Awwwwww Farkle.......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
Took a beautiful ride SUnday in 80 degree weather ('course it has been snowing since - Welcome to Spring in Utah) and went out this morning to find a puddle of fork oil under the right hand fork.

Furthermore it appears to have saturated my BRAND NEW BRAKE PADS on that side... :bang head:

Some questions for the pros:

1. How difficult is it to change fork seals?
2. What else should I do while engaged in that process?
3. If my new pads have less than 100 miles on them, can I change just the right side, or should I do both?

If it wasn't snowing, I be really bummed out... Guess I have some time to work on the bike while waiting for the thaw...

SIGH....

DS

Took a beautiful ride SUnday in 80 degree weather ('course it has been snowing since - Welcome to Spring in Utah) and went out this morning to find a puddle of fork oil under the right hand fork.

Furthermore it appears to have saturated my BRAND NEW BRAKE PADS on that side... :bang head:

Some questions for the pros:

1. How difficult is it to change fork seals?
2. What else should I do while engaged in that process?
3. If my new pads have less than 100 miles on them, can I change just the right side, or should I do both?

If it wasn't snowing, I be really bummed out... Guess I have some time to work on the bike while waiting for the thaw...

SIGH....

DS

1. not that difficult, I think there is a sticky on how to do it here.

2. Toss in some progressives

3. You can, but its best to do both to keep things uniform.

I know how the weather goes, It was nice, then snow up here. then chilly, then more snow.

Looking for the sticky now... :)

In addition, the oil that leaked out is black as night... I am taking for granted I will need new fork oil. Suggestions?

The brake pads don't care if one set is worn and the other new. hydralic pressure will remain constant and even.

I have also had good luck cleaning the oils oil with brake clean but it is always best to replace them too.

Sean

I have also had good luck cleaning the oils oil with brake clean but it is always best to replace them too.

Sean

I was gonna suggest brake clean or electra-clean; removing them and soaking them; might have to put a lid on a container to keep it from evaporating to quicly.

Can't hurt to try considering the price of pads:confused2:

Rusty

I'll pull the pads tonight and evaluate... Maybe I'll be REALLY lucky and the contact surface will have escaped contamination...

...Chya, and monkeys might fly outta my butt. :rofl_200:

Thanks for all the feedback! Forks are comin' off Sunday, Progressives have been ordered... :eusa_dance:

I'll pull the pads tonight and evaluate... Maybe I'll be REALLY lucky and the contact surface will have escaped contamination...

...Chya, and monkeys might fly outta my butt. :rofl_200:

Thanks for all the feedback! Forks are comin' off Sunday, Progressives have been ordered... :eusa_dance:

While your it and if money is available - put a set of Racetech cartridge emulators - than you will have a very nice set up, I have done it and no regrets.

Mike

Back