Clutch Leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUNNELRAT

Reaction score
i have a 1989 vmax with a clutch leak, i think. the leak isn't coming from the master cylinder but from the connection below, i think. is it a simple fix? i tried to loosen the nut for the end connection, but there's no room to turn a wrench. i tried to take, what looks like the cover off the side, and just leaked oil. what should i do to remedy this problem? and is it just a brass washer to replace on the bottom end of the line (connected to the motor)?

TUNNELRAT said:
i have a 1989 vmax with a clutch leak, i think. the leak isn't coming from the master cylinder but from the connection below, i think. is it a simple fix? i tried to loosen the nut for the end connection, but there's no room to turn a wrench. i tried to take, what looks like the cover off the side, and just leaked oil. what should i do to remedy this problem? and is it just a brass washer to replace on the bottom end of the line (connected to the motor)?

My '88 is doing that as well. I have yet ot take it apart, but it appears that the slave cylinder is leaking and just needs to be rebuilt. You can buy slave cylinder rebuild kits on e-bay for about $25. and do it yourself.

Careful removing the slave. One of the bolt heads (Allen bolts) stripped on me and it was a bitch to get out.

TUNNELRAT said:
Just something to consider. With a bike that's 20 years old or so, the cylinder might be worn or pitted. See how much a new one costs, because in the long run it just might be cheaper if you're going to keep the bike for some time. I know a few where the kit did not correct the problem for any length of time and the $25 went out the window. With a hefty discount you'll have piece of mind and much less bother. Like I said, just something to consider.

mikemax04 said:
Just something to consider. With a bike that's 20 years old or so, the cylinder might be worn or pitted. See how much a new one costs, because in the long run it just might be cheaper if you're going to keep the bike for some time. I know a few where the kit did not correct the problem for any length of time and the $25 went out the window. With a hefty discount you'll have piece of mind and much less bother. Like I said, just something to consider.

I agree with Mike, when mine leaked I just bought a new one (OTOH I didn't know there was a rebuild kit), plus now would be a good time to swap in the braided line! :thumbup1:

Mine was leaking from the clutch slave cylinder. At first, I just removed the slave and noticed some pitting inside, so I sanded it with a very fine grade of sandpaper to clean it off. That helped, but it was still leaking somewhat. So I bought a slave cylinder rebuild kit (basically the rubber seals and a spring) that I found on Ebay for about $15 and that fixed it completely.

It wasn't hard at all to do, although if you strip out the allen head bolt that holds the slave cylinder onto the block, you could be in some trouble. (It's WAY in there.)

Back