carb vent spewing gAs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris08170817

Reaction score
I just fired my vmax up today . I haven't started it in about 2 months it was fine. When I started it today one of the vent tubes that run up under the cowl cover was leaking gas pretting good. I suspect this is due to a sticky float but not sure. Can someone let me know there thoughts and if there is an easy fix for this or do I need to have the carbs rebuilt OUCH. I did put stabilizer in the gas HELP HELP HELP. You can email me directly at chris0817@aol

I just fired my vmax up today . I haven't started it in about 2 months it was fine. When I started it today one of the vent tubes that run up under the cowl cover was leaking gas pretting good. I suspect this is due to a sticky float but not sure. Can someone let me know there thoughts and if there is an easy fix for this or do I need to have the carbs rebuilt OUCH. I did put stabilizer in the gas HELP HELP HELP. You can email me directly at chris0817@aol

Sounds like a stuck float to me. What you can do is figure out which carb is overflowing, extend the overflow hose or at a minimum put the end into a container to prevent an engine fire, start the bike, tap on the carb bowl while it is running. This can free up the float and it will work again. More than likely just some varnish from dry carb bowls that broke loose and is causing it to stick. If that doesn't work, and you can try several times, you may have to have the carbs cleaned.

+1 to what Jim said - tap (using a rubber mallet or a block of soft wood) on the offending float bowl and it should come unstuck.

It's prolly not a bad idea to open each float bowl drain screw in turn first, and collect the gas from each bowl into a clear or white container - look into it and let us know if there's any dirt / dust / debris present?

If needed, you can do the 'shotgun' cleaning method (search for it here) which will give your pilot jet circuit a good clean, can be done in situ and may help with your issue.

If all fails, taking the carbs rack off is actually real easy on our Max - check out the carb/tuning forum here for full info on how to do this including photos etc

My '94 Max on first startup had a stuck float on one carb. Large amount of gas spewing out.
I tried the easy bang on carb= no, "shotgun" procedure and that did not correct the issue.
Removed the rack using the Haynes Manual & sent them to Danny Urwin (well known, respected VMAX Forum Memeber) for a re-build.
Turn around was fast, cost $430. as I also replace the fuel filter & the rubber "boots" or "unions" that mate the carb to the intake manifold. Old rubber with cracks are indicators to replace at only $14. each.

Danny synced them best he could & I can actually ride the bike until I get them synced.
As a novice, I found the removal & install of the rack of carbs to be time consuming and
frustrating. So I advise studying the procedure (with pics), then make your own chart of what goes where or take digital pics to upload to a laptop. You might forget the details as the re-build with shipping can take 2 weeks.

Figure on maybe 4-6 hrs. of intense labor. I'd have jobed the whole fix out, but there are no
VMAX mechanics in my immediate area (truck bike to dealer?).
I'm 72 yrs., non-mechanic, so you should be able to do this right; but DO NOT BE IN A RUSH!
Jim from Martha's Vineyard, Ma.

Keep in mind I have NEVER messed with a 4 rack of carbs until now. If you are any way shape or form mechanically inclined and can read a manual you can do this job. Syncing the carbs is another issue.

I literally just finished going through this issue. I can tell you what I did but it doesn't necessarily mean this is what is wrong with your bike. My 85 had been sitting for a LONG time. It only has 14400 miles. I took the carb rack out (can be tedious the first time, hope you have a book). I went through and cleaned the carbs and replaced everything in them with kits that I bought (not saying you need to do this). When I put them back on the bike I had fuel coming out of the breather hoses that connecxt to the airbox, the bleed air hose on carb #1, and where the slipon meets the main pipe. I took the carbs back off and found that I assemble the float and needle valve incorrectly. The float needle valve has a spring like pin on the end of it and three out of four of the carbs pins had fallen off. I made sure this time to put the float into the spring thing at the end of the needle valve instead of just setting it on top of it (newbie mistake). Put the carbs back to gether and remounted (this took me a total of 45 minutes). Now the bike was still leaking fuel from the bleed air hose. So back to taking the carbs off. Cleaned the piss out of the #1 carb and now no more leak. Now just need to get the sync and A/F mixture right. Hope this helps.

Happy ending to '94 Max stuck float issue.

Danny Urwin re-build my carbs. I un-installed the rack & installed the rack & now
I can ride the bike until I get the carbs synced.

The bang on carb. & "Shotgun process" did not correct the issue. Nice try, but figure on spending $430. including ship, new gas filter, new rubber "boots" or "unions" ($14. each) that mate the carb. to the manifold intake.
Jim Martha's Vineyard

Thanks for the mention Jim....'preciate it.

Glad to hear you could jump on and take a ride....a good running vacuum sync will make a world of difference!

On the rebuild price, $430 is a little high, more like $330 plus shipping to & from. Parts have taken a hike (like everydamnthing else and a complete gasket/o-ring/jet block plug package costs $180 delivered tmd!

Oh, it's Unwin but Dannymax will do fine. :biglaugh:

Well done Danny! And just to let any Australian riders know, if you need this done down under I can also do it - located in Western Australia (Fremantle). Just remove the rack, pack it, ship it to me and I'll send it back all cleaned up / rebuilt.
The only thing that may take time and add to cost is any carb parts needed to be ordered (can only find out which when opening the carbs to check).

Back