Bike leaves me stranded, No spark? will not start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordonN

Reaction score
Today I decide to take the bike out for a ride. I start it up and drive out of my apartment complex, everything is just fine so far. As I pull out on to the main road I accelerate through 1st gear, and as I shift into 2nd the bike all of a sudden just dies.

All the lights work and the starter works, but the bike will not fire. It just cranks and cranks but will not fire up. Upon further investigation the bike is not getting any spark. I am not getting spark on any of the plugs.

From the way the bike just died all of a sudden I figured a fuse must have blown, but I checked all the fuses and they are good. I also had time to check the side stand switch before it got dark and it was fine.

Whats next? I am new to motorcycles but have more than enough know how, I just dont know where to start? What other type of switches or relays should I check next?

I appreciate all the help I can get!!

Thanks in advance!
-Jt

btw, it is a 2003 with only 8,000 miles on it. I just bought it about 2 months ago.

Jordan, try starting it with the side stand up, bike in gear and clutch pulled in. If that doesn't work test your pick up coil resistance. You should see a 2-pin connector near the battery on the left side. Might be behind left fuel tank side cover. Look for an orange and black wire. Should read 110 Ohms or so. If that's in spec make sure you have 12 volts going into the CDI via the red/black wire.

It only has about 25 ohms?

And what is the CDI?

what about the sidestand relay? is there any way to check that or bypass it?

This thing is driving me nuts...

WHAT ABOUT THE KILL SWITCH NEXT TO THE THROTTLE ? ROCK THAT BACK & FORTH 20 TIMES TO SEE IF THATS GOT A BAD CONNECTION . :confused2:

The CDI is your ignition. It's what fires your coils to fire the plugs.

25 Ohms seems pretty low?

Your bike doesn't have a sidestand relay....only the switch. The relay was only on 1985 - 1992 models.

The CDI is your ignition. It's what fires your coils to fire the plugs.

25 Ohms seems pretty low?

Your bike doesn't have a sidestand relay....only the switch. The relay was only on 1985 - 1992 models.

I was looking at the vmax manual online trying to find the sidestand relay (I was unaware that the 2003 did not have it) and thought that I found it. Right where the manual said it would be.

It looked like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290246962539&rd=1

it was up and to the left of the flasher under a rubber cover attached to the side of the front coil.

Just out of curiosity, if that is not the side stand relay then what it is it?

Jordan, try starting it with the side stand up, bike in gear and clutch pulled in. If that doesn't work test your pick up coil resistance. You should see a 2-pin connector near the battery on the left side. Might be behind left fuel tank side cover. Look for an orange and black wire. Should read 110 Ohms or so. If that's in spec make sure you have 12 volts going into the CDI via the red/black wire.

I found the orange and black wires, right where you said they would be, and that is where I got the 25 ohms from, but where is the red/black wire?

Thanks for your help,

-Jt

This is your starting circuit cutoff relay. Older models had a separate relay dedicated to only the side stand. The late models did away with that relay and only have an SCCR relay that controls the starting of your bike using the neutral switch, side stand switch, clutch switch and diode assembly. If this relay was bad then your bike wouldn't even turn over.

I found the orange and black wires, right where you said they would be, and that is where I got the 25 ohms from, but where is the red/black wire?

Thanks for your help,

-Jt

You have to expose your CDI...it sits above your front two ignition coils. It's easier to remove your air box to see it. Two big plugs go into the right side of it. There will be a red/black wire in one of those two big connectors.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'll tear that apart after work tomarrow. I appreciate all your help.

Any other ideas as to what would make the bike just die all of a sudden?

I'm betting either p/u coil or ignitor. Ignitor doesn't like to get wet and heat makes either of those parts act funny. Let us know what you find!

Last edited:
I edited your picture. The red mark I made shows the ignitor. Two screws hold it in...one front and one back. Be careful of the clips under the screws. The two big connectors connect on the right side.

Attachments

• moto (640 x 480).jpg
    moto (640 x 480).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
If you are only getting 25 ohms at your pick up then I bet you have a bad stator. It is grounded between phases and not producing enough volts to run the bike.
Not that bad to change, dont ask me how I know:bang head:

Check it again. If it is only 25 you need a new one.

Fargo, not sure what you mean by grounded between phases? P/u is triggered by magnets in flywheel right?

Fargo, not sure what you mean by grounded between phases? P/u is triggered by magnets in flywheel right?

Mark
Sorry I misspoke and didnt quite read what you were telling him to do. I was thinking about the stator. Silly me.
Regardless if is pick ups dont have the correct resistance reading he needs to replace them or the ignitor will not receive the signal needed to fire.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.
PS ALL HAIL STATIC X!!!!

Its been raining here every day, today it rained almost all day so I was not able to make much progress. Inbetween rain showers I was able to check a few things:

I was able to check that I was getting 12 volts via the red/black wire on the CDI/TCI?/Ignitor.

I am also getting 12 volts to each of the coils.

I'll check the pickup coils tomarrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back