Chain drive info and pictures

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chain is inside the case housing and so an offset sprocket is not practical or needed. I have seen as wide as a 280 with a chain drive and special offset motor mounts to help clear the side of the frame.

I've still got the 1500 chaindrive longrod engine here if anyone is really wanting to build a monster. I will be getting in a 1428 chaindrive bike soon though it may already be spoken for.

Typical gains from the chaindrive conversion (without doing anything else) will be 15-20% plus a significant weight reduction.

Sean, you do chain driver conversions right? If i were to tear my engine out and ship to you, what would the damage be to convert?

I think the bike is calling for a wider rear fender to make it look perfect :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What's the advantage of 1428 over the 1500 that would influence your picking that size?

Been awhile since we did a "conventional" chain conversion. PCW's setup works well and we can probably just get the parts from them to do the job if sent to us. I do actually have a like new Mad Max chain conversion we're going to sell at some point.

250 should fit with standard mounts and better chain alignment. I am not sure if the centerline will be ideal at that either. a 200 will leave better handling and more nuetral alignment of the tire.

I did see the PCW kit for 800 and some change. Would you need the engine case void of all parts or can I drain all fluid and send as is?

It's got to come all the way apart either way. Would be a heck of a lot cheaper to ship empty.

OR, if you have a good running engine it may be easier to simply take a core block and build it up.

Sean

The chain is inside the case housing and so an offset sprocket is not practical or needed. I have seen as wide as a 280 with a chain drive and special offset motor mounts to help clear the side of the frame.

I've still got the 1500 chaindrive longrod engine here if anyone is really wanting to build a monster. I will be getting in a 1428 chaindrive bike soon though it may already be spoken for.

Typical gains from the chaindrive conversion (without doing anything else) will be 15-20% plus a significant weight reduction.

That 1500cc, I'm assuming bored and stroked, or is it all overbore?
I do like the idea of the extended tank. I imagine it would definitely be needed with the sheer increase in displacement.

Most big motors are bore only. The added stroke can be done but not as much peak hp though more torque.

Back