Changing the clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I have been paying attention but I didn't see this thread until I posted my last comment. Thanks to the moderator for guiding my last post to this thread.

Let me get this straight:

1) There are TWO diaphragm springs, one right on top of the other, in the Double D mod?

2) Where can I get a SINGLE friction disc, full size? (I already have a new Barnett kit, but in has the half-size friction disc).

Thanks!

Elimax

Let me get this straight:

1) There are TWO diaphragm springs, one right on top of the other, in the Double D mod?

2) Where can I get a SINGLE friction disc, full size? (I already have a new Barnett kit, but in has the half-size friction disc).

Thanks!

Elimax

Yes, 2 diaphragm springs with the DD mod
You can pick up a single friction disc from Sean or any dealer. They are only about $10

Shawn, the last steel plate is the same as the rest of them. So, you need 8 friction discs (1 replaces 1/2 friction disc) and 7 steel plates. You can throw away the retainer ring/piano wire, clutch boss spring and clutch boss seat.

Mark

I just pulled my Barnett apart for the first time. No spring washer, half friction plate, clutch boss spring and spring seat.. Just 8 friction disks and 7 steel.

I hate the fanning action (jerky) of this Barnett and was told by them to replace the friction plates. Which I will, but if I go back to stock friction and steel plates, will this smooth out the clutch fanning/slipping action? Make it slip more? I had a hard time fanning in a 1st gear with very little lever movement. It would lock up fast, and when I pulled to fan the clutch it would completely disengage.

Thanks

I'll trade you my stock for the barnett??????

How ya been? Have a safe and fun night tonight!

Jeff

Nah:biglaugh: After all. how lame would it look to see a stock pressure plate spinning behind the leaky Plexiglas? :biglaugh: I'll get the new 8 friction disks and see how it goes. Then go to the half plates if it locks to hard.

Iv been alright cept Santa brought me a chunk of coal this year. Bout you?

Im on call tonight new years eave..:biglaugh: My boss wouldn't call me if the chiller plant blew up though. :rofl_200: Iv trained him well.
And two of my friends just had surgery:punk:. Its gonna be a smooth night.

Attachments

• vmaxclutch 005.jpg
    vmaxclutch 005.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 63
  • vmaxclutch 004.jpg
    vmaxclutch 004.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 65
  • vmaxclutch 012.jpg
    vmaxclutch 012.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 68
I just removed my stock clutch (slipping bad) and installed a new one from PCW two days ago. The whole job took less than 2 hours, and that was with an oil change and milking the whole job. The PCW clutch comes as a kit with everything you need, including very detailed instructions. If you can change the oil on the bike, you can replace the clutch, it really is that easy. And I am VERY happy with the new one. Should have done it last year. My max has almost 60k miles on it, and the plates were fine. You should glass bead blast them, but I used some strong scotch brite pads and just "scuffed" them up a bit to bite into the new friction discs. As I said, it works perfectly. Good Luck!!
Check out this link also:
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm

Shawn, the last steel plate is the same as the rest of them. So, you need 8 friction discs (1 replaces 1/2 friction disc) and 7 steel plates. You can throw away the retainer ring/piano wire, clutch boss spring and clutch boss seat.

Just so it's clear. Sorry I need pics.
clutchparts.JPGclutchparts2.JPG

• For a DD mod, piggyback another 12 on 12.
  • For a HD upgrade like PCW, or Barnett replace 12 with HD version.
  • In either case, throw out 4,5,6 and replace 7 with an eighth 9
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Exactly how much more hand strength are we talking about here for the different setups? I realize the PCW (and Std Bartlett) are a step up from stock and DD is a step up from PCW/Bartlett. There aren't any Maxes around me, let alone one with any of these mods, so I can't have an on-hand experience. Is there a way you guys can relate it with something like different grip strengtheners

849371701p

i believe the barnett is a new plate, whereas the pcw is a a 25-50% stronger spring, the DD doubles the spring so its essentially 2x the pull.

i believe the barnett is a new plate, whereas the pcw is a a 25-50% stronger spring, the DD doubles the spring so its essentially 2x the pull.

Yes sir - DD holds the best of those all.

Barrnet provides more precise pressuring, 6 coils arrange the engagment pressure better - personaly i would increase the spring rate by 15% for barrnet config.

so maybe i wasn't clear? the clutch lever. for each type of mod, how much harder is it to squeeze?

so maybe i wasn't clear? the clutch lever. for each type of mod, how much harder is it to squeeze?

not having experienced them all and guessing from others estimate of 'more holding power than stock' i assumed the pull is that much harder on those specific clutches. on my dd with an fjr master its maybe 10-15% harder than stock to pull.

not having experienced them all and guessing from others estimate of 'more holding power than stock' i assumed the pull is that much harder on those specific clutches. on my dd with an fjr master its maybe 10-15% harder than stock to pull.

ahh, ok. things are clearer now. thanks. and your fjr master is or isn't 14mm bore (i think that is the suggestion for making the dd easier...shrug...dunno)

ahh, ok. things are clearer now. thanks. and your fjr master is or isn't 14mm bore (i think that is the suggestion for making the dd easier...shrug...dunno)

i think it has a great feel. some ebay shorty levers and the play is perfect.

a bit harder to shift into neutral now, but otherwise love it.

power wheelying while in second is fun!

If I can do it , after having a stroke 5 years ago and left with some residual weakness in my left side, I know you will be able to handle it just fine. My bike is a 85 model with 21k on it, for the most part all original. When my clutch started to slip, I did the DD mod and used the original friction plates and steels , I have no more slippage . +1 for the DD mod.

If I can do it , after having a stroke 5 years ago and left with some residual weakness in my left side, I know you will be able to handle it just fine. My bike is a 85 model with 21k on it, for the most part all original. When my clutch started to slip, I did the DD mod and used the original friction plates and steels , I have no more slippage . +1 for the DD mod.

well i think this has been the most convincing statement. thanks joe!

Back