Cheap rain suits...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frog Togs are reasonably effective. You can probably pick some up at a big box sporting good store ... Bass Pro or Academy.

I use a US Coast Guard Issued rain suit and it does NOT keep me dry. I have yet to find one that will. Best I've found keeps me less than soaked ... that is, some part of my body is dry.

Cheap suits often disintegrate from the wind blast at highway speeds. A dedicated motorcycle suit is best. Most others can't handle the combination of wind and wind blown rain. The original Frogg Toggs were crap for bikes but they may be better now. A good suit has a hood that goes under the helmet and keeps rain from going down your neck. You do not want to be wet riding at speed down the highway. The wind chill factor is incredibly worse when you are wet.

I was looking at those.

Do I get these to fit over my road gear? Meaning if I wear a large get an extra large or xxx?

Todd

Todd, yes ... get'm a size larger to fit over your gear. And, m-cman is correct that these do not provide an ideal "long term" solution. However, they aren't going to shred on you the first time out - and they are going to help your comfort level tremendously.

If you are going to make the move to general all weather riding - invest in something more specialized than frog togs.

i have the more expensive motorcycle suits now. but used the el cheapo walmart rain suit from the sporting goods dept along with some duct tape. throw it away when done.

+1 to the frog toggs. Nice thing is they roll up and store in a small space. I got mine at Bass pro on sale for $29

I have a two piece PVC rain suit, brand new, size large. I will get the brand and style (and a photo) this evening. I think I paid around $99 for it. I melted a similar set on the exhaust on my M109R so I decided not to use this one.

If interested, make an offer.

I use a Tourmaster 2 piece rain suit which works great, but cost about $150 5 years ago. It fits over my leather jacket, but would not fit over my riding pants, which I have used in place of my rain pants but they eventually soak through. I've ridden from Port Huron to just north of Gaylord in rain, sometimes heavy rain, all my clothing stayed dry while the only thing that leaked was around my face shield in the heavy stuff. It is amazing how well this gear works and allowed me to concentrate on the conditions and traffic around me and not about a stream of water running up a sleeve or down the neck. I agree with what M-Cman said a hood under the helmet, it is a must. In Michigan being wet and riding can lead to hypothermic conditions quickly but down south that is not as much of a worry.
If you get frog togs make sure they have exhaust shield protection as they can be a bit baggy fit and will melt easily, at least with the couple sets that I saw people wearing. They may have trimmer fitting sets.
Oh also don't overlook gloves, especially if your riding long distances in the rain. I have a pair of A-stars gauntlet gloves that are lightly insulated and have a goretex membrane which keep my hands warm a nd dry. I used them this last weekend riding a snowmobile (w/ grip warmers) and my hands never were cold although my thumb did get a little chilled because the thumb warmer was not working. 15* to 20* weather before wind chill.
I also wear waterproof boots which also helps to maintain comfort while riding long distances in the wet.

Look for Gore-Tex closeout skiing top & bottom sets, the shell-style, you will wear your insulated clothing under it. Yes to +1 size bigger than you would wear. You can also use the lanyard-style Velcro bands to gather any excess fabric if the set doesn't have built-in 'gathers.' The ones w/the slot in them, at one end, to use for fastening things for hanging on pegs in the garage. They come in different lengths.

Don't forget to have some good rain-repellant boots, and some gloves the same. I got a pair of hockey gloves which are supposed to fit over a slim pair of inner gloves. They are totally waterproof.

I have a nice XXL coat in the clothing section, inexpensive, great quality-Firstgear ballistic nylon, zip-out polyester insulated liner, I hardly used it.

Keeping hands, feet, and your neck area dry and warm will greatly improve your comfort level.

Another +1 for the Frog Togs. Used them in an absolutely drenching rain in No. Carolina on a tail of the Dragon trip. Kept both of us dry. People with us didn't have them and got wet.
Lew

I think the heavier Frog Toggs brand made a little heavier, perhaps for motorcycling, is called Road Toads. It was my understanding the Road Toads were made from heavier material, and therefore, would stand up to more wind speeds w/o ripping apart.

Shala & I use good quality First Gear coats which are waterproof, but they are so heavy that even without the cold weather liners zipped in, they can create a lot of sweating in warmer weather during downpours when you have to have them buttoned down, and all the vents zipped closed. Our other, motorcycle specific, dedicated heavy rubber suits will do exactly the same thing - lots of sweat - to the point that when you get some place dry, and remove them, you think they didn't work at all....but it's sweat instead of rain water. Plus, with those, you have to decide when & where to pull over, get them out of the wherever they are stored, and put them on......usually roadside with traffic wizzing past, otherwise you'd be sweating in anticipation of the approaching storm.

Face it, riding in the rain usually just sucks, especially if there's much other traffic present. At least it does for me. I much prefer fair weather riding.

I am just concerned that I get in KY and start riding down to Florida in a couple weeks and I hit lots of rain or worse snow.

Nothing like riding a brand new to you bike you have never ridden before in the rain in the mountains, and then come on snow!

Todd

I picked this one up last year and ended up riding through what felt like the storm of the century. Kept me 100% dry and I don't find it bulky or cumbersome. Easily rolled up and fit in a small trunk bag. Size wise I don't know about the upper end, generally I'm a medium across the board for most things and only 5'10".

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-rs-2-two-piece-rainsuit

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I got a set of Road Toads and they worked well for me. But admittedly I was only riding in the rain for about an hour. But they kept me dry. I often use the pants when commuting to work just to handle the road mist/splash since I work in a "business casual attire" environment.

I can remember years and years ago getting caught up in a rain storm on my sabre 700 I stopped and pickup a cheap suit only to watch it shred apart...Rain stung pretty bad too
I got caught in the rain riding my Sabre 700 :biglaugh: back from Leelanau back to Flushing, stopped in Mt. Pleasant soaked and freezing. Dried off in a restaurant and picked up some thick vinyl rain suits; pants worked ok but the tops were falling apart but one of the guys had a bright idea to buy some duct tape which saved the day.

Back