Bike leaves me stranded, No spark? will not start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

So so far the side stand switch has checked out,
I'm getting 12 volts to the ignitor,
I'm getting 12 volts to each coil.

I rechecked the pickup coil wires again today.
https://sturdybuiltonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/motorcycle011.JPG

I know this is a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I'm testing the right side of the plug.

If I test this side of the plug I get 25 ohms:
https://sturdybuiltonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/motorcycle014.JPG

If I test this side of the plug I get infinite risistance, the meter does not even move:
https://sturdybuiltonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/motorcycle012.JPG

what do you guys think?

Any ideas anyone?

I'd really like to make some progress and get this thing back running again!

You need to measure the resistance of the p/u coil side...not the harness. You know it's the p/u coil side if you follow the wires down the left side of frame and goes behind middle gear cover. Harness side goes to the right over the battery and then frontward along frame towards the ignitor. The p/u coil must be warm to get an accurate test. Manual says must be 68*F minimum. Resistance should be 81-121 Ohms.

Do you have a test light? I would put the probe to where the orange wire goes into the ignitor and then the grounding lead to the black wire. Now, turn the bike over and see if the light illuminates. A voltmeter would work too. Check both the orange and black wires going into the ignitor. If the ignitor is getting a signal then check the ignitor's output to the coils by measuring voltage of either the gray, white, orange or yellow wires going to the ignition coils while turning the bike over. I would expect the voltage to go from 12 to 0 back to 12, etc. You see, when it's time for the coils to fire the ignitor interrupts the ground of the colored wires. Voltage drops and induced in coils and plugs fire.

Come to think of it I would test your diode assembly too. Take a look at the picture. I marked the diode assembly along with its connector with green dots. There are three diodes to test. Test yellow to sky blue, green to blue/white and white to white/green. You should get continuity one direction but not if you swap the leads to measure the other way. I doubt this is the problem since these rarely go bad. Plus, I don't think the bike would even turn over.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• moto (640 x 480).jpg
    moto (640 x 480).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 33
Sounds good.

When I test the pickup coil side I get infinite resistance. The meter does not even move. I live in Florida so its about 90 degrees at 8am in the morning this time of year :biglaugh:

That sounds like my problem, but before I go and buy a new one i'll check for 12 volts when cranking the bike and the diodes.

Again, I REALLY appreciate the help!

The diode checks out fine.

When checking voltage on the orange wire going into the ignitor, it is a constant 12 volts when the bike is on, or when the bike is cranking. It never changes, it is always 12 volts.

When checking voltage to the coils on the colored wires it is a constant 12 volts when the bike is on, or when the bike is cranking. It never drops.

This all seems to point to the pickup coil to me. What do you guys think?

If so, how do i go about remvoing it? and where do you recommed buying a new one? (just the local dealer, or is there a place on line that gives discounts?)

Thanks again,

When cranking did you check voltage of orange and black wires going into ignitor?

When you determine that 12 volts are not going to the ignitor from the p/u coil order a new one from here:
http://www.mondakmotorsports.com/

It's also listed under VMF Links. Ask for Gary McCoy and mention you're with the vmaxforum to get a discount.

To remove the p/u coil you need to remove the middle gear cover and stator cover. The coil wires go through a grommet between the two covers. Just follow them to the coils. You'll need the two cover gaskets too. Loosen any wire clamps on the way.

With the positive side of the Multimeter pluged into the orange wire on the ignitor, and the negative side of the Multimeter grounded on the negative side of the battery, there is a constant 12 volts with the bike on. There is also a constant 12 volts while cranking the bike.

--------------

With the positive side of the multimeter pluged into the black wire on the ignitor, and the negative side of the multiemeter grouned to the negative side of the battery there is NO voltage when the bike is on. There is also NO voltage while cranking the bike.

Hopefully that clarifies a bit, sorry about that!

Does that still sound like a bad pickup coil?

Also,

I tried to measure voltage right off the pickup coil (just past the connector under the seat) With the multimeter grounded to the negative side of the battery and the postive side of the multimeter probed to the orange wire there is never any voltage while cranking or other wise.

The same situation, but with the positive side of the multimeter probed into the black wire results in a constant 12 volts while cranking.

Which is opposite of what I was reading up at the ignitor, but I tripled check everything, so I know that is what was happening.

?

J, are you sure you're measuring the right wire? There are two orange wires. One from p/u coil to ignitor and another from ignitor to primary coil. If you are measuring correct wire it looks like p/u coil is indeed the culprit....especially since it failed the resistance check.

Im testing orange and black wires that goes to the connector that is in the right of these photos. One of them is a little blurry, and the other picture the flash makes some of the wires look the wrong color, but I think you get the idea.

Is that the correct connector or should I be testing the wires that are in the connector on the left?

Attachments

• motorcycle 004.jpg
    motorcycle 004.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 24
  • motorcycle 008.jpg
    motorcycle 008.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 20
Try the other connector. Wire colors on right side are all ignition coil colors (orange, yellow, white, gray).

Testing for voltage on the orange and black wires on the other connector (left connector) results in NO voltage at all while cranking on either wire.

I'll order up the pickup coil on Monday.

I really appreciate you guiding me through all this. This is my first bike and the biggest repair I've done yet besides changing the oil and replacing the front tire!

-Jordon

Update:

After replacing the pickup coil it fired up on the first crank!

Thanks again everyone!

Back