Canadians get screwed by Yamaha

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
Went to the local dealer today to pick up a new set of bars, on a whim I asked the MSRP of the new Max........... $21,990 Cdn + taxes, licensing, PDI, etc. Nothing like getting screwed by Yamaha!!!!!

DAY-AMM - I thought the Canadian dollar was worth more than US these days - RIP-OFF At least you guys have better beer...:biglaugh:

I'ts looking like it's going to be over $20k here as well. Oh well, My house will be payed for in 5 years. I'll think about another ride then. Till then I'm still happy with what I have.:clapping:

Sent Yamaha Canada a pointed email las night. Told them I will wait until the prices comes down as they are not going to sell too many at $22k. Figure I can buy 2 B Kings or 2 ZX14's for that price.

Went to the local dealer today to pick up a new set of bars, on a whim I asked the MSRP of the new Max........... $21,990 Cdn + taxes, licensing, PDI, etc. Nothing like getting screwed by Yamaha!!!!!

you guys are aware that all the things you buy cost more here right?

The new Ducati 848 is 16,000 and 13000 or so in the states for instance...

My yamaha dealer (cycle city in burlington) told me i couldnt order untill july and that the delivery would be sept and that (as of yesterday) there were no specs on "next years" vmax.... I find it funny that they basically lost 20000 dollars business because of some idiot... if i owned that business i would not want a jerk off in sales. Jesus i could lie a better story than all that. "tell you what mr customer, i don have all the info just yet im a little behind in my work but i will take your check and call the distributor on monday to confirm i can place an order and get back to you right away...can i get your name an number?"
sheesh

I would really be angry if yamaha has a later release date in Canada...that could mean we would have difficulties buying in Buffalo and importing to Canada... Ducati pulled this shit on the 2008 models and it makes it very difficult to import one....

All things assiide i have no problem going to upstate ny (45 minute drive) and buying the bike for 4 grand less....

after a few years prices will drop like a rock

no they wont..... lots of bikes sell at this price.

And you know what? once it is declared "quickest bike in the world ever" by all the magazines get ready to pay more for it.....

And if by some freaking miracle yamaha where to decide they priced it wrong it would only drop a grand or so....

Dont hold your breath waiting for a 17 thousand dollar motorcycle to be reduced to 12000.....

My yamaha dealer (cycle city in burlington) told me i couldnt order untill july and that the delivery would be sept and that (as of yesterday) there were no specs on "next years" vmax.... I find it funny that they basically lost 20000 dollars business because of some idiot... if i owned that business i would not want a jerk off in sales. Jesus i could lie a better story than all that. "tell you what mr customer, i don have all the info just yet im a little behind in my work but i will take your check and call the distributor on monday to confirm i can place an order and get back to you right away...can i get your name an number?"
sheesh

I would really be angry if yamaha has a later release date in Canada...that could mean we would have difficulties buying in Buffalo and importing to Canada... Ducati pulled this shit on the 2008 models and it makes it very difficult to import one....

All things assiide i have no problem going to upstate ny (45 minute drive) and buying the bike for 4 grand less....

RJ,

I am sure you remember the recent hubub with the automakers and their pricing. The point is that Yamaha has no good reason to jack up the price here. Things used to cost more here due to the fact that the loonie sucked against the US dollar. When it was only worth $0.65 US then the 20% price difference made sense, now its just a rip off.

As to you local dealers sale rep, he's a boob!!! My local dealer qouted "Deposits to be taken starting Friday of $1000 with delivery starting in November." Your rep there didnt want to look for you..

RJ,

I am sure you remember the recent hubub with the automakers and their pricing. The point is that Yamaha has no good reason to jack up the price here. Things used to cost more here due to the fact that the loonie sucked against the US dollar. When it was only worth $0.65 US then the 20% price difference made sense, now its just a rip off.

As to you local dealers sale rep, he's a boob!!! My local dealer qouted "Deposits to be taken starting Friday of $1000 with delivery starting in November." Your rep there didnt want to look for you..

yup your right about CYCLE CITY BURLINGTON ONTARIO CANADA being totally detrimental to selling bikes for them selves...odd to be in busness and not actually sell things. anyway...

Oh yes i fully aware about the auto price hubub...your right...and its still not fixed.... ducati for instance elected to keep the price difference and to block shipemnt of us bikes into canada b not assisteing in claiming they are meeting canadian standards.... not the only ones to be idiots.... there really are a lot of products not just cars and bikes, that are still cheaper in the states..... even the gas in the states is close to 80 cents a liter....

And you know what? once it is declared "quickest bike in the world ever" by all the magazines get ready to pay more for it.....

From the specs I've seen, that will never happen.

Not as bad as here between 26k - 30kNZ and with Yamaha not likely to produce many prices will stay high . Lets hope it makes our gen 1 bikes worht more

:confused2:

And if by some freaking miracle yamaha where to decide they priced it wrong it would only drop a grand or so....

Dont hold your breath waiting for a 17 thousand dollar motorcycle to be reduced to 12000.....

yup your right about CYCLE CITY BURLINGTON ONTARIO CANADA being totally detrimental to selling bikes for them selves...odd to be in busness and not actually sell things. anyway...

Oh yes i fully aware about the auto price hubub...your right...and its still not fixed.... ducati for instance elected to keep the price difference and to block shipemnt of us bikes into canada b not assisteing in claiming they are meeting canadian standards.... not the only ones to be idiots.... there really are a lot of products not just cars and bikes, that are still cheaper in the states..... even the gas in the states is close to 80 cents a liter....

I know of several instances like the Ducati one that were circumvented by the dealer. They put 1 mile on the bike, called it a demo and sold it that way. Ducati was blocking the selling of new bikes and not demo's or used:biglaugh:

Can you explain the math here? I assume by quick you mean quarter-mile.

Given the 683 wet weight and the rumored 197 HP I can see the ZX-14, Hayabusa, B-King, and all 4 liter bikes being quicker in the quarter. Perhaps the new Max has a better 60 ft, maybe an 1/8 mile but it gets passed on the top end of the track. Assuming competent rider on both bikes, same track, same conditions.

I love the new V-max but I am trying to be objective here. At this point we really don't know the actual power output specs of a U.S. V-max do we?

If it turns out it is the best quarter-miler, great. If not that really would not matter that much to me as long as it is close. There are so many other great attributes of the new V-max. :coolgleamA:

sheesh

RJ~
The dealer I'm working with has purchased 2 bikes for their inventory, with one of them being mine if I want it. As far as I know, (just spoke to them Thursday) the second isn't spoken for yet and is still available. I'm sure they'd take your order quickly if you want to secure one for yourself. I'd bet dealer trades from State-to-State are possible too, as they are very easy to work with! They also told me that if I don't buy this bike this year for whatever reason, than they will sell it to someone else and they'll use my deposit for some other machine in their inventory that my wife wants this year. That's a possibility of *TWO* bikes available at the same dealer!

Let me know if you want it and I'll forward you my salesman's contact info. :)

Yes Canadians do get screwed!!
2009_VMAX_SMM_1.jpg

Select View: Side Profile
Right Left
3/4 Angle
Right Left

Highlights
  • 1679cc, V-4 powerplant with YCC-I & YCC-T
  • Aluminium chassis with fully adjustable suspension

Price Tag

fb604ee140d1ecfddb055161f36e33a3.gif
ee8d8f29ea38bf09d804e00f7dcd5ede.gif

I got a response to an email I sent to Yamaha about the price:

Good afternoon:

It is impossible to simply answer this type of inquiry regarding pricing
between US and Canadian products.

There are many variables and fluctuations and the exchange rate today is
not necessarily the rate fixed when the prices were initially negotiated.
In Canada different import expenditures, volume purchasing (300 million vs.
32 million), and different associated costs of operating in Canada vs. the
USA. Such dilemmas are shared by Yamaha and other importers and
manufacturers.

I do believe, for reasons mentioned above, you will see the prices drop but
it will probably not be in the near future. There are a few interesting
articles in the Globe and Mail regarding this and they indicate that across
the board Canadians pay more than US consumers (they calculate 24 per cent
across the board). I can understand your frustration but I'm sure you
realize the Canadian dollar rose 27 per cent in '07. We negotiated with our
factory long before these significant changes. We will try and assist our
dealers and customers but firms in Canada do have different costs and
expenditures. I am sure you will agree that we also need to support local
business to make sure we have a dealership in proximity for all our
servicing needs.

We also believe our prices are compatible with our competition in Canada
and like most firms we do not consider the US to be our market. Even when
their dollar was much stronger we did not advertise to US consumers and
encourage them to shop in Canada.

Regards and thank you for contacting us. I do hope you find the Yamaha of
your dreams and I naturally hope it is purchased at one of our fine
dealerships in Canada.

Scott

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:At least they responded. Also I am working a deal with the local dealer as they say they will come in at less than MSRP if at all possible. They want to maintain a bit of their margin of course, but if they are willing to deal why not ask. This dealer has also indicated that if others would like to get in on the quote that they give me, which I will pass on through here, they would be more than willing to work with others.

RJ~
The dealer I'm working with has purchased 2 bikes for their inventory, with one of them being mine if I want it. As far as I know, (just spoke to them Thursday) the second isn't spoken for yet and is still available. I'm sure they'd take your order quickly if you want to secure one for yourself. I'd bet dealer trades from State-to-State are possible too, as they are very easy to work with! They also told me that if I don't buy this bike this year for whatever reason, than they will sell it to someone else and they'll use my deposit for some other machine in their inventory that my wife wants this year. That's a possibility of *TWO* bikes available at the same dealer!

Let me know if you want it and I'll forward you my salesman's contact info. :)

sure id love that info thanks

For those Canadians thinking about going south and buying a new Vmax, think again. Yamaha has instructed US dealers that they cannot sell a new Max to anyone without them having a verifiable US address. Even if, like me, you could come up with a US address, the VIN is registered as a US bike, when you import it to Canada and register it you void the warranty. This information is directly from a dealer in Canada, btw they are just as pissed about the Canadian price as we are.

For those Canadians thinking about going south and buying a new Vmax, think again. Yamaha has instructed US dealers that they cannot sell a new Max to anyone without them having a verifiable US address. Even if, like me, you could come up with a US address, the VIN is registered as a US bike, when you import it to Canada and register it you void the warranty. This information is directly from a dealer in Canada, btw they are just as pissed about the Canadian price as we are.

thats illegal , if the same bike is sold in canada.... all they can really do is claim its not approved for canadian laws at import...

your dealer buddy is just saying that to get you to buy from him...

Back