Carb overflow tube pouring gas

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockfront

Reaction score
I just started up my 2005 V-Max (3300 miles) for the first time in 5 months. Gas is pouring out of one of the carb overflow tubes. I am looking for some advice on how to fix this problem!

Attachments

• Carb overflow tube.jpg
    Carb overflow tube.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 24
You can probably try tapping the carb body and get it to stop momentarily. The likelihood is that you may have sediment or rust in the tank which is keeping your float needle from stopping the gas flow. Tapping the carb body will often allow the minute material on the float needle seat to pass through and to re-seal.

You may need to flush your tank and check it for interior corrosion. You have a hex bolt on the bottom of the tank for drainage. See what kind of sediment you have.

Drain your float bowls into a glass jar to see if there's any little particles swimming around in there...might be a good idea to change the filter also.

Probably gunk created from E10 separating out over the months. You might want to run some Seafoam, or other additive through the first tank or two to help dissolve any residue left from the old gas.

Well, I appreciate all the great suggestions! I exposed the top of the carbs and found the gas spewing out of cylinder 1 overflow float. Seafoamed it, drained the float, tapped as best as I could without removing the whole carb. Got it to idle without leaking. Then cylinder 3 decided to do the same thing. repeated the process on #3. Great. Testing it out again. And don't you know, cylinder #2 decided to start overflowing. WTF, Whack a Mole. I decided to drain all the floats, seafoamed all of them, tapped all of them, then got it running.
I emptied the floats several times and I never saw an particles whatsoever. I will pick up a new fuel filter and I will get around to draining the tank and seafoaming the hell out of that too (f they have any seafoam left after my shopping spree today.)
thanks, I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction!

Latest posts

Back