Bike ideas for friend

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachoCamachoZ

Reaction score
Looking for ideas. It would be his first bike but he's lookin for something midrange. I thought maybe a Speed Triple or SV650. Other ideas? Anybody know how the speed triple rides normally? High end potential? I know it's a bike my dad has always envied but otherwise I don't know much other than they're 1050's.

I must admit I have a soft spot for the Speed Triple......

It might be a bit much for a beginner bike.....

If the newbie is smart enough not to get too deep too fast it might be OK:confused2:

a great mid-range for a beginner would be a Kawasaki 454 LTD, little cruiser with half a Ninja engine, good fun.

another great choice if he/she's tall would be a KLR650, or Suzuki V-Strom 650 - great thumpers and still good for about 100 mph

Choice of a new bike for a first time rider is as much about choosing a bike that matches (lack of) skills to performance as well as matching TEMPERAMENT to performance.

Street triple or the SV are great if the newbie has the temperament for the performance otherwise you are going to have a one dead newbie in short order.

i'd imagine the speed triple would be a bit much. i've heard the sv650 is just a great all around bike for everyone. they seem to retain their value pretty good and can be had relatively cheap as well.

My brother has a 2004 royal blue metallic SV650S with (not sure) 3500 miles on it for sale for $3500 bucks. It's UBER clean and adult ridden. Never beat on or stunted.

I would HIGHLY recommend it. I have a buddy that has a 1050 Speed Triple and has had some issues with it.

It's using 1qt of oil every 1000 miles right now and it's 2 months away from warranty expiration so he's trying to get it fixed but Triumph is dragging their heals a bit.

I have an SV1000S and that too is a great bike and they have a great forum which I am admin on. www.SV-portal.com

Either of the two SV's you can't go wrong with IMO.

Like everything they have there issues but they're small.

One thing to keep in mind too is that the SV's are classified as sport touring bikes so insurance is cheap. The ST is not as cheap to insure.

I think my SV is 195 a year for full coverage.

Chris

along the same lines as that, maybe try the honda hornet? its the kind of 600 version of the 919. they're neat looking plus honda engines are pretty freaking reliable

You might look into hyosung/united motors, they are more than reasonably priced brand new. I've been told the 650 motor is the same as used in the SV 650. My buddy has the cruiser version but the "sportbike" model uses the same motor.

It's not true! The SV motor is a much better lump of metal than the Hyosung. The Hyo is based on the SV though.

The inlines are nice and smooth but if your buddy wants awesome street manners and a great sound, buy the SV. My bro's has an M4 and it sounds great!

You might look into hyosung/united motors, they are more than reasonably priced brand new. I've been told the 650 motor is the same as used in the SV 650. My buddy has the cruiser version but the "sportbike" model uses the same motor.

good call.. just read a write up not too long ago about how it was indeed the same engine as they used to make the sv650 engine for suzuki then branched off and made their own bikes as well. guy gave it pretty damn good reviews if i remember correctly.

Depends on his skills and how long he wants to own the starter bike. If he could find a radian in good shape they were loads of fun, but it is old and might need work. Of the newer ones the sv is a good choice, fz6, yzf600... They are sporty bikes. For cruisers the ltd is a choice or the suzuki thumper cruiser or maybe the small yamaha cruisers.

ask ur buddy first. i'd say. what LOOK does he like? naked?sport?cruiser? goto a used bike place and make him sit on all of them.. then that should narrow it down to at least a brand or a type or both!

or if all else fails, get him a hayabusa.

It's not true! The SV motor is a much better lump of metal than the Hyosung. The Hyo is based on the SV though.

No offense, but can you prove that? I'd like to know the differences just for my own knowledge. Like I said no offense you would know better than me.

With that said the hyo/um are surprisingly solid bikes. Another of my buddies has the 250 sportbike, and its not too shabby for the size.

I've been riding since I was 4 so I don't remember learning to ride, but to me low saddle height would be my main concern for someone with no riding background. Even small sport bikes can eat you up real quick once you bobble it.

if he likes naked bike look, suzuki has a new Gladius & kaw. has a new ER-6N. Both in the 650 range & pretty kool looking. I like them anyways

If he goes for the LTD, get the 500 LTD, instead of the 454. The newer 500's are nice, and easier to get parts and accessories for.

Plus the few 454's I have been around had bad electrical problems and spent more time in the shop than on the road.

No offense, but can you prove that? I'd like to know the differences just for my own knowledge. Like I said no offense you would know better than me.

With that said the hyo/um are surprisingly solid bikes. Another of my buddies has the 250 sportbike, and its not too shabby for the size.

I've read the horror stories on the Hyosung engines and seen the pics of them. They aren't the same lump of metal.

I don't have documented proof but just look at them...

SV all day long for me.

Theirs a reason why they win constantly when put up against other bikes.

Their easy to ride, cheap to maintain and go like stink for what they are.

Chris

my 1st bike was a 1970 honda 350....if I dumped it or trashed it....no biggie!
150.00....nice starter bike for someone who hadnt ever ridden.
now 25 yrs later.... wish I still had it for my g/f to learn on.

Latest posts

Back