Bicyclist passes guys on their bikes....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I saw that on the forum 'Newsfeed' links. That guy has skill, talent, and muscle. Anyone who says (like the one in the 'Newsfeed' comments), "ah, so-what, he's just going downhill," obviously has never himself done what that fellow did.

I'm no Olympic bike racer, no Giro d'Italia or Tour de France competitor, but I do own a couple of high-end bikes, a Klein offroad bike and a Litespeed road bike. I'll tell you, that riding at over 30 mph makes me back-off after that point, just because I want to live to ride another day. Now, FL doesn't have the mile-long downhills like someplace mountainous, but I still wouldn't want to run as-hard as that guy was. Your contact patch on a road bike is comparable to one side of your thumb. Riding 60 mph can put you into a life-threatening situation very quickly. Remember, it's not falling off that hurts, it's what you hit once you do. I've scrapped out a couple quality helmets riding a bicycle, once on the road and once offroad. If I didn't have them, who-knows what my outcome would have been?

When I watch the bicycle competitions, and see someone loses the battle with Inertia and Traction, and go cartwheeling into the ground, the places on my body where I've made contact myself, and had to wait weeks for their healing to occur, start to itch, and I remember what it was like for me to lose that battle.

No, that bicyclist has serious talent, and skills, and I'm happy to watch without wanting to duplicate his speeds.

I have a pic of a bicyclist riding behind a midget automobile racer, in a still space caused by a wind break attached to the midget racecar, with the racer turning a front sprocket that looks to be the diameter of a four-person pizza. He went over 100 mph. The Schwinn Paramount line is their premier racing series, and they are much sought-after by collectors. Note that this Brave Soul tried this before World War II!

aaa5.jpg

And for those of you who like vintage open-wheeled dirt racers, when a trip out of the racecourse during competition was often fatal, here's a shot of these guys in the heat of competition.

aa1.jpg

Another fast guy:
ClickHandler.ashx

No vehicle to break the wind, just a human-powered bicycle:
ClickHandler.ashx

An interesting site for attesting to human endurance and speed: http://ihpva.org/home/

What does this apparatus remind you of? http://ihpva.org/home/?view=plink&id=24

Back