Best AGM Batteries OR ? For Various Bikes.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
The battery in my 89 Vmax is an Odyssey PC-680 that was bought in 03/2007. It's just now beginning to fail (The Bike Has A Good 4 Pole Starter). I'd consider that a great service life for a battery BTW. I think they have cheapened their manufacturing requirements though?

I also have an 05 Sportster that has a Factory Replacement battery that's lasted about 4 years and is now getting weak. Pretty standard for Harley Crap. Current reviews on Harley Batteries Suck.

I know that this has been discussed before but Batteries are changing all the time. I also realize that many manufacturers are building in 4th world countries. My question is what service life are you getting with your sealed batteries. Who still makes a very good battery and what dealers have a good price and the sales service to match?

Thanx, Dave

The UB12180 (283 CCA - 18 Ah) I purchased from Apex Battery lasted 9 years.
And I just recently bought a stronger APX12220 (420 CCA - 22 Ah, made by UPG who also made my UB12180).
http://www.apexbattery.com/apex-battery-apx12220-12-volt-22-ah-battery.html
I'm hoping it will last as long as my UB122180 did but for the price, it is well worth it even it if only lasts 4-5 years.

As for customer service, I have heard nothing but good about Apex.
Someone on Facebook said they got a dead APX12220 battery from Apex so they called them and a new one was sent out that day.

The 2 OEM YUASA batteries had had before the UB12180 each only lasted for 2-1/2 years or so each and cost twice as much.

Cool, Guys.. I'll check them out. Swapped my 94's Odyssey after cleaning terminals and connectors to the 89 and it started right up. Definitely need to put a battery in the 94.
The price is so cheap it's Scary:confused2::ummm::rofl_200:

Thanks Kyle, I see that in the picture now. ??????????????
Hard enough to get the stock terminals lined up but anything's possible.

Dave

The earth x batteries we sell are good but much more pricey then the other brands.

Thanks Kyle, I see that in the picture now. ??????????????
Hard enough to get the stock terminals lined up but anything's possible.

Dave
You just have to bend the cable ends.

Attachments

• Negative-connection-1.jpg
    Negative-connection-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Positive-connection-2.jpg
    Positive-connection-2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 57
The Pictures are very helpful DMAN999, Thank you for the posting.

Dave

The Pictures are very helpful DMAN999, Thank you for the posting.

Dave
You're welcome Dave.
I bought that UB12180 years ago to replace the 2 OEM YUASA's I had before that.
I read this:
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/battery.htm
And the UB12180 was a higher CCA battery that was made as a replacement for the Panasonic LCX1220P recommended by Vmax outlaw.
Honestly installation was a breeze, I just bent the cable ends with a pair of pliers and it connected up easily.
I absolutely do Not regret that purchase as it lasted 9 years vs. the 2-1/2 life span of the 2 OEM YUASA batteries I bought previously.

Also if you search this site for UB12220 or APX12220 you will find a lot of guys have bought this newer/stronger version and are completely happy with it so far.
Personally I'm hoping my new APX12220 will last as long as my UB12180 did.

Note: Be sure to put a rag or something on the frame in front of the battery terminals before using a box end wrench to attach the + and - cables. to prevent shocking yourself. I learned that lesson the hard way. ;)

Last edited:
I quit using standard lead acid batteries a long time ago. The service life was never there. I currently have 11 no maintenance batteries in vehicles. Just sold a boat with a sealed cell that was 12 years old. Still held 12.34 volts for months. I'm sold on what your saying. The battery prices you've guided me to are ridiculously low. Thanks again.

I bought my Pc 680 in 2012 and its starting to die I am going to look at Deka batteries to see if they have one that fits I like the price an the cranking amps.

I'm up to 4 years on the Odyssey. No complaints.
The original died in 2. I bought a Napa lead acid and it only lasted 1 year.

I thought Odyssey recently cheapened their manufacturing process........
Mine was old (07) and must have been made on a Wednesday.

Back