Bike ideas for friend

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read the horror stories on the Hyosung engines and seen the pics of them. They aren't the same lump of metal.

I don't have documented proof but just look at them...

SV all day long for me.

Theirs a reason why they win constantly when put up against other bikes.

Their easy to ride, cheap to maintain and go like stink for what they are.

Chris

What's the horror stories you've heard? We've been trying to find an sv1000 motor to put in the 650 cruiser frame, but finding them hard to come by.

TL1000 motors are virtually the same (on the outside) and will accept a cable style clutch.

I'll sell you my motor for $5000.00 oh and it'll come free with a bike.

A guy on the SV portal has one. Here's his take...

We (my brother and I) have a Hyosung GT650R too and know quite a few other owners.

I totally believe the guy and I can confirm some of the items in his long list of failures:

• Clutch cable snapped at about 1500km. The importer wouldn't replace it under warranty as it is a maintenance item. Sure, it is, but in 1500km?!
  • Brakes were bad to begin with, but deteriorated fast. We move our Hyo on the track mostly, so I guess heat destroyed the seals or softened the caliper alloy. We had an adapter made and use GSX-R 6-pot calipers now.
  • Overall build/assembly quality is way low. A lot of bolts had been forced in cross-threaded, most of the bolts are made of melted cheese, plastics are brittle and crack easily, etc...
We had no engine problems (yet), but we changed the jetting first thing and blocked off the IAS (~ PAIR). Maybe that prevented the problem, maybe it just slowed it down...

Since we got the Hyo as a 'track toy' for my brother (no racing) and a 'wrenching project' for me, we're not that bothered by all the gremlins, but if someone got it as their first or only bike, I can understand their frustration.

D.

2006 Cycle World test

Cycle World just picked the SV650 as the Best Bang for Buck city bike!

Pitted against:
FZ6
CB599
Hyosung GT650S
Ninja 650
Monster 695

Brakes were bad to begin with, but deteriorated fast. We move our Hyo on the track mostly, so I guess heat destroyed the seals or softened the caliper alloy. We had an adapter made and use GSX-R 6-pot calipers now.
  • Overall build/assembly quality is way low. A lot of bolts had been forced in cross-threaded, most of the bolts are made of melted cheese, plastics are brittle and crack easily, etc...
We had no engine problems (yet), but we changed the jetting first thing and blocked off the IAS (~ PAIR). Maybe that prevented the problem, maybe it just slowed it down...

The brakes are definately crap right out of the box. My buddy also made the same changes minus the brakes. He has the united motors version which already had 6 pot calipers, I think he just got better pads. Haven't seen of the bolt problems. Don't know if that has to do with hyosung versus united motors. They are practically the same bike, the only difference I've heard is the united motors is assembled in the states.

Back