!!

Thanks for any advice.

Check the V Boost Room, most of the way down on the second page, there's a thread called "V Boost, is it working" that should tell you what you want to know.
Congrats on the '92.

dan

Hello All.

Just joined! Got a 94 in yellow here. I've had it since the beginning of this season and absolutely love it! couldnt' be happier. this looks like a great forum!

thanks.

-garrett

Hello All.

Just joined! Got a 94 in yellow here. I've had it since the beginning of this season and absolutely love it! couldnt' be happier. this looks like a great forum!

thanks.

-garrett

Welcome Garrett, yup! great forum here, tons of usefull info.
Where in Mass. are you? I'm just over the line, south east of Albany.

dan

Hello All.

thanks.

-garrett

Good to have you. Post up some pics of the beast when you get some time. :biglaugh:

Hi all just saying hello
Guess that I should of come here and introduced my self first.

Live just north of London in the UK and have owened a 98 Canadian import since 2000.

Been off the road a month or so due to a fluffy bunny on her mobile phone parking her car into the front of my Max and not being able to source the parts I needed.

Thanks to all who have helped to get me back on the road and for the exellent technical how to's I found on this site.

Geoff

Hi all just saying hello
Guess that I should of come here and introduced my self first.

Live just north of London in the UK and have owened a 98 Canadian import since 2000.

Been off the road a month or so due to a fluffy bunny on her mobile phone parking her car into the front of my Max and not being able to source the parts I needed.

Thanks to all who have helped to get me back on the road and for the exellent technical how to's I found on this site.

Geoff

Was she cute?? :)

Glad you and your bike are doing well Brother.

I couldn,t tell for the steam comming out of my ears lol

I usualy talk to fluffy bunnies with my sharps 45/70 it's usualy a one way conversation.

Ride safe brother

Latest posts

Back