Carbs leaking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmailley

Reaction score
Ok, now it's getting a little crazy.

I put new carbside intake boots when I saw the old ones wet with gas and they're still doing it??? #2 & #3 cylinder boots are all wet and I can see the bottom of those carbs are wet as well.

I did a really good clean, shotgun + (soaked them all in my dunk tank), before I put them back on, checked the diaphrams, checked all floats levels and inspected the linkage to see all carbs pull together. It all looked good. I don't have a sync gauge so I did the old fashioned tube to the ear and in each carb. They were all pretty close. 1 & 2 sounded the same, 3 & 4 sounded the same. I couldn't get left to sync to right but not that far out.

What am I looking at here? I know the floats are not stuck, had the airbox lid off when syncing and saw all the slides moving in unison. It stalled yesterday and had to jump start it so I need to check my electrical again. Did the r/r wire fix last year but may have a bad battery.

Frustration is setting in since I don't have a good mechanic here that has a clue about Max's. The only one is hit and miss.

HELP!!!

did you completely tear down the carbs??? sounds like maybe an O ring is missing .

Have you looked inside your tank with a bright light? If there's any rust at all the rust dust will prevent the needle valves from closing and fuel will leak through heavily.

I have a temp tank that I used when I did my XS11 carbs so I'm thinking I'll drain the carbs on the bike, pull the drain screws, check them to see if the o rings are there/good. If they are missing or bad, I'll replace them and see if that's it. If they're good, I'll hook up the temp tank and see if there is another issue.

How's that sound?

Naughty, I just put a new fuel filter in it. Would that dust still get past?

I'll check the tank as well.

Thanks guys!!

It seems Rhoy was right. 2 of the 4 drain screw o rings were cracked and the other 2 were hard. Had to cut 2 of them off the screws and the other 2 broke right off. Replaced all 4 and they look dry. Haven't ridden it yet.

Could those have leaked enough to cut my mileage to the consistent 80 miles til fuel light goes on?

Any leak is going to cut your mileage to some degree. Also if your out of sync and have a poor to mediocre tune on the carbs, your mileage will drop.

Back