Bike died along the road....Not sure where to start!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngzrxer

Reaction score
Have a 90' Vmax I just bought (last week :damn angry: ) and went on my first real ride with some friends...Bike ran ok, then began running on and off 3 cylinders....I figured I would take it easy and limp it back home, figuring it was something with the jetting, as this thing runs extremely rich..Before I could get home it just flat died...Ran on 2 cylinders momentarily and before I could even begin to get to the side of the road it completely shut down

Got it home, tried cranking..Battery dead.....I did notice a few times I tried starting it the starter (i think) made a god awful noise, which I read is normal when there isn't enough voltage to crank it over....So I left my battery on the charger over night...It will crank for all of about 15 seconds before it seems to need a recharge..Although putting my volt meter on the battery after cranking it still reads 12.6 volts. I also noticed fuel pouring out of one of the carbs, and I do not think this is a recent thing as when it was dead roadside it reeked of fuel..I couldnt look to see where as it was dark, but I have to assume it is the same as now..it appears to be a vent on the carb..Here is a pic
DSC00872.jpg

So now I am clueless...Bike acting like a dead battery with plenty of voltage, and leaking fuel.....Man I wish I would have waited and found a new example to buy :damn angry::damn angry:

And suggestions? :( :bang head:
________
ipod games

Last edited:
Your battery is dead, shot, kaput, and any other adjective you can think of for it is time to replace. I would be willing to bet that the voltage would be very low if you were to put a meter across it while cranking the bike. Just because it stabilizes at over 12V when static is not indicative of it being good. The best way to test it is under load. Replace the battery and crank away.

As for the fuel, you have a stuck float it sounds like to me causing it to overflow out of the bowl vent line.

Your battery is dead, shot, kaput, and any other adjective you can think of for it is time to replace. I would be willing to bet that the voltage would be very low if you were to put a meter across it while cranking the bike. Just because it stabilizes at over 12V when static is not indicative of it being good. The best way to test it is under load. Replace the battery and crank away.

As for the fuel, you have a stuck float it sounds like to me causing it to overflow out of the bowl vent line.

I think you nailed it...Less tham 8 volts when cranking. So I decided to jump it from my car (not running)...Fired up just fine :punk:

Now to tear into the carbs :bang head::damn angry:
________
Toyota Corolla E90

Last edited:
before you tear into the carbs, try tapping on the carb with a rubber mallet
to see if you can free the stuck float while it`s running and gas is going through it and maybe try some "SEA FOAM" in the tank (that stuff works great for freeing up sticky floats and cleaning out your fuel system, (usually within a few minutes) We all use it and, it`s about $9.00 a can at the auto parts.
<<Dave>>:punk:

before you tear into the carbs, try tapping on the carb with a rubber mallet
to see if you can free the stuck float while it`s running and gas is going through it and maybe try some "SEA FOAM" in the tank (that stuff works great for freeing up sticky floats and cleaning out your fuel system, (usually within a few minutes) We all use it and, it`s about $9.00 a can at the auto parts.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Tried the seafoam to no avail..Will try tapping it lightly and see, lot easier than tearing the carb down....:biglaugh:
________
buy vapormatic

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back