carb set up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_vmax

Reaction score
anybody know the best needle setting and main jet to use with suppertrapp slip ons. i have a dyno jet stage 1 on it now adjusted to what they recomend. but im thinking the main is too big.
it runs fine stop light to stop light but wot it moves but feels sluggish.
any input you guys have will be great.

Hi Chris,

I run the supertrapps with 8 discs and the comp open ends. Stock carbs, but everyone states to change out mains from stock 152.5 to 147.5 for better performance. I do run a K&N filter with this setup. You may want to talk with Sean Morley of Morley Muscle as to he is great assisting with tuning.

Chris,

The DynoJet Stage 1 kit is the culprit. I can tell you from personal and painful experience that it is a pain in the butt to set up and most folks, myself included, end up getting frustrated and yanking it back out. What I would recommend is that you go back to stock needles, no worries if you drilled the slides as it won't cause a problem, stock springs, and with the 'traps Mikuni 150 main jets as a starting point. Bike comes stock with Mikuni 152.5's which are a bit on the rich side. This is just what I would do and I am sure that there are others here who will chime in with their ideas as well.

Beware the Mod Monkey!!

Like the others said... I know it's hard to believe but you need to LEAN the bike out for the ST's.

Stock needles are the best as well.

Really all you're gaining with the ST's is sound and weight loss.

Gluck,
Chris

most vmax's go rich right there, can you lean your needle any more while not affecting cruise?

no problem. I assume you're going rich, right? you could verify by seeing if a tiny bit of choke helps or hurts. also if you are going lean it would be surging/stumbling a bit.

Back