CBR Tail Light Wiring?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C.

Reaction score
I have a CBR light that I'd like to put in place of my stock one. The previous owner gave memthe light when I bought the bike. The light I have has three wires. I'm hoping it's the one with the integrated turn signals. How can I tell? How do you wire the light in?

3 wire tail lights are set up for brake / tail function only. Ground, Brake+, and Tail+. You would need 2 more wires for the left and right + connections.

You could use that light if you leave the OEM directionals and may need a seperate plate light? But most of us use the integrated CBR-600 lights found on E-Bay. I still needed a plate light but there are new lenses out that may solve that. A cleaner look than the stock light, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'll have to take a look on eBay and order one up. I purchased a set of bags that I'm going to try and squeeze on, and the stock signals are right in the way. So I'd like eliminate those and have the integrated

So I purchased another light that has the signals, I am now wondering for the resistors, can you tie the resistor to the signal wire and to the brake light ground? The signal wires don't have a ground they are only one wire.

Last edited:
Only for the directionals do you need resistors. And only if the hyper flashing is bothersome. There's more than one way to do it. I used a resistors in parallel on each directional signal wire.

There are universal relays on ebay and we do sell one as well but there is nothing that is a plug and play. You'll have to do at least a little wiring mods but not much. Biggest downside is the loss of the self cancelling feature.

Just thought I'd share, I got the new light all wired up and installed, along with my new bags. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I ended up finding a local electronic repair shop that had 5ohm 50watt resistors in stock. I added one of those to each of my signals and they flash at a stock rate now. Although it almost seems as if I have lost the self cancelling.

Attachments

• 20190324_163557.jpg
    20190324_163557.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Only thing I have left to do is to get my new valve cover gasket to stop leaking...

Only thing I have left to do is to get my new valve cover gasket to stop leaking...

Did you use OEM? It's a PIA to get those valve cover gaskets replaced. Its not worth using sub-par materials. Especially the front.

I spray the gasket with permatex hi-tack spray. Let it sit a couple minutes. Spray some in a cup and apply to the groove in the valve cover with a Q-tip.
Once it starts getting sticky, apply gasket to cover. Press into place as needed. It WILL stay.
Put a TINY amount of yamabond on the "half moon" cutout on top of the cylinder head. No other adhesives or sealers required.
Make sure cover is properly aligned. Bolts will bottom out and then get just a touch more torque. Doesn't take much.

Mine still self cancel, but I have bulbs in the front not LED's.
I'll have to try it out more to confirm, I have only tested it once. It may have been something to do with how I was riding as we are just barely melted enough to get out. There is still a lot of dirt and gravel on the roads. Perks of northern Canada...

Did you use OEM? It's a PIA to get those valve cover gaskets replaced. Its not worth using sub-par materials. Especially the front.

I spray the gasket with permatex hi-tack spray. Let it sit a couple minutes. Spray some in a cup and apply to the groove in the valve cover with a Q-tip.
Once it starts getting sticky, apply gasket to cover. Press into place as needed. It WILL stay.
Put a TINY amount of yamabond on the "half moon" cutout on top of the cylinder head. No other adhesives or sealers required.
Make sure cover is properly aligned. Bolts will bottom out and then get just a touch more torque. Doesn't take much.
It isn't an OEM gasket no.. Our local dealer isn't very good to deal with, so I just go online usually. The gasket does seem like quality material though. It is one of the half moon cutouts that it is leaking, maybe I'll try and find some of that yamabond and apply it in there. I hope I don't have to totally remove that cover again as it was so much fun..

QUOTE]
An extra set of hands helps too. But like Mike mentioned,stick it into place first. I've used thread to hold them in place then slip the threads out after the cover is in place. Extra sealer on the half moons is mandatory. IMO.

I'll have to pop the cover up and try dabbing some sealant in the half moons. I have popped the cover off once and tried cleaning the surface and reinstalling. It has sealed good all around except the one. The gasket seems to have seated in place good in the groove in the cover.

Back