Cleaning carb gunk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpclynch

Reaction score
I got a set of second hand carbs the other day, started a complete strip down & clean last night.

Came across some fuel "gunk" as you can see below (looked and felt like old soap)
DSCN0439.JPG
Took some time to clean but it looks ok now.

GREEN = Main Jet
BLUE = Pilot Jet
YELLOW = Main Bleed Pipe
PURPLE = Needle Jet
RED = ?????????

so here's my question: What is in the chamber on the right? What does it do for me?

Looks like there is a tiny pinhole at the bottom of the brass plug where the small red arrow is but I cant get the pieces apart to clean them properly

Wow are those some dirty carbs.I think that small brass thing is a plug.I hope you completely tore all this apart and cleaned everything.The jets in that block.Almost looks like a polkCLR carb.DO NOT CLEAN CARBS WITH CLR!

I got a set of second hand carbs the other day, started a complete strip down & clean last night.

Came across some fuel "gunk" as you can see below (looked and felt like old soap)
View attachment 1094
Took some time to clean but it looks ok now.

GREEN = Main Jet
BLUE = Pilot Jet
YELLOW = Main Bleed Pipe
PURPLE = Needle Jet
RED = ?????????

so here's my question: What is in the chamber on the right? What does it do for me?

Looks like there is a tiny pinhole at the bottom of the brass plug where the small red arrow is but I cant get the pieces apart to clean them properly

I believe that little circuit is used to supply fuel to the choke valve. See the little hole above your red arrow? Fuel enter through there and exits the bottom of the jet block when the choke plunger opens. As Shawn said, the other nipple is just a brass plug.

Mark

That does look pretty nasty in there...make sure you take the jet block off and pull the rubber plugs and get the 2 jets out making sure they are open..especially the pilot jet as it has a very tiny orfice, I use Honda Carb cleaner then follow it up with Honda Brake/Contact Cleaner then lots of air, everything with an orfice will have an exit hole somewhere so make sure when you blow into it that it is exiting somewhere else or you will be pulling the carbs again and your hair as well!! You can check each carbs float level statically by using the 1.1250 with a calipers that is pretty much right on for the 17mm level if thats what you are looking for then fill them with fuel and use the hose method to doublecheck your level then if not correct pull the float bowl and adjust the float tab if you have to.

Zeke

I had a look at one of the cleaner carbs and there is a tiny hole at the bottom of that brass plug.

I wouldn't say there was alcohol running through it, just poor quality fuel I'd say.
I cleaned them inside and out. Only problem would be that brass plug (can't get behind it to clean whats in there)

It being part of the choke circuit would make sence, I'll squeeze some fuel into it later and watch where it comes out

I have the jet block laying right beside me and yes that brass plug does have a hole in it..about the same size as the pilot jet so damn small...when blowing or shooting carb cleaner thru it you should get air or cleaner thru the hole forward in the same passageway plus the hole underneath the front of the passageway this then does go to the choke side of the carb like Mark said. This brass part does NOT come out so you will have to soak it or use alot of air to get it open...on something real stubborn I have cut one bristle off of a wire brush just to get a hole started but be careful to not enlarge the hole, once you get an opening it should clean out with carb cleaner, air or an overnight soaking. Good Luck!!

Zeke

Latest posts

Back