C.O.P.Got a little hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
I have been having bad gas milage lately so I checked and switched my plugs today.I put a huge gap like .040 on one plug ,fired it up and it ran great .I took the plug out returned it to normal gap ,went for a spin .I noticed my tach was jumping so I pulled over to check it out.I was smelling smoke so I pulled my seat off pronto and noticed that the resistor on one of my C.O.Ps melted the seat alittle and came right off.The weir thing is the bike seems to run better but I rushed home cause I didnt want to get stranded.My question is if I take some electrical tape and wrap the wired will it be ok.It is alittle singed right now.:confused2:

You must have had the resistor resting on the frame pinched between the frame and seat. I would think when you sat on the bike the resistor cracked and partially crumbled loosing its heat dissipation thru the resistor coating. When the resistor coating crumbled the wiring came into contact with the frame thus causing the tach to jump around. If you still have your stock coils, I would put that one back into operation until you contact Gannon and get a replacement for that one position. Thats just my theory on what happened, I may be completely wrong.

I wouldn't run the bike without the resistor because of the potential ECU damage.

He should have the updated tci box on his 93, unless that didn't change until 95.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You must have had the resistor resting on the frame pinched between the frame and seat. I would think when you sat on the bike the resistor cracked and partially crumbled loosing its heat dissipation thru the resistor coating. When the resistor coating crumbled the wiring came into contact with the frame thus causing the tach to jump around. If you still have your stock coils, I would put that one back into operation until you contact Gannon and get a replacement for that one position. Thats just my theory on what happened, I may be completely wrong.
+1, without the resistor material the tape would just melt. I would talk to Gannon to let him know what happened, I'm sure he'll work out something to get you back on the road quickly.

That is getting more common of pinching the resistor under the seat. I can get you hooked up with a replacement PM me

Thanks G

That is getting more common of pinching the resistor under the seat. I can get you hooked up with a replacement PM me

Thanks G
+1, I'm sure that is what happened to mine as well. I have mine routed better now so as to keep them protected and ventilated.

My resistors are placed as the picture shows where the old coils were placed.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372257409666.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372257409666.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 108
Very nice routing I might add! If you don't mind I will use your picture on the installation manual in my next printing!

G

Be my guest :) I have done it the same way in the front after removing the front coils. Here is another picture.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372260387487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372260387487.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 91
I will have to do that ,cause they get real hot.The red wire into the white plug to the left connected to the square black plug gets kinda warm too .What is that?.

you are using the dielectric grease correct? and your connections were not corroded in the beginning?

G

Resistance creates heat. Going to be a normal part of the process. If the coils are run without resistors then there will be more spark energy available.

If there is someone willing to buy a set of unresistored wires (from gannon or me), I will give them a 2 year guarantee that it won't burn up the CDI box. I want to get someone that rides regularly a chance to disprove the CDI's are burning up because of the increased resistance. This will need to be on a bike with 90 or newer ignition (I have more of those CDI boxes).

I will also comment, The NEW ignitech units Dingy (and I) sell are able to run these standard harness adapters without resistors. So, cheaper adapters AND a better box! It can even run the Vboost so another box with potential problems eliminated!

Sean Morley

If there is someone willing to buy a set of unresistored wires (from gannon or me), I will give them a 2 year guarantee that it won't burn up the CDI box. I want to get someone that rides regularly a chance to disprove the CDI's are burning up because of the increased resistance. This will need to be on a bike with 90 or newer ignition (I have more of those CDI boxes).

Sean Morley

++++1 :th_image003:

Latest posts

Back