Carbs not getting fuel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natedog650

Reaction score
Ok, finally finished sealing my tank, just haven't had the time off work so get it done and back together.

So got it back together yesterday and went to start and seems like it's not getting any fuel. Know the fuel line in the tank is clear, blew in it and fuel came up the line and filled the filter. Pump is clicking and I see the fuel in the filter moving with the clicks. Sounds like there is no spark or no fuel at all, could use some troubleshooting help on this.

Wondering about tip over valve, priming the fuel pump, bowls sticking? but not really sure where to start.

Thanks and hope to be riding again soon.

Did you open your carb drain screws to see if ANY fuel is getting to the carbs?
How many times did you let the pump cycle....it takes 2 or 3 times to fill the carbs.

Did you open your carb drain screws to see if ANY fuel is getting to the carbs?
How many times did you let the pump cycle....it takes 2 or 3 times to fill the carbs.
+1

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

For the spark part- pull a plug wire and a spark plug and crank it with the end of the plug touching the head and see if there is spark. Just don't keep hold of the plug wire with your hand.

Lol, yeah don't think i wanna hold it while I do that. Seems to spark a memory of childhood, I should ask my dad about that.

Ok, didn't drain bowls yet, will try that first. Thanks.

The 'rite of passage,' hanging around the local garage, or shade tree mechanics, & them tossing a charged points capacitor to an unsuspecting kid....

Lol, yeah don't think i wanna hold it while I do that. Seems to spark a memory of childhood, I should ask my dad about that.

Don't waste that gas- get a larger clear hose and do a wet check on the floats.

:ummm: about that...:confused2:

Put a clear hose over the drain tubes then open the drain screw all the way-on the side of the carb below the cap it says "mikuni corp" then there is a line and then it says "made in japan". That line is where the gas should come to in the clear hose. Sorry the pic is blurry but it's dark.

Attachments

• CIMG0965.jpg
    CIMG0965.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
Just my opinion....but it's more important to see if you have fuel.....than to check the float level. That's more of a tuning and looking for hp thing.

Sometimes the kiss principal works out better.

You forgot to tell him that to do it correctly there need to be marks on the tube....that way you can measure between 15 and 17 mm below the line.

Fuel level 16mm

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444302263.983250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444302263.983250.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444302280.655526.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444302280.655526.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 31

A spark tester should be part of a tool set. They are ridiculously cheap at Harbor Freight. IMO

Thanks gents, hope to get this resolved this weekend and back to riding. HATE driving daily, just bums me out watching all the bikers pass me on my commute to work.

Say.. my analytical brain is messing with me over here.. Did you say you coated your tank?
Did you make sure the vent tube is not blocked? That coating is some tough stuff.
That little 1mm hole, if blocked, will cause a negative atmosphere which would cause your pump to strain to supply fuel to the carbs.
Make sure you can blow air into the vent tube..
When I coated my tank, I stuck a 1mm drill bit end into the brass fitting till the everything cured up..
Then pulled it out, and re-drilled the hole, just for good measure.

Say.. my analytical brain is messing with me over here.. Did you say you coated your tank?
Did you make sure the vent tube is not blocked? That coating is some tough stuff.
That little 1mm hole, if blocked, will cause a negative atmosphere which would cause your pump to strain to supply fuel to the carbs.
Make sure you can blow air into the vent tube..
When I coated my tank, I stuck a 1mm drill bit end into the brass fitting till the everything cured up..
Then pulled it out, and re-drilled the hole, just for good measure.
That's a good idea.....and easy way to tell is to take of the fuel cap.....and then see if it starts. ..

Good points, I will check the vent. I ran a pipe cleaner through it but didn't blow into it. I will try that and taking the gas cap off to start.

Update, replaced battery, blew into vent seems fine, primed fuel lines (blew into it and quickly re-attached the lines before fuel came out), starts, runs, short trip around the neighborhood last night. hoping to ride this week after I go back over it tonight, double checking my work. Hopefully sealing the tank resolved my "dying" issues, no more rust in the lines. We'll see.

Bikes running good, couple short jaunts to work and a friends, one trip up to Mt Baldy and back. Still some "chuffing" from the front right carb. Need to get synced but happy to be riding.

Back