Changing the clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mad Max

Is there a list of parts here of what I should order for changing the clutch. Is there other stuff besides the clutch plates that I should get?

Is there a list of parts here of what I should order for changing the clutch. Is there other stuff besides the clutch plates that I should get?

The stock stuff is pretty good... You will want all the friction plates for sure...

If you want to spend some money you can get the Barnett clutch kit too. Gives better clamping power.

Another option is to use heavy duty clutch spring from pcwracing.net. I have that and haven't had a slipping clutch in years.

Mark

The retarded clutch boss needs removed and replaced with full size parts.

Stock friction discs are the best.

Bead blast the steel discs!

Call PCW,They sell a nice little kit,60% stronger spring,discs and all to replace the clutch boss.

The retarded clutch boss needs removed and replaced with full size parts.

Stock friction discs are the best.

Bead blast the steel discs!

Call PCW,They sell a nice little kit,60% stronger spring,discs and all to replace the clutch boss.

OK... Boss??? Show me a pic Shawn...:confused2: :ummm:

I can't show pictures, but if you look at the microfiche there is a half friction disk at the back, with a half steel plate inside of it. That's the clutch boss that he's talking about.
It can be replaced with a full sized friction plate.

Just as a heads up, I wanted to get the spring from PCW and called them.
They talked me out of it.
I was told that I shouldn't put their clutch in a Max with weak gears unless it was known to be fixed or if I wanted to take it apart while they were on the phone with me to make sure everything would be alright.
That's looking out for your customers right there!
In the future, If I need anything, I won't hesitate to call them and forward my cash their way.:punk:
Great customer care:thumbs up:

That's interesting. Yamaha did make the clutch the weak point....cheapest to fix. Brand new stock clutches slip from the get-go.

Mark

That's looking out for your customers right there!
In the future, If I need anything, I won't hesitate to call them and forward my cash their way.:punk:
Great customer care:thumbs up:

Sounds more like covering of their ass to me... :whistlin: Probably ran into that one before...

OK... Boss??? Show me a pic Shawn...:confused2: :ummm:
Its in the back of the clutch.A little friction plate and a small spring ring held in place by a really stupid retaining wire.It can be removed and replaced with full size discs.

I can't remember right now if you need another steel disc too.I think you do but you definately need another friction disc.I did this long ago and am not sure now.My clutch basket exploded shortly after buying my Max.Cool as hell!

I have one of their springs and the stock one in too. My clutch does not slip.Makes you feel like Popeye when riding in traffic though.

Its in the back of the clutch.A little friction plate and a small spring ring held in place by a really stupid retaining wire.It can be removed and replaced with full size discs.

I can't remember right now if you need another steel disc too.I think you do but you definately need another friction disc.I did this long ago and am not sure now.My clutch basket exploded shortly after buying my Max.Cool as hell!

I have one of their springs and the stock one in too. My clutch does not slip.Makes you feel like Popeye when riding in traffic though.

I am familier with what you are explaining... Mine seems good right now and the fact that I haven't put but 400 miles on it this year means NO MORE MODDING!:bang head:

Shawn, the last steel plate is the same as the rest of them. So, you need 8 friction discs (1 replaces 1/2 friction disc) and 7 steel plates. You can throw away the retainer ring/piano wire, clutch boss spring and clutch boss seat.

Mark

Shawn, the last steel plate is the same as the rest of them. So, you need 8 friction discs (1 replaces 1/2 friction disc) and 7 steel plates. You can throw away the retainer ring/piano wire, clutch boss spring and clutch boss seat.

Mark

Ya, Hoop it!

I'm interested in doing the double D

see if I get this right...

I need a new diapraghm spring of course

A full set of clutch friction discs plus one more full size.

Do the friction discs come individually or as a kit?

Is it possible to buy just one friction disc?

Do I need and extra steel disc to do this?
Will I regret it? Is it miserably stiff or just "Manly" stiff?

Thanks,

Rusty

You can get the friction discs and steel plates individually. You could get by with just keeping it stock except the heavy duty clutch spring. It's a smoother engagement of the clutch.

Mark

I don't like the diaghram springs as they seem either on or off to me. The coil springs are more linear. That's just my perception though... :confused2:

The Barnett setup is pretty stout. Parades are not a fun thing with it now.

I don't like the diaghram springs as they seem either on or off to me. The coil springs are more linear. That's just my perception though... :confused2:

The Barnett setup is pretty stout. Parades are not a fun thing with it now.

I feel mine has twice the feel over stock now with the extra PCW spring and the stock spring.As far as being on or off,I do not agree.It can seriously suck in a traffic jam.

I bead blasted my steel plates about 3 years ago.I had the clutch apart recently to check it out.The plates looked like I blasted them yesterday and the frictions still looked brand new.There are at least 30-40 runs at the strip on this and around 5-6k miles on it maybe more.

IT DOES NOT SLIP!

Clutch plates - What's the best to use?

The bike has started to slip the clutch when boost cuts in in fifth gear roll ons so I want to do a couple of things when I pull the clutch down.

1) Douple D mod or a Barnett clutch kit.

2) Replace the friction plates.

3) Anything else forum members recommend I look for or replace during clutch overhaul.

What is the best type of material to use for firction plates?

Who sells them?

What is the best clutch upgrade short of a lockup clutch?

What other components should I check while I'm at it?

Re: Clutch plates - What's the best to use?

The bike has started to slip the clutch when boost cuts in in fifth gear roll ons so I want to do a couple of things when I pull the clutch down.

1) Douple D mod or a Barnett clutch kit.

2) Replace the friction plates.

3) Anything else forum members recommend I look for or replace during clutch overhaul.

What is the best type of material to use for firction plates?

Who sells them?

What is the best clutch upgrade short of a lockup clutch?

What other components should I check while I'm at it?

Lot's 'O good info in this thread Gleno...

I have the Barnett and love it...:thumbs up:

Just get stock Yami friction discs and have your steels bead blasted. Get the heavy duty clutch spring at pcwracing.net, new gasket and you're done!

Mark

Back