Better Horn

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying the Denali install on the gen2 and looking at those pics here. Can you guys show how you got the bracket on and things to fit?

Also is this bracket mounted to the stock bracket in one of the photos?

Tryed to get a useful picture. Maybe this will help. It's a tight fit but never rubbed. Make sure to use lock tight.

Attachments

• 20200411_131208.jpg
    20200411_131208.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200411_131132.jpg
    20200411_131132.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200411_131119.jpg
    20200411_131119.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the pics, I see the bracket going into that lower engine bolt, that will help position it better

This is how I had mine but I don't like it

Attachments

• 20200411_151356.jpg
    20200411_151356.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 64
The horn connector is under left scoop. You can use the original wiring if you separate the power there from the connector and put a stronger relay between. The factory relay isn't able to carry the load needed. It's a 4 pin connector. Here is a pic of the relay placement. Wish I took better pics but this is all I have. The other relay you see is for my phone charger. It was staying on, so I had to add a relay. Now it's only on when the key is on.

Attachments

• 20200412_084221.jpg
    20200412_084221.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks! I have the relay with connectors ready to make it easier, with a 30 amp fuse, way too loud lol

The horn connector is under left scoop. You can use the original wiring if you separate the power there from the connector and put a stronger relay between. The factory relay isn't able to carry the load needed. It's a 4 pin connector. Here is a pic of the relay placement. Wish I took better pics but this is all I have. The other relay you see is for my phone charger. It was staying on, so I had to add a relay. Now it's only on when the key is on.

I went away from the Relays, all my bikes were equipped with relays for the add ons.
Then I found the PDM60, a programmable Power Distribution Module.

Had it in my BMW.
You can set always on outputs, triggered outputs, limit the current etc.
If you have a short circuit somewhere, the device will cut the power to this line, so you don't even need fuses.
You can set delays after switching the bike off.
Startup Delay is also possible.

You only need to connect it to the battery, ground and i.e. running light to trigger (ignition is on).

Saves a lot of wires and trouble ... and ... space.

In case of the horn, you can use the ground trigger.

http://pdm60.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PDM60-General-Installation-and-Operation-Manual-2016.pdf

I believe there is a successor, not sure if already available

Found the new one. Adds bluetooth to program from your phone.

PDM60 New Amplink PDM - PDM60 http://pdm60.com/news/new-amplink-pdm/

Yes, found it yesterday as well. Will call some distributors here in Phoenix, if they have it in Stock, otherwise will order it.
I have some things I want to complete coming weekend.

When it comes to the Horn, did you ever consider the Stebel Horns. They are loud.

That's a nice gadget, what other output did you use it for besides the horn?

That's a nice gadget, what other output did you use it for besides the horn?

1. Heated Seat (Yes, Arizona and heated Seat... :D )
2. GPS (Garmin)
3. Additional High Beam (only place where I had an additional relay)
4. Tank Bag (SW Motech, has a Power Socket inside, Quick Connect)
5. Power Commander
The previous owner tapped for the Power Commander Power Supply the wire to the Running Lights. So it is described in the manual. BUT he did not consider the Running Lights / Brake Light is only one wire, PWM signal and drops to about 4 Volts when no Brake signal applied. :D
I developed a Brakelight Flasher for the PWM Signal (Arduino based), so was using the 12V here as well
6. Extra Power Connector in case I was using the mobile in a mount, Batter Tender Connector

I had it with relays etc in the past ... was sort of pain in the ass

Battery is at the top of the Bike, close to the tank, Power Commander and PDM under the Passengers Seat, so I had to route the wires a bit across the bike, but I had an additional fuse in the wire to the PDM.

Unfortunaly I did not document what I did, so I knew about it, but when I decided to sell the BMW (which did not happen yet), instead of explaining to the new owner, I reverted everything back to stock.

I did mine using an L bracket that was offered with the horn. It installed very tight and even though you can't see in the pics it doesn't touch anything. There is a bolt I removed under the bike. Make sure to use blue lock tight when you put it back. I installed a relay under the seat to utilize the original wiring. I could not find a way to cleanly run new wires. The original horn relay can not handle the amps but if you go to where that hooks up and add a 30 amp relay in between the original wires can handle the load fine.

That's the best instal I've seen so far! Nicely tucked in not sticking out like a snow plough and angled so crap doesn't fly right in. If I read your post right, you were able to plug it in directly to the original cable and simply swapped the relay for the Denali one? Also, did you use their universal angled bracket? Thanks for any insight, I can't wait to ditch the factory clown horn.

Last edited:
I did use their L bracket. I didn't remove their relay. Just tapped in after it. In hind sight, I think that's a great idea.

Yeh great location. I actually couldn't get that bolt off under the engine to use the L bracket. Its been torqued there since 2014 lol.

Great gadget for those attachments, im not that electric savvy! Very nice

I did use their L bracket. I didn't remove their relay. Just tapped in after it. In hind sight, I think that's a great idea.
I called Twisted Throttle, who's a distributor for Denali, they told me I have to use their wire loom hooked up to the battery and their 30 amp relay for optimal use. He didn't seem sure if I could simply replace the stock horn with the Denali Soundbomb Airhorn and the relay. He thinks the original wire loom isn't stable enough for the increased power demand.

The best spot for the Denali horn IMO is on the right side under the front of the engine behind and below the lower radiator. I've seen several installation like that......I've been frantically searching for photos.

It is out of sight there and effective. I'll post some photos if I can find them (most lost when the StarVmax site went down).

DSCN0375.jpg DSCN0376.jpg DSCN0377.jpg DSCN0378.jpg DSCN0379.jpg Itgoes is right the spot he described is the perfect place for that big Denali horn. I was going install mine there too but it does take some time to fab a bracket and run the wires away from engine heat.Also would make it easier if bike was up on a lift to see what you were doing. The reason i found this spot was i personally did not like the factory horn location for this Denali horn to me it just stuck out too much for my liking i am OCD so please people who have installed this horn in the factory location nothing against your installs.
In the end i did not even install the Denali horn under bike. I bought a Mini Banshee horn which is 126db and has a deeper tone than the factory one. It sounds good and is louder plus its lighter than the factory set up and does not stick out as much.
I just weighed the stock horn ( .60 pounds) and Denali horn ( 1.54 pounds )
Here is pictures of the mini Banshee horn on my 2019

Sorry for the way my post turned out first time posting pictures at least you have a good view of set up

The best spot for the Denali horn IMO is on the right side under the front of the engine behind and below the lower radiator. I've seen several installation like that......I've been frantically searching for photos.

It is out of sight there and effective. I'll post some photos if I can find them (most lost when the StarVmax site went down).
That's exactly where I'm gonna position it.

I used the REVO Stereo Horn Kit for a Yamaha Vmax Gen 2. They make a kit specifically for this bike. I installed it on my bike and like it. Horns mount on each side where the stock horn mounts. Comes with 2 yamaha horns, brackets, bolts and wiring harness. It's a 10 minutes install. Lot better than stock. http://www.revo-cycles.com/shop/revo-yamaha-v-max-stereo-horn/

Back