carb parts...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayvin53

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the best vendor to buy carb parts from? Still having trouble with the Max not running w/out some choke on all the time, so I've pulled the carb bank again and am in the process of stripping it down. Found a few cracks in the boots attaching them to the vboost assembly, although they don't seem to go all the way through the rubber. Figure the damn things are 15 years old and it would be a wise to throw some new ones on now. I'll replace any other questionable components when I have the carbs apart--who's the favored supplier for you guys?
Thanks.

Hard to say. I think there was a recent post (in the last 2 days) about Gary McCoy at another dealership giving us a good discount again. OEM yamaha parts about your best bet. I will tell you the new stuff won't last a 10th of what the old rubber did. Probably can't use certain chemicals like they used to be able to.

Sean

Too bad about the newer rubber parts...thanks for the quick reply, Sean. I guess I'll go with Ron Ayers or partsfish for the boots--seem to be around 14 bucks per, but might take a couple of weeks to arrive unless I go express. Was hoping there might be a better (quicker) way. None of the local dealers stock them.
Also, the screws holding all float chamber covers on were really tight, so in addition to the usual wd-40 soak, I had to use an impact driver. Stop yelling, I know that might have been too much force to use on the carbs... All of them loosened up nicely except for a couple on carb 2. They didn't turn and I've now mangled the heads of them pretty good. Stop laughing, I know I can't be the only one to have done this...right? Even so, any good methods for getting these things to loosen up? A little heat from a torch, maybe? I guess the impact driver might have been a poor idea, but I couldn't loosen the suckers any other way.
Also, now that I've got the others opened up, what would be my next step on cleaning up the idle pilot circuit, other than spraying carb cleaner throughout? I want to get these suckers totally clean, so I can rule them out as the cause of the bike not running without the choke partially on. I don't believe I was getting any gas at all through the idle circuit since the adjustments of the idle mixture screws had NO effect at all on the engine.
One more thing. I got the two screws out of the jet block, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. How much force should I use on that thing--don't want to mangle it up, too.
Thanks.
Vin

All my carb probs are resolved and it's running strong. Allll righttttt!!

Just something to check but when I first got my bike it had a very fine scum of rust on a large portion of the gas tank. The rust was amazingly fine like powder and would go through the filter and settle in the float bowls. Once there it seemed to clump up and randomly plug things up. You might take a look inside the tank with a flashlight and check.

Just something to check but when I first got my bike it had a very fine scum of rust on a large portion of the gas tank. The rust was amazingly fine like powder and would go through the filter and settle in the float bowls. Once there it seemed to clump up and randomly plug things up. You might take a look inside the tank with a flashlight and check.

Thanks, Storloc, I'll check more closely inside the tank, but it was gummed up pilot jets (a hard, greenish residue) that had caused my problem due to the PO having let the bike sit for many months with gas in it. Been riding the heck out of it lately and having a blast...when the old lady wants to come along, we take the Magna--she doesn't feel comfortable riding bitch on the VBeast.

My Vboost boots were all over tightened and squished out of shape. This caused 2 of them to crack - one right through the other just on the surface. It came from the factory that way. So much so that even some of the screws were stripped. Took about a week to get a new one from the local dealer.

Everyone should check these!

Dale #2592

Back in the day (1997-2001) I used to work across the street from Ron Ayers in Greenville, of course at that time I didn't own a bike.... maybe that was a good thing? Does Ayers give members a discount?
Brad

Back