Changing the clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your going to find that responses to the different clutch pull weights are going to come in all over "the harder to pull" range. I was told that the clutch pull was going to very hard so I brought a rubber exercise ball to work and squeezed that for a cumulative couple hours a day for 3 months. When I started riding it in the spring I didn't even think that it was that hard to pull. I haven't used the exercise ball this year and I went for a ride on Monday and still don't think it's that hard a pull. I don't ride in heavy traffic much but I have ridden in heavy stop and go traffic which I had no issues. Maybe I have weak clutch springs or really strong hands but as a computer tech I don't see that it would help me have stronger hands.

...but as a computer tech I don't see that it would help me have stronger hands.
perhaps it depends on what your downloading .... hahaha!

but seriously, thanks for the insight. i imagine it'll be just like how i had to develop hand strength just on the stock when i first started out. it's just when folks are tossing words around like "popeye arms" "torture in stop-n-go", it gets one wondering

I've noticed my clutch starting to slip when the tach passes 7-8k in the upper gears going WOT. Just rolled over 25k miles.

Sounds like I might just try getting the PCW spring and going from there. I had the clutch out around 10k ago to replace the shift segment and then the friction discs looked like they had plenty of life left, and I don't think I'm that hard on it.

I'll give PCW a call tomorrow, see what they have to say.

I've noticed my clutch starting to slip when the tach passes 7-8k in the upper gears going WOT. Just rolled over 25k miles.

Sounds like I might just try getting the PCW spring and going from there. I had the clutch out around 10k ago to replace the shift segment and then the friction discs looked like they had plenty of life left, and I don't think I'm that hard on it.

I'll give PCW a call tomorrow, see what they have to say.

i'd go pcw given the choice again if i had stock master.

the double d and a fjr master are amazing.

Called PCW this morning, talked to John for a while about it. He said just changing the spring with their HD one might help it hold for a bit, but suggested to "be done with it" to go for their clutch kit ($150), which is 8 full size fibers, a gasket, and the HD spring. Also recommended scuffing the steels with 220 sandpaper while apart (since bead blasting isn't really available).

They had apparently actually measured the lever effort needed. He said the stock setup is ~8lbs of pressure to get the lever to the bar. He said their HD spring requires ~12lbs of pressure but keeps the overall "feel" the same. I asked if it was "grabby" or "on/off" like some have reported with the Barnett and he said it behaves very similar to stock, just with a bit more effort needed.

They really are a helpful bunch...we talked for probably 15 minutes just about the clutch. Most shops try to get you off the phone ASAP and won't give you the time of day without knowing you'll pay....

Called PCW this morning, talked to John for a while about it. He said just changing the spring with their HD one might help it hold for a bit, but suggested to "be done with it" to go for their clutch kit ($150), which is 8 full size fibers, a gasket, and the HD spring. Also recommended scuffing the steels with 220 sandpaper while apart (since bead blasting isn't really available).

They had apparently actually measured the lever effort needed. He said the stock setup is ~8lbs of pressure to get the lever to the bar. He said their HD spring requires ~12lbs of pressure but keeps the overall "feel" the same. I asked if it was "grabby" or "on/off" like some have reported with the Barnett and he said it behaves very similar to stock, just with a bit more effort needed.

They really are a helpful bunch...we talked for probably 15 minutes just about the clutch. Most shops try to get you off the phone ASAP and won't give you the time of day without knowing you'll pay....

while you're in there i'd just do the whole kit man, u know how much of a pain these gaskets can be!

i'd talk to morley about the steel exchange, he offers bead blasted ones very inexpensively.

Back