Bike has been sitting, need help with carb problem.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KY_BOB

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum but I haven't found anyone describing the problem that I have.

A little back ground, I just bought the 85 Max which has a 92 engine on it. The previous owner said that it ran fine when he parked it about a year and a half ago. He did get it out once last year for a short ride and said, that other than the battery, it was OK then but the gas is now a year and a half old. When I trailered it home, I stopped and filled it up with fresh gas but it only held 2 gallons so it's about half and half new gas/old gas.

I've done an oil, gear oil, spark plug, and battery change, plus fixed a couple of minor issues. It now starts great, idles decent, and pulls like a sum'bitch at WOT.

The problem is that it returns to idle very slowly when revved. It even does the same thing when riding it, if I ease on the gas and then let up, it keeps pulling. I have to use the brakes to hold it back. If I pull in the clutch, it will maintain the rpm for several seconds before easing slowly back to idle speed.

Is is something stopped up in the carbs? Just old gas? A mechanical problem such as cracked rubber parts from sitting?

I added 3 ounces of Seafoam to the fuel last night. Think that will help?

I'm an OK shadetree mechanic when it comes to cars or Harleys but this is a different beast to me.

I took it out this afternoon and wanted to burn enough gas through it that I could add a couple more gallons of gas and a couple more ounces of Seafoam to it but I got rained on a couple of miles from the house and returned.:bang head:

TIA for any help.

I've been reading the forum but I haven't found anyone describing the problem that I have.

A little back ground, I just bought the 85 Max which has a 92 engine on it. The previous owner said that it ran fine when he parked it about a year and a half ago. He did get it out once last year for a short ride and said, that other than the battery, it was OK then but the gas is now a year and a half old. When I trailered it home, I stopped and filled it up with fresh gas but it only held 2 gallons so it's about half and half new gas/old gas.

I've done an oil, gear oil, spark plug, and battery change, plus fixed a couple of minor issues. It now starts great, idles decent, and pulls like a sum'bitch at WOT.

The problem is that it returns to idle very slowly when revved. It even does the same thing when riding it, if I ease on the gas and then let up, it keeps pulling. I have to use the brakes to hold it back. If I pull in the clutch, it will maintain the rpm for several seconds before easing slowly back to idle speed.

Is is something stopped up in the carbs? Just old gas? A mechanical problem such as cracked rubber parts from sitting?

I added 3 ounces of Seafoam to the fuel last night. Think that will help?

I'm an OK shadetree mechanic when it comes to cars or Harleys but this is a different beast to me.

I took it out this afternoon and wanted to burn enough gas through it that I could add a couple more gallons of gas and a couple more ounces of Seafoam to it but I got rained on a couple of miles from the house and returned.:bang head:

TIA for any help.

Your slides are gummed up I bet. Take them out and clean them up real well with carb cleaner and reinstall. They just need a good 'ol cleaning. Seafoam is good but that may be beyond its healing powers.

Chris

Believe it or not I use toothpaste to clean the slides. Its a very fine polisher. I rinse the toothpaste off with WD-40 and also clean the part of the carb where the slide touches with just WD-40 and a clean rag and apply pressure, This should allow your slides to move smoothly, Once your done pull all 4 slides back and release em at the same time they should all be very close in the time it takes.
BECAREFUL with the rubber boot around the slide they may be fragile also make sure known are tore and your careful reinserting the slides, they do have a nipple on the rubber boots for orentation.

Thanks for the advise. I'll start searching the threads for instructions on this.

I know this is a newbie question but can this be done with the carbs in place or are you guys talking about removing them for cleaning?

I really hate asking these stupid questions. I've installed a supercharger, cam, valve springs, nitrous, headers, ect, ect. to the Avalanche and even do my own computer tuning with my laptop but I'm as confused as a baby in a titty bar when it comes to this thing.

Is there a particular thread that gives good step by step instructions on what I need to do?

Did you ever replace the rubber boots? If the idle is hanging sounds like you have an air leak or are running pretty lean.

Did you ever replace the rubber boots? If the idle is hanging sounds like you have an air leak or are running pretty lean.

No, and if a car or truck were acting that way, I would suspect a vacuum leak. That thought had crossed my mind.

Hey Bob small world, I just stumbled across this site and found your post.

Chris:eusa_dance:

Thanks for the advise. I'll start searching the threads for instructions on this.

I know this is a newbie question but can this be done with the carbs in place or are you guys talking about removing them for cleaning?

Hey Bob
I dont know what part of KY your in I am 30 mins from Bowling Green KY located about 15 miles KY - TN line
If your in an hour I can cruise up to help but if your farther you may want to download a VMAX manual which will give you all the instructions that you need since you are mechanical incline
Goto VMAXOUTLAW COM and you can download the svc manual for free

Hey Bob small world, I just stumbled across this site and found your post.

Chris:eusa_dance:

I don't recognize you under this screen name. Do I know you by another name? I'm thinking that I might if your from OH and sometimes go by CDW.

Hey Bob
I dont know what part of KY your in I am 30 mins from Bowling Green KY located about 15 miles KY - TN line
If your in an hour I can cruise up to help but if your farther you may want to download a VMAX manual which will give you all the instructions that you need since you are mechanical incline
Goto VMAXOUTLAW COM and you can download the svc manual for free

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to get online for a couple of day to read it.

I'm in very small town, Dawson Springs KY. It's a little over an hour west of Bowling Green, about half way between Hopkinsville KY and Madisonville KY. If your ever in my area, I would be glad to meet up with you to chat or tinker with bikes.

I'll check out that site and manual. Thanks.

Back